Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:00 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,446 times

Advertisements

omg guys what if Paul Broun actually wins. I think I might die

I actually don't mind Nathan Deal. What has he done that you didn't approve of?

Old 11-07-2013, 01:01 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
I once heard it said that Jimmy Carter is the only president to have used the White House as a stepping stone to reach even greater things.

I've known the Carter family well since I was a toddler. Jimmy and my dad did a stint together on the county school board before Jimmy went on into state politics. An extremely affable, generous and caring man. If Jason is half the man that Jimmy is, we would do well to elect him.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:19 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I once heard it said that Jimmy Carter is the only president to have used the White House as a stepping stone to reach even greater things.

I've known the Carter family well since I was a toddler. Jimmy and my dad did a stint together on the county school board before Jimmy went on into state politics. An extremely affable, generous and caring man. If Jason is half the man that Jimmy is, we would do well to elect him.
I have no doubt that Jimmy Carter as a person is one of the finest men ever to fill our Governor's mansion or the White House. But the democratic party of his day is no longer. Conservatives have no place. Here's to the state GOP coming up with someone sensible. Maybe Zell will come out of retirement and run for the GOP lol.

My oldest brother was a lifelong state employee. He LOATHED Jimmy Carter as governor, when he ran for POTUS and as a president. Said he screwed up state agencies more than anyone before or since. The rest of us thought he was harsh, but by and large all of us brothers (5 boys) and my parents have left the Dems since. I guess you can blame Reagan for that, lol.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:20 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:

Yes, I'm an old friend of a man that was on his staff at the Carter Center. By his account, extraordinarily principled, fair and caring. I simply think he was a disaster as a president, has a political philosophy that I disagree with completely.
I cant imagine that the apple falls too far from the tree.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,817 times
I don't think Deal is THAT bad, you know, aside from his ethics issues But really, for somebody who ran as a conservative republican, I think we could have done MUCH worse than Deal - he seems to have played a more moderate field on some issues (ie: transportation), although definitely more in line with Republicans on many issues (ie: healthcare). I'm also happy to see a republican governor and our democratic mayor on speaking terms. I'm a registered independent, but for me to actually vote for a Republican, they would have to campaign on an extremely moderate message - maybe fiscally conservative (who doesn't like a balanced budget?), but socially progressive, which I don't think will ever happen going into the future. EDIT: I guess this means a moderate democrat, after reading it again?

That said, I'm excited Carter is running for office, and we have a serious Democratic candidate in an increasingly purple state. I'm very excited to hear his campaign speeches, and see what he has to say about improving education, ethics, and transportation in Georgia. I will almost definitely be voting for him, or another Democrat if one comes along. I think he might actually have a shot at it - it's a little bit of a longer shot than I'd like to admit, but we have a year to see how this goes.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:27 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,642,473 times
He doesn't have a chance at all. Another Carter in office is a joke. He is wasting his time.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:43 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,478,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
The real question is will there be a large enough minority population to turn the state democrat. That's really all that's in play here - implants from other states, immigrants and population distribution.
Technically, on paper there is a large enough minority population to elect a Democrat to statewide office in Georgia.

...That's because minorities make up roughly about 45% of Georgia's population which is similar to the demographic makeup of the Democrat Party-dominated state of Maryland where minorities makeup just under 46% of the state's population.

But a major difference between Georgia and Maryland is that in Georgia a much-larger amount of white voters are Conservative and/or Republican voters.

Another major difference between Georgia and Maryland is that minorities don't vote in elections on as much of a consistent basis in Georgia as they do in Maryland.

...This is largely because the Democratic Party is much more active in Maryland (where the party and the accompanying left-leaning ideology is dominant in statewide politics) than it is in Georgia where the party has been almost totally non-existent in recent years and is currently virtually completely bankrupt (...there are reports that the Democratic Party of Georgia has had as little as only $15,000 on hand at times this year while the Georgia Republican Party continues to enjoy a massive fundraising advantage with tens-of-millions in the bank and many candidates each having near or over $1 million on hand at any given time).

With the demographics of the state of Georgia continuing to quickly evolve towards Georgia becoming a "majority-minority state" where majorities are slated to become and make up a majority of the state's population in the not-too-distant future (likely within the next decade or so), at least on paper, the Democrats have a good chance of making inroads into what otherwise would be a very-hostile political climate for them at the regional level in Metro Atlanta and at the statewide level in Georgia.

But with the almost complete lack of fundraising prowess in recent years, and with the virtual complete lack of statewide organization, it will likely continue to be difficult (but not necessarily impossible) for current Georgia Democrats to breakthrough and win a statewide office, particularly with Georgia being the epicenter of the national Tea Party movement and home to a conservative voting base that is likely more motivated than it is in any other state outside of the Southeastern U.S.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:49 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, I'm an old friend of a man that was on his staff at the Carter Center. By his account, extraordinarily principled, fair and caring. I simply think he was a disaster as a president, has a political philosophy that I disagree with completely.
I cant imagine that the apple falls too far from the tree.
This.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:29 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
He doesn't have a chance at all. Another Carter in office is a joke. He is wasting his time.
A "joke"? Really? Why would that be? I am sure that his politics are different than those of President Carter, as the world is different.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:32 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
A "joke"? Really? Why would that be? I am sure that his politics are different than those of President Carter, as the world is different.
And you would be sure of that because. ..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta