Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 02:37 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Hahaha...I'm done. You guys are ridiculos. This is the part where I get my popcorn and watch you guys tear each other apart lol
Ridicolos. Greek derivative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 05:13 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
'Heinsight'?
Lord, have mercy.
That fits Pittsburgh better.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:56 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Still waiting for my obscene rep. Still jealous....
According to C-D, I must "spread it around" before I can insult you again ... LOL!

Last edited by Newsboy; 11-01-2013 at 07:17 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 07:50 PM

8 posts, read 10,637 times
Atlanta became important nationally, during the Civil War, and by 1895 showed the other states and the world it's culture during the Cotton States and International Exposition. It was a World's Fair built in Piedmont Park where President Grover Cleveland opened the event and important speeches were given by Henry Grady ("The New South") and Booker T. Washington ("The Atlanta Compromise"). The purpose was to foster trade between southern states and South American nations as well as to show the products and facilities of the region to the rest of the nation and to Europe. Importantly, it planned to show the world that it wanted to correct its mistakes of the past and show its new city in the new south. Whether the south had changed, I doubt it, but Atlanta was determined to change and bring the rest of the south dragging behind it.

Atlanta has the oldest civic ballet company in the US. Atlanta is one of few United States cities with permanent, professional, resident companies in all major performing arts disciplines: opera (Atlanta Opera), ballet (Atlanta Ballet), music (Atlanta Symphony Orchestra), and theater (the Alliance Theatre). The Atlanta Symphony was rated world class before the 1996 Olympiad and has travelled the world to rave reviews. The Woodruff Arts Center is backed by Robert W. Woodruff, deceased founder of the Coca-Cola Company and has produced many local plays that have gone on nationally.

Atlanta is a national center of the Arts with the HIGH Museum, one of the most visited and respected museums of the world. Atlanta has two Museums of Contemporary Art and the only Museum of Design south of NYC. Atlanta attracts the best of Broadway and musical acts across the world.

Musically, Atlanta was a center for Appalachian music, then Country music, Southern Rock, Punk, and is now the Rap music capital of the world.

Atlanta is now one of the most multi-cultural cities in the US. Countless movies, books, and plays have been based here.

Finally, Atlanta has been the center of culture in the south since before the nineteenth century, has added to the culture of the nation especially after the middle of the twentieth century with the civil rights movement. In architecture, John Portman created the atrium hotel and changed the look and feel of hotels forever.

Atlanta showed the nation and the world its culture of optimism and unbridled enthusiasm by competing and winning the 1996 Olympics against all odds.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:17 AM

123 posts, read 152,898 times
I'm just moving here this month and I'm a little worried. Coming from Chicago, this is not going to be easy. So far it seems like a lot of strip malls, condo complexes, fast food restaurants and expressways. I'd love to start exploring some neighborhoods, but it seems that public transportation around here completely blows. Can't wait to get a car! I was in downtown Decatur yesterday and it was amazing. That's exactly the kind of quiet but urban life and culture I am looking for.

I'm sure I'll end up liking Atlanta - and finding it's "culture." But man, am I missing Chicago! (won't miss that snow though).

Old 11-10-2013, 10:26 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan alan View Post
I was in downtown Decatur yesterday and it was amazing. That's exactly the kind of quiet but urban life and culture I am looking for.

I'm sure I'll end up liking Atlanta - and finding it's "culture."
If you prefer the Decatur-type vibe you'll want to concentrate on the older areas of town, most of which are in the city of Atlanta proper or nearby. There are also some great smaller towns around the metro area -- don't miss downtown Marietta, for example.

The suburbs saw most of their growth following WWII, however, and were typically built with automobile commuting in mind. They tend to be more spread out, though many of them are very sophisticated and diverse.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times
Quote:
I'm just moving here this month and I'm a little worried. Coming from Chicago, this is not going to be easy. So far it seems like a lot of strip malls, condo complexes, fast food restaurants and expressways. I'd love to start exploring some neighborhoods, but it seems that public transportation around here completely blows. Can't wait to get a car! I was in downtown Decatur yesterday and it was amazing. That's exactly the kind of quiet but urban life and culture I am looking for.

I'm sure I'll end up liking Atlanta - and finding it's "culture." But man, am I missing Chicago! (won't miss that snow though).
Megabus runs to CHicago daily from here. Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Old 11-10-2013, 12:50 PM

123 posts, read 152,898 times
Nice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Old 11-10-2013, 01:49 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalResNativAtlanta View Post
Finally, Atlanta has been the center of culture in the south since before the nineteenth century...
How can Atlanta have been "the center of culture in the south since before the nineteenth century" when it didn't even exist before the nineteenth century??????

Quote:

You just have to find your bearings. Yes Atlanta overall is more suburban than a city like Chicago given historical growth patterns, but there are definitely some urban gems here. Make sure you check out Old Fourth Ward, Sweet Auburn, Virginia-Highland, Little Five Points, Grant Park, Inman Park, Vinings, Castleberry Hill, West End, Edgewood, Kirkwood, East Atlanta Village, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Megabus runs to CHicago daily from here. Don't let the door hit you on the way out
That's completely uncalled for. Unfortunately, this is a reason why some people sour on Atlanta before they get a chance to completely explore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta