Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 10:19 PM

246 posts, read 374,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
lol you seem to be really offended by my opinion. Good for you.
I'm not offended, but that's because I see race baiting as ignorance & it's hard to be offended by someone's ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 11:28 PM

178 posts, read 618,149 times
I've been irate about this news all day. I live two minutes from where the new stadium will be.The majority of people seem to be against the idea (check out their Facebook post). Funny because NAPA/GPC is such a huge Braves sponsor and now they will be directly across from the parking lot. I'm gonna ask some big wigs how long they have known about it.

One thing I don't understand, they said this will bring more entertainment to the area. Let's see, we have Cumberland Mall, AMC Movie Theaters, Cobb performing arts center, the Galleria with a mini specialty mall, huge place for conferences with ample parking, lots of restaraunt choices, music stores, little musuems, 10 huge hotels and many smaller hotels, beautiful walking and bike trails, and a dang river. What entertainment are they talking about? Clubs and Strip Clubs? There goes the neighborhood.

Traffic is bad enough here during rush hour. I've seen them shut down Northside and Mt. Paran exits before and funnel the traffic off Cumberland. I saw people driving on the wrong side of the road, people not using turning lanes and turning in non turning lanes cutting in front of those using turning lanes, people ignoring stop lights, and small fender benders on backroads. A commute that took me 5 minutes from my work that I could walk in 15 took 45 minutes one day. Tourists dont know how to follow rules. They do not have the right network of roads and it's going to bring Cobb to its knees with traffic.

The interstate is going to need more exit ramps and a peach pass sort of lane since HOV doesn't do enough justice. Cobb Pkwy is going to start looking like Barrett Pkwy. Six lanes of hell.

There is a beautiful nature preserve. Even if the water is less than drinkable... What's going to happen to this? There is a peaceful lake right behind where the new stadium is going. This was a nice place to take kids to feed ducks or relax during lunch. I'm going to miss this.

I'm obviously being pessimistic here because this is my neighborhood and I'll be paying those hiked taxes and having to deal with the new traffic along with my neighbors.

I drive from Cobb to Henry often. Its a 45 minute commute. Most of your bottleneck is midtown and it will continue to be midtown, moving the stadium doesn't change that. What will change is where the new Braves bottleneck will be. It takes 30 minutes to get to midtown from Henry. 15 more isn't bad. Also, since there is more around the new area for the stadium, you might be more inclined to stick around and celebrate afterwards at a local eatery.

Since the majority of fans come by car a rail line isn't going to benefit anything except the minority that uses the rail. We have CCT in Cobb. Maybe not as reliable as MARTA, but the area here is completely walkable with sidewalks and cross walks. CCT stops are on every other intersection. The Arts Center can get you to Circle 75, which is then walking distance from the new stadium.

There are a lot of panhandlers and scalpels and all sorts of other harassment you can think of by Turner Field. Guess what police in Cobb do when they see someone panhandling or homeless people? They pick them up and the drop them off somewhere else. They don't allow it here and it's strictly enforced. I saw a panhandler pull a knife on a cop last weekend when he told him he wasn't allowed to do that there.

Hotels are probably going to jack up their prices and everything is going to cost more. There is fortunately, ample parking here at the mall, Galleria parking deck, shopping areas, etc. Though, this is probably going to bring in the enforcement of tow trucks. Gone are the days when you could park your car and then walk across the street to run an errand.

It would be cool if Turner Field turned into a soccer stadium. Soccer fans for USA is on the rise. Whatever it is they need to not let that area go into a decline any further.

Looking forward to walking home from a game, but not the traffic and how late I would be making it to games now. Looks like I need to start buying up some commercial parking lots.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:40 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Did anybody else notice that the new Braves stadium and the new Falcons stadium will open the very same year--2017?

Old 11-11-2013, 11:41 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
I've been irate about this news all day. I live two minutes from where the new stadium will be.The majority of people seem to be against the idea (check out their Facebook post). Funny because NAPA/GPC is such a huge Braves sponsor and now they will be directly across from the parking lot. I'm gonna ask some big wigs how long they have known about it.

One thing I don't understand, they said this will bring more entertainment to the area. Let's see, we have Cumberland Mall, AMC Movie Theaters, Cobb performing arts center, the Galleria with a mini specialty mall, huge place for conferences with ample parking, lots of restaraunt choices, music stores, little musuems, 10 huge hotels and many smaller hotels, beautiful walking and bike trails, and a dang river. What entertainment are they talking about? Clubs and Strip Clubs? There goes the neighborhood.

Traffic is bad enough here during rush hour. I've seen them shut down Northside and Mt. Paran exits before and funnel the traffic off Cumberland. I saw people driving on the wrong side of the road, people not using turning lanes and turning in non turning lanes cutting in front of those using turning lanes, people ignoring stop lights, and small fender benders on backroads. A commute that took me 5 minutes from my work that I could walk in 15 took 45 minutes one day. Tourists dont know how to follow rules. They do not have the right network of roads and it's going to bring Cobb to its knees with traffic.

The interstate is going to need more exit ramps and a peach pass sort of lane since HOV doesn't do enough justice. Cobb Pkwy is going to start looking like Barrett Pkwy. Six lanes of hell.

There is a beautiful nature preserve. Even if the water is less than drinkable... What's going to happen to this? There is a peaceful lake right behind where the new stadium is going. This was a nice place to take kids to feed ducks or relax during lunch. I'm going to miss this.

I'm obviously being pessimistic here because this is my neighborhood and I'll be paying those hiked taxes and having to deal with the new traffic along with my neighbors.

I drive from Cobb to Henry often. Its a 45 minute commute. Most of your bottleneck is midtown and it will continue to be midtown, moving the stadium doesn't change that. What will change is where the new Braves bottleneck will be. It takes 30 minutes to get to midtown from Henry. 15 more isn't bad. Also, since there is more around the new area for the stadium, you might be more inclined to stick around and celebrate afterwards at a local eatery.

Since the majority of fans come by car a rail line isn't going to benefit anything except the minority that uses the rail. We have CCT in Cobb. Maybe not as reliable as MARTA, but the area here is completely walkable with sidewalks and cross walks. CCT stops are on every other intersection. The Arts Center can get you to Circle 75, which is then walking distance from the new stadium.

There are a lot of panhandlers and scalpels and all sorts of other harassment you can think of by Turner Field. Guess what police in Cobb do when they see someone panhandling or homeless people? They pick them up and the drop them off somewhere else. They don't allow it here and it's strictly enforced. I saw a panhandler pull a knife on a cop last weekend when he told him he wasn't allowed to do that there.

Hotels are probably going to jack up their prices and everything is going to cost more. There is fortunately, ample parking here at the mall, Galleria parking deck, shopping areas, etc. Though, this is probably going to bring in the enforcement of tow trucks. Gone are the days when you could park your car and then walk across the street to run an errand.

It would be cool if Turner Field turned into a soccer stadium. Soccer fans for USA is on the rise. Whatever it is they need to not let that area go into a decline any further.

Looking forward to walking home from a game, but not the traffic and how late I would be making it to games now. Looks like I need to start buying up some commercial parking lots.
Not disagreeing with any other part of your post, but concerning the bolded part above: That this specific location right at the juncture of two major interstates in one of the busiest parts of Atlanta would remain a nature reserve is naive at the least. This corner has been earmarked for something big for decades and the only reason it has remained undeveloped is because of its premier spot. If it weren't this prime, it would have seen several different uses by now.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:45 PM

178 posts, read 618,149 times
The lake will probably go, but the nature reserve is more away from the stadium. It's really the nice wooded drive you have before you hit Cobb Pkwy with sidewalks that make for good jogging in the morning that will probably also be affected. Speaking of which, there is one house on that entire road. I wonder if they would be interested in selling. They are about to be right across from the stadium.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo radley View Post
I just heard this on MLB network. Being that I live in Cobb county, this is great! However, another blow to the city of Atlanta. What will happen to Turner Field and the surrounding area? That was about the only thing positive in that whole area. The surrounding neighborhoods are horrible and it looks like they will stay that way now.

On a positive note... At least you can walk to the park (when they move in 2017) without being harassed for money. Access will be better in Cobb and maybe the move will rid the team of the hex or voodoo that has plagued them for so long!!

GO BRAVES!!! And WELCOME TO COBB!!
The area is not horrible by any means.There are some less than desirable streets but most of it is actually decent.

Summerhill Atlanta - Summerhill Photo Gallery - Photos of Our*Neighborhood

How in the world is access going to be better?There is not MARTA subway and that area will be a nightmare for traffic.
Whose to say the area around the new stadium in Cobb will not get worse?

Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
I have nothing new to add, but suffice to say that when I saw the news article posted in a FB group I'm a part of, I thought it was something out of The Onion. Was shocked to see that it was true.

As was said earlier, I suppose the best thing that could come of this is MARTA coming to Cobb County.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times
Having just purchased a home about three miles from the proposed site, I'm both excited and terrified. On the one hand, we liked living in the city, and one reason we chose this area is that we could afford the house we wanted in a suburb with an almost-urban, edge-city feel. So I love the idea of having the Braves in my backyard (I'm a fan, and now an almost certain future season ticket holder), and the development that could come with it is very promising.

That said, the area isn't ready for something like this. My fervent hope is that they'll get ready, that Deal and the state government will get behind it, and they'll invest in the infrastructure they'll need to support it (a MARTA line would be awesome, but one daren't hope). If they do that, from the Cobb perspective, they get the Braves, they get development dollars and tax revenues, they get state investment in infrastructure. That's a lot of wins for the area. You issue bonds at historically low rates and pay them off with hotel and rental car taxes that have a minimal impact on Cobb County residents. (The Atlantic Wire piece's implication that this hypothetical revenue could be used for schools or a tax break was downright stupid.)

I'm terrified because maybe they don't get the infrastructure improvements they need, maybe the development (and tax revenues) never really materialize, and maybe the county ends up funding their end with taxes that do impact the locals, or at least impose opportunity costs in terms of public investment in areas such as education and safety.

And finally, this is a loss for the city of Atlanta. It just is. It's a loss economically, it's a loss in terms of needed revenue, and it's a loss in prestige. I still consider myself an Atlantan, I still care about the city, and I'd rather the Braves build a new stadium downtown.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:05 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times

The new stadium will be located near the geographic center of the Braves' fan base.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:01 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Had the Falcons up and left, the Dome would have remained. It would still get those other types of events.
Not so sure about this. Maintaining these things costs a bomb, and it's easy for stadiums to get a bad perception if not regularly used. That's part of the reason the SEC Championship Game moved from Birmingham's vacant Legion Field to Atlanta.

The SECCG et al might have moved to New Orleans, Nashville, rotated annually, etc. We probably wouldn't have as good a shot at hosting championship games either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta