Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This was a decision by a private company, not a planning agency.

The impact by said private company will affect a huge chunk of public infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,833 times
The Braves will be back in downtown Atlanta by 2037

Old 11-12-2013, 10:55 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The impact by said private company will affect a huge chunk of public infrastructure.
True. Nonetheless, the decision to move wasn't made by a planning agency.

I do agree that the COA's failure/refusal to get off the dime in redeveloping the area around the Ted was a major factor in the Braves' decision making process.

In the city's defense, doing anything to disrupt the neighborhoods around the stadium would have been politically unpopular among some residents. This was an election year, and most council members and the mayor were probably unwilling to wade into that thicket.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,842 times
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed promises enormous middle-class... | www.ajc.com

Quote:
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed said “one of the largest developments for middle-class people that the city has ever had” will go up at the site of Turner Field after the Atlanta Braves move to Cobb.

In his first public remarks since the MLB franchise spurned Atlanta, Reed vowed Tuesday he would “not leave a vacant Ted” and said the facility would be torn down. He also said he would not try to interfere with Cobb’s deal, but said he wanted to make the “unmistakable message” that the city wants the team to remain.

If the deal succeeds, he said, he’s not worried about his legacy, promising a “significant” announcement that will prove he made the right long-term decision for the region.

“We’re not walking around here moping. I hate losing. But there are times when other people make plays,” he said, adding: “We’re not losing anything. The Braves are still in the region so I don’t feel like this is a loss.”
Reed said the Braves asked for between $150 million and $250 million for infrastructure improvements for the team to remain downtown. He said that would have left the city “absolutely cash-strapped” and unable to chip away at a nearly $1 billion infrastructure backlog.

“Atlanta is not that liberal with our spending,” said the mayor.

He also addressed criticism that he focused too much on keeping the Falcons downtown while the Braves quietly negotiated a path to the ‘burbs.

“I fundamentally believe that people elect leaders to win for them. And so I certainly wanted the Atlanta Braves to stay in the city of Atlanta,” Reed said. “But I want to be very clear: There’s not a difference in treatment between the deal we negotiated with the Falcons and the Braves.”

Reed said the Braves made “very aggressive” demands from the city. He also said there was “absolute fatigue” from city councilmembers about backing a second stadium with more tax dollars.
Quote:
And all eyes will soon turn to the Nov. 26 Cobb County Commission meeting, where Lee intends to ask commissioners to give final approval to whatever plan he and his allies develop. Voters are already demanding more details on how their tax dollars could be spent.

Fresh off his own lengthy City Hall fight to secure $200 million to help build the Falcons stadium, Reed had this message for Cobb’s commissioners:
“I just lived it. Welcome to the club, baby.”

Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
At least Turner Field offered an alternative to driving. The proposed location offers no such option. All visitors will be forced to drive. That excuse about better transportation at the proposed location is BS.
Quote:
I do agree that the COA's failure/refusal to get off the dime in redeveloping the area around the Ted was a major factor in the Braves' decision making process.
All the city can do is rezone the area, provide infrastructure, and tax incentives to developers. Unfortunately the stadium was built at a time when it was popular to surround stadiums with parking. And then the recession hit in 2008, drying up a lot money for borrowing. Obviously, there was interest from developers to redevelop the parking lots, the Braves aren't giving the area enough time.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:04 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
At least Turner Field offered an alternative to driving. The proposed location offers no such option. All visitors will be forced to drive. That excuse about better transportation at the proposed location is BS.

All the city can do is rezone the area, provide infrastructure, and tax incentives to developers. Unfortunately the stadium was built at a time when it was popular to surround stadiums with parking. And then the recession hit in 2008, drying up a lot money for borrowing. Obviously, there was interest from developers to redevelop the parking lots, the Braves aren't giving the area enough time.
I imagine that the Braves' owners think that 1997 - 2013 has been plenty of time. Sure seems like it has been to me.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:05 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I imagine that the Braves' owners think that 1997 - 2013 has been plenty of time. Sure seems like it has been to me.
But, in the 90's it wasn't the trend to build dense, mixed-use developments here in the south. The school of thought was still, that people will drive and need a place to park and tailgate.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Grant Park & Summerhill may possibly feel general relief over such a move.
I was wondering about this.

Honestly, I see this for a plus for both neighborhoods, especially Summerhill, which was damaged by the building of the original Fulton County Stadium and again by Turner Field.

I mentioned in another thread that the City of Atlanta usually does not develop in a way that benefits residents. This move by the Braves gives the city and Invest Atlanta 4 years to make a plan and begin to implement said plan. All residents of Summer Hill and Grant Park, I encourage you to make your voices known regarding the types of developments you would like to see in your area. The removal of the parking lots especially would be a plus and the fact that taking away this stadium and adjacent lots will further open up the area to Downtown Atlanta.

Personally, I feel bad for the residents of Cobb in regards to the construction of the stadium. I do hope Cobb will include a MARTA expansion to Cumberland to assist with those game goers that do want to take adequate transit. I don't see a "bus loop" as being enough to help commuters reach games and taking them home, especially from CCT. Do they run buses on Sundays now? When I lived in Smyrna years ago they didn't and they had limited holiday service. I actually lived near 75/285 where they will build the new ball park and traffic was horrible every day there, which prompted our move to the city.

Baseball has a LOT of games, more than any other sport in this area and I just feel bad for the residents of Cobb and especially people who live in the vicinity of the 75/285 area.

I hope Reed can spur some good residential and mixed used development in the Summer Hill and Grant Park areas especially. I can only imagine what could be done with the area, something especially that highlights the history of baseball in the area and the Olympics would be great considering there is really nothing over there that shows off Atlanta's Olympic past.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:11 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
But, in the 90's it wasn't the trend to build dense, mixed-use developments here in the south. The school of thought was still, that people will drive and need a place to park and tailgate.
Looking at what may happen with the Falcon's, I think that school of thought is still alive and well.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:18 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I was wondering about this.

Honestly, I see this for a plus for both neighborhoods, especially Summerhill, which was damaged by the building of the original Fulton County Stadium and again by Turner Field.

I mentioned in another thread that the City of Atlanta usually does not develop in a way that benefits residents. This move by the Braves gives the city and Invest Atlanta 4 years to make a plan and begin to implement said plan. All residents of Summer Hill and Grant Park, I encourage you to make your voices known regarding the types of developments you would like to see in your area. The removal of the parking lots especially would be a plus and the fact that taking away this stadium and adjacent lots will further open up the area to Downtown Atlanta.

Personally, I feel bad for the residents of Cobb in regards to the construction of the stadium. I do hope Cobb will include a MARTA expansion to Cumberland to assist with those game goers that do want to take adequate transit. I don't see a "bus loop" as being enough to help commuters reach games and taking them home, especially from CCT. Do they run buses on Sundays now? When I lived in Smyrna years ago they didn't and they had limited holiday service. I actually lived near 75/285 where they will build the new ball park and traffic was horrible every day there, which prompted our move to the city.

Baseball has a LOT of games, more than any other sport in this area and I just feel bad for the residents of Cobb and especially people who live in the vicinity of the 75/285 area.

I hope Reed can spur some good residential and mixed used development in the Summer Hill and Grant Park areas especially. I can only imagine what could be done with the area, something especially that highlights the history of baseball in the area and the Olympics would be great considering there is really nothing over there that shows off Atlanta's Olympic past.

I feel bad for the people who have to commute anywhere near 75/285 during the afternoon on game day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta