Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:54 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Very true. I was going to say that perhaps Birmingham deserves the "wretched" description relative to its history, but even then, it has to be realized that although Birmingham is a young city having been founded after the Civil War, the Civil Rights era doesn't constitute the entirety of the city's history.
birmingham probably fits the 'wretched past' description very well, especially when you consider the city's foundings as a steel town with workers both black and white in what is now considered slavery working at the sloss furnace and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Next Thursday celebrates the 150th Anniversary of being burned down and our railway being pulled up by Yankees. I would call that wretched by even the broadest definition.
LOL you'd think we could let it go after 150 years. yes, it sucked a lot, but everyone who was involved or affected by it is dead a lot, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
This black dude has said the same thing before as well.

It gets very tiresome some times listening to Northernors acting as if the South invented racism and they never had anything to do with it up there.

Not excusing the South for some of it's major indiscretions but people from Bristol and Liverpool England to New York and Boston, Havana and Rio and even Africans in Africa all profited greatly off slavery and the slave trade. It wasn't just a southern thing.
http://abagond.wordpress.com/2010/09...ple-as-slaves/

it doesn't make up for what we did down here. just because someone else did it doesn't make it terrible. nowadays racism is still around and i would bet it's just as common in the "union" cities as it is in metro atlanta, if it were studied. a quick google search regarding stop-and-frisk and some of the reasons people have for the decline of detroit can reveal some of the crap that's going around out there.

Last edited by bryantm3; 11-11-2013 at 12:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 11:58 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,841,604 times
Atlanta wouldn't be here today if it didn't have history. I think you can say Atlanta history doesn't standout well compared to other big southern cities.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times
[quote=Columbuskidd92;32179048]Atlanta wouldn't be here today if it didn't have history. I think you can say Atlanta history doesn't standout well compared to other big southern cities.[/QUOTE]

Like what BIG Southern cities?

Houston?No
Dallas?No
New Orleans?Yes
Charlotte?LOL.umm NO
Miami?No way!
Nashville?About the same.
Memphis?Maybe.Not really a big city comparably speaking

Old 11-11-2013, 02:28 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,398 times
[quote=afonega1;32179321]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Atlanta wouldn't be here today if it didn't have history. I think you can say Atlanta history doesn't standout well compared to other big southern cities.[/QUOTE]

Like what BIG Southern cities?

Houston?No
Dallas?No
New Orleans?Yes
Charlotte?LOL.umm NO
Miami?No way!
Nashville?About the same.
Memphis?Maybe.Not really a big city comparably speaking
Come on A! The criteria is "standout well" I think that Houston does that: "Remember the Alamo."

Dallas. I don't know any historical Dallas facts.

Charlotte. I don't know any historical Charlotte facts.

Miami. In your spare time, check out Cocaine Cowboys, if you haven't already. Miami has a very interesting past.

Nashville. I don't know any historical Nashville facts.

Memphis. I knew little about Memphis prior to moving there in 2003. That is, I knew that it was in TN and I erroneously thought that it was Opryland central. Memphis has an interesting past. I'm not certain which stands out more, Memphis or Atlanta. I don't know much about Atlanta's past. However, I'm interested in learning about it. Perhaps that's why I was more impressed with the Expedia.com video than most. We were at the zoo yesterday. I wanted to go into the Cyclorama. Whether it was open or not, my children were tired. Therefore, we went home.

Memphis is bigger than Atlanta, in terms of square miles and population. That can't be argued.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:51 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,096,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post

Come on A! The criteria is "standout well" I think that Houston does that: "Remember the Alamo."

Charlotte. I don't know any historical Charlotte facts.

Miami. In your spare time, check out Cocaine Cowboys, if you haven't already. Miami has a very interesting past.

Nashville. I don't know any historical Nashville facts.

Memphis. I knew little about Memphis prior to moving there in 2003. That is, I knew that it was in TN and I erroneously thought that it was Opryland central. Memphis has an interesting past. I'm not certain which stands out more, Memphis or Atlanta. I don't know much about Atlanta's past. However, I'm interested in learning about it. Perhaps that's why I was more impressed with the Expedia.com video than most. We were at the zoo yesterday. I wanted to go into the Cyclorama. Whether it was open or not, my children were tired. Therefore, we went home.

Memphis is bigger than Atlanta, in terms of square miles and population. That can't be argued.
The Alamo was in San Antonio not Houston. Also None of the cities you're naming have more national historic districts than Atlanta under 132 sq mi.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
the alamo was in san antonio not houston. Also none of the cities you're naming have more national historic districts than atlanta under 132 sq mi.
*snap*

Old 11-11-2013, 08:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,398 times
Quote:
The Alamo was in San Antonio not Houston. Also None of the cities you're naming have more national historic districts than Atlanta under 132 sq mi.
Meh, I was thinking of Sam Houston.

Correction: I don't know any Houston historical facts either.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,025 times
I can't totally disagree with the OP; there seems to be no conscious awareness of the city's history. Of course Atlanta has history; nobody is literally saying it doesn't have history because, perhaps, it was created out of nothing when this thread started.

Atlanta owes its existence to railroads, but you hardly see any of those railroads now, much less the ones still serving Atlanta. Many of the places pointed out by the poster on page 2 don't exist anymore. For example, Union Station has had three incarnations. Sure, the first one was burned by an invading army. The second one? There's a parking deck there now. The third one built a couple of blocks away? Razed to build Underground Atlanta. Terminal Station? That was razed at nearly the same time as the last Union Station. BTW, how many of you would know where Terminal Station was without looking it up?

I'm not suggesting that the city's history is erased when these buildings no longer exist. Rather, the city's tangible history is no longer tangible, and becomes little more than a story.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:58 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
[quote=ThreeSides;32179414]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

Who shot J.R.????

Old 11-11-2013, 02:59 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times
Quote:
Bet me to it.LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta