Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:20 AM

580 posts, read 1,421,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I can get across SF in a 10-15 minute drive, but it still feels larger than Houston and Atlanta. City limits are silly to use to compare how large a city feels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I thought you've never been to San Francisco .... ?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I haven't but I'm assuming by freeway, it should only take 10-15 minutes by freeway. It's only a 7 by 7 mile city.
@Ant

Lol

Old 10-30-2013, 09:41 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Have u seen the traffic in SF? a lot of people there drive, even with it being so dense. Its even worse because they don't have the large freeways.
It's atrocious.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:32 AM

68 posts, read 134,153 times
To me, this argument is stupid

Old 10-30-2013, 10:38 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Look again at a map of San Fransisco proper. There is a noticeable lack of freeways across it other than one major north to south freeway. The lack of freeways there is a serious impediment to traffic flow in the city itself. It's a choice they made, as was the case when they actually tore down the partially built waterfront Embarcadero Freeway. I don't blame San Fransisco though as their city is more beautiful for the lack of giant, concrete paths swirling across it.
But don't make the mistake of an "assumption" as to how traffic flows if you've not been there & are simply interpreting what you see via sites such as google maps, etc. They can only reveal so much. They cannot tell you what is going on down on the streets.
The result of the lack of freeways is an ungodly, slow-crawling gridlocked mess on many arterial roads & side streets. It can truly be mind-numbingly bad & an issue even at non rush hour time frames.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:39 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Because we can, Ansley...because we can....Because it's human nature to compare and contrast and debate and argue over "whose is bigger" and "whose is better"....Even though Atlanta and Houston are two totally and completely different cities, people very-often like to compare and contrast them because they are two cities of similar size in the Sunbelt.
Being in Texas the last 10 years, would say that Dallas is a better comparison to Atlanta. Fort Worth added in makes the metro area here a good bit larger, larger even than Houston, but take Fort Worth out of the mix and you have cities that mirror each other in many ways.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:48 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
My nose was itching, so I thought I'd check out the Atlanta forum. Low and behold, there's yet another Houston bashing discussion commencing.

Meanwhile, in the Houston forum, the name "Atlanta" is met with a chorus of cricket chirps.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:54 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
My nose was itching, so I thought I'd check out the Atlanta forum. Low and behold, there's yet another Houston bashing discussion commencing.

Meanwhile, in the Houston forum, the name "Atlanta" is met with a chorus of cricket chirps.

Touche. Any thoughts on the topic, though? I haven't been to Houston, but I've heard some people say it feels quite a bit bigger than Atlanta.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

Minute Maid park is in downtown as is the Toyota Center. There's also a BBVA Compass soccer stadium.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=houst...is,+Texas&z=16

And the University of Houston has a campus in downtown.

University of Houston, about 14,000 students.
Didn't even know about the downtown stadiums or university, yet he can be found in numerous threads around this website speaking about Downtown Houston with an authority like you wouldn't believe. Give me a break!

Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuckinthesouth View Post
Touche. Any thoughts on the topic, though? I haven't been to Houston, but I've heard some people say it feels quite a bit bigger than Atlanta.
In most of the city, I believe it does. Highrises as far as the eye can see, wide freeways, fast drivers, etc. For me, personally, once you leave the main north-south drags of Atlanta, it begins to feel like a much smaller city. In Houston, on the other hand, it can seem impossible to escape the hustle and bustle on many days.

As it has been said in the thread, Houston's core is currently not as active and urbane as Atlanta's. Still, the former is set up on more of a navigable grid, and the metro-wide density is more consistent all around.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:12 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

But Atlanta is always on your mind as u stay in our forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta