Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:39 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

We enjoy the Fortune Cookie. Loehmann's Plaza at Briarcliff and N Druid Hills Rds.

www.fortunecookietogo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 06:53 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Yeah there are plenty of places like that in Gwinnett County. You have to go where that demographic of people live to find the food that you are looking for. That's like living in Bankhead and complaining about that area not having any good sushi lol.
The food at the Chinese takeout places that don't even have tables in the black neighborhoods in Chicago is way better than the Chinese food I've eaten in any restaurant here in Atlanta. Hardly ever even had to go to Chinatown to get good Chinese food there. I could get it right up the street in my south side neighborhood, or anywhere on the south side for that matter. For other ethnic foods yeah. For Chinese food, no. So I disagree with you on that. At least in my own experience.

Quote:
Anybody saying METRO Atlanta does not have any good Chinese restaurants again do not know what they are talking about.
When you have experienced the Chinese food in cities that have long-established Chinatowns/Chinese communities then come to Atlanta, there is a huge taste difference. And I'm sorry--it just doesn't taste nearly as good here.

Quote:
Screw the chinese food check out the soul food here which is the best in the country
I haven't been bowled over by the soul food here either. Kinda bland. I guess because I had a Mississippi grandma who knew how to throw down . Also experienced better soul food eateries back home; great fried fish places too. But I'm not much of a soul food eater anyway. I don't eat it all now.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:04 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
The food at the Chinese takeout places that don't even have tables in the black neighborhoods in Chicago is way better than the Chinese food I've eaten in any restaurant here in Atlanta. Hardly ever even had to go to Chinatown to get good Chinese food there. I could get it right up the street in my south side neighborhood, or anywhere on the south side for that matter. For other ethnic foods yeah. For Chinese food, no. So I disagree with you on that. At least in my own experience.

When you have experienced the Chinese food in cities that have long-established Chinatowns/Chinese communities then come to Atlanta, there is a huge taste difference. And I'm sorry--it just doesn't taste nearly as good here.

I haven't been bowled over by the soul food here either. Kinda bland. I guess because I had a Mississippi grandma who knew how to throw down . Also experienced better soul food eateries back home; great fried fish places too. But I'm not much of a soul food eater anyway. I don't eat it all now.
I stopped reading the first sentence after I saw the word Chicago. Sorry.

The moral of the story is most of the chinese restaurants in metro Atlanta are in Gwinnett and whoever that says otherwise do not know what they are talking about.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I stopped reading the first sentence after I saw the word Chicago. Sorry.

The moral of the story is most of the chinese restaurants in metro Atlanta are in Gwinnett and whoever that says otherwise do not know what they are talking about.
Good for you. You don't have to read it. Doesn't change that the Chinese food here is nasty lol.

ETA: When someone wants good American Chinese, that typically means they want good Chinese takeout and don't want to have to drive 20 miles to a sit-down restaurant to have it. They don't make good American Chinese takeout in Atlanta.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 AM

668 posts, read 994,294 times
We like Aloha on Piedmont across from the Publix shopping center on North Avenue. They only have about three tables in there so we always get it to go. They're not totally American Chinese (no chop suey) but in the 10 years we've been ordering from them they rarely have a dish we don't like.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
We like Aloha on Piedmont across from the Publix shopping center on North Avenue. They only have about three tables in there so we always get it to go. They're not totally American Chinese (no chop suey) but in the 10 years we've been ordering from them they rarely have a dish we don't like.
I used to eat there. It was one of the better ones I've had here. Still not as good as what I was used to, but you are right, it is definitely better than most of the others. My favorite was their Mongolian chicken.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:16 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Good for you. You don't have to read it. Doesn't change that the Chinese food here is nasty lol.

Not nastier than the 500 murders, the extremely high taxes, the below average looking women, the over casted extremely cold weather, the highest parking rate in the country, the extreme segregation, the subpar AA professional nightlife, flat topography, etc in Chicago. Now that is nasty lol

Old 11-01-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Not nastier than the 500 murders, the extremely high taxes, the below average looking women, the over casted extremely cold weather, the highest parking rate in the country, the extreme segregation, the subpar AA professional nightlife, flat topography, etc in Chicago. Now that is nasty lol
Whatever Tony. If that makes you feel good to say. I think the topic is about Chinese food.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
Atlanta BD I feel your pain.

ATLJTL and Bryant thank you for the suggestions. Will give them a try.
Alternatively, they have good Thai and Vietnamese here. The Chinese they can't get quite right though.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
Chinese-American: I get take out from Chico and Chang Chico & Chang - Atlanta - GA - 30308 - Menu - Chinese, Lunch Specials, Mexican - Online Food Delivery Catering in Atlanta With Coupon | Discount

Cantonese Chinese: Bo Bo Garden - Doraville - Atlanta | Urbanspoon

Szechuan Chinese: Tasty China
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta