Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Downgrading a school with a very good local reputation to an add on to a school like Kennesaw State which has very little reputation anywhere, except as a fallback school for those who don't get into UGA, is foolish and will be bad for the state.
US News ranks KSU higher than SPSU.

Forbes lists KSU in its rankings of "America's Top Colleges" (pretty far down, but it is there) yet it does not list SPSU.

University System of Georgia lists KSU as a comprehensive university (tier 2), ahead of SPSU (a tier 3 state university).

I count at least four doctoral programs at KSU (including a PhD) and none at SPSU.

There was a time when KSU (or the colleges that preceded it) had little to no reputation. But those days are past. It is a rapidly growing university and is getting national recognition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 07:45 PM

93 posts, read 110,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
US News ranks KSU higher than SPSU.

Forbes lists KSU in its rankings of "America's Top Colleges" (pretty far down, but it is there) yet it does not list SPSU.

University System of Georgia lists KSU as a comprehensive university (tier 2), ahead of SPSU (a tier 3 state university).

I count at least four doctoral programs at KSU (including a PhD) and none at SPSU.

There was a time when KSU (or the colleges that preceded it) had little to no reputation. But those days are past. It is a rapidly growing university and is getting national recognition.
SPSU is a niche school that fills a very important role for Georgia.

This is not hard to understand.

Do you think that SPSU is going to get better or worse by joining KSU?

SPSU offers a pretty damn good ROI for a "Tier 3" college. College Education Value Rankings - PayScale 2013 College ROI Report

SPSU #99 vs. KSU at #756

What about career earnings:

SPSU #136 vs. KSU #753

Not bad for a Tier 3 school with no reputation.

USNWR as your reference on what makes a good college is either laziness and shows a lack of understanding of college rankings... or both.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MARTAFan View Post
SPSU is a niche school that fills a very important role for Georgia.

This is not hard to understand.

Do you think that SPSU is going to get better or worse by joining KSU?
I think SPSU students are understandably upset. But I think that in their anger they are making comments about KSU that are factually untrue.

I also think everyone needs to remember this was not a decision made by KSU or SPSU. It was a decision made by the board of regents. To blame KSU for it is directing your energies in the wrong place.

Quote:
SPSU offers a pretty damn good ROI for a "Tier 3" college. College Education Value Rankings - PayScale 2013 College ROI Report

SPSU #99 vs. KSU at #756

What about career earnings:

SPSU #136 vs. KSU #753

Not bad for a Tier 3 school with no reputation.

USNWR as your reference on what makes a good college is either laziness and shows a lack of understanding of college rankings... or both.

Perhaps you should learn to read.

I never said SPSU had "no reputation". I never claimed that USNWR was an indicator of a good college (a rank of #69 of southern universities is not all that great).

Characterizing KSU as having "very little reputation anywhere" is just wrong.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,349,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I think SPSU students are understandably upset. But I think that in their anger they are making comments about KSU that are factually untrue.

I also think everyone needs to remember this was not a decision made by KSU or SPSU. It was a decision made by the board of regents. To blame KSU for it is directing your energies in the wrong place.
Was this not a KSU power grab?

If you don't think they lobbied for this, you are naive.

Quote:
Perhaps you should learn to read.

I never said SPSU had "no reputation". I never claimed that USNWR was an indicator of a good college (a rank of #69 of southern universities is not all that great).

Characterizing KSU as having "very little reputation anywhere" is just wrong.
Then why use USNWR as your metric? If you know it is inaccurate and poor, why use it?

Hell, Forbes is even more laughable as a source. Their methodology is hilariously simplistic and shows nothing of value.

KSU does have a reputation... as a breeding ground for dumb coed strippers. That has been the reputation for a long time. Is it starting to change? Sure, it is getting better, but it is still just a mediocre suburban, commuter school for those who couldn't get into their first choice schools.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Then why use USNWR as your metric? If you know it is inaccurate and poor, why use it?
This was the only part of your post worthy of a response.

I used it as an example that KSU has some sort of recognition beyond Cobb County. Nothing more. I never offered any judgement on the accuracy of its rankings. That was someone else.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:53 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Something tells me that the folks who made this decision did so in a very informed manner. I don't think for a minute they set out to ignore the students and damage the two institutions. At least not based on what I've seen posted on this thread. I understand the emotional resistance to this, but I understand, too, the intellectual decision made. Now, whether it turns out to be good for all concerned is a different matter. I imagine that only time will tell.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,128,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Something tells me that the folks who made this decision did so in a very informed manner. I don't think for a minute they set out to ignore the students and damage the two institutions. At least not based on what I've seen posted on this thread. I understand the emotional resistance to this, but I understand, too, the intellectual decision made. Now, whether it turns out to be good for all concerned is a different matter. I imagine that only time will tell.
I just wonder if the BOR considered the long term repercussions? This will give KSU considerable academic weight with expanded programs and a large combined campus which will lead to future headbuttings with GSU. I mean KSU is being handed a complete 230 acre ready made campus which could give KSU dominance in the Atlanta market against one of the state's research universities, GSU. I just see this as favoring KSU and enervating GSU. One could say that would be fine in the spirit of free market competition, but this is government giving KSU a huge unfair advantage for which GSU is left to its own devices in response. The BOR who runs the game is picking a winner so to speak.

Part of the idea of this consolidation is to reduce internal competition between state schools. SPSU wasn't really competing with anyone, certainly not Tech. But I see this consolidation upsetting the USG Atlanta market by the BOR heavily favoring KSU and hurting GSU. Any consolidations should not affect other schools that are not a part of the merger, and in this case I think GSU will clearly be badly affected.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:34 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I just wonder if the BOR considered the long term repercussions? This will give KSU considerable academic weight with expanded programs and a large combined campus which will lead to future headbuttings with GSU. I mean KSU is being handed a complete 230 acre ready made campus which could give KSU dominance in the Atlanta market against one of the state's research universities, GSU. I just see this as favoring KSU and enervating GSU. One could say that would be fine in the spirit of free market competition, but this is government giving KSU a huge unfair advantage for which GSU is left to its own devices in response. The BOR who runs the game is picking a winner so to speak.

Part of the idea of this consolidation is to reduce internal competition between state schools. SPSU wasn't really competing with anyone, certainly not Tech. But I see this consolidation upsetting the USG Atlanta market by the BOR heavily favoring KSU and hurting GSU. Any consolidations should not affect other schools that are not a part of the merger, and in this case I think GSU will clearly be badly affected.
Why can't it be a both/and decision instead of an either/or? Wouldn't the phenomenal rate of growth in the last several decades in the whole of northern Georgia warrant two excellent universities? Why does one have to win and one have to lose in all of this?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:26 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
OK, I'm going to plead total ignorance here. Lived in Georgia most all my life, and I have NEVER, EVER understood what Southern Poly was about. It always appeared to be nothing more than a glorified tech school to me. Not a GEORGIA TECH-type school, but a GRIFFIN TECH-type school. Am I missing something?

Not to take away from the school or the students, but it never had a clear mission or identity in my book. I didn't even know until last week that it had a mascot. Really? Do they play sports?!

Old 11-06-2013, 01:02 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,520,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK, I'm going to plead total ignorance here. Lived in Georgia most all my life, and I have NEVER, EVER understood what Southern Poly was about. It always appeared to be nothing more than a glorified tech school to me. Not a GEORGIA TECH-type school, but a GRIFFIN TECH-type school. Am I missing something?
Big-time. Georgia Tech teaches you the theory of engineering and how to apply it, SPSU teaches you how to apply it. This is true across most of the schools including software engineering, mechanical, civil engineering, textile engineering, etc. The smaller classes and intense investment allow the students to touch the "hardware" early on in their academic career.
Quote:
Not to take away from the school or the students, but it never had a clear mission or identity in my book. I didn't even know until last week that it had a mascot. Really? Do they play sports?!
There are a few sports teams, but that's far from the emphasis of the school. At SPSU, sports are the afterthought and the school definitely does not have a "jock" population the way other schools do. You can't immediately tell who's an athlete and who's not unlike many other schools. The Hornet though is more generally ingrained in the school than just the sports side of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta