Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why not use revenue bonds? That's the way it'll likely be handled in Cobb
Because they are still payed by taxes. In this case hotel/motel taxes which is already paying for the New Falcons Stadium and GWCC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 12:30 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Sounds like the Braves have not been serious about negotiations to stay at Turner Field for months.
Looks like the COA is really concerned about covering their backsides and not receiving any blame for this. Seems like a pretty detailed response.

About the revenue bonds. I'm not familiar with financing, so I may be completely wrong here.

But if the Braves wanted complete or at least significant control of the land and the development of it, how would the city pay back revenue bonds outside of using general funds?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
This thing is looking more and more like a ploy by the Braves just to play the city's hand ... opposition in Cobb County is strong ... the lease on the Ted has three more years to go, with is PLENTY of time to work out a compromise and / or plan to redevelop the Turner Field site ... wouldn't be surprised if private businessmen step in to try and broker their own deal to keep the team in the city ...

WHERE IS TED TURNER?!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:37 PM

28 posts, read 35,445 times
Quote:
Why not use revenue bonds? That's the way it'll likely be handled in Cobb:
[i]f most or all of Cobb’s share of the deal is to be paid for via the hotel/motel tax or via a revenue bond issue by the Cobb-Marietta Coliseum and Exhibit Hall Authority, Lee likely will find the going easier. Revenue bonds could be paid off with funds generated by the stadium complex, although county taxpayers could still be responsible for making up the difference if stadium or other revenues fall short. It’s the same funding mechanism the Authority used to pay for construction of the $47 million Cobb Galleria Centre convention hall nearly two decades ago.

Your daily jolt: A post-Braves plan so secret that John Eaves... | Political Insider | www.ajc.com

The Cobb County hotel tax only brought in 10mil last year. I'm not sure what % rate the tax currently is but the max allowed is 8% if I'm not wrong. They'll most likely attempt to fund it by raising business taxes.

With that said, no matter how you fund the deal it's just horrible for the city nothing is gained from that. The Braves looked at this deal from a business stand point it seems like a lot of people are viewing it from an emotional perspective.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:41 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
About the revenue bonds. I'm not familiar with financing, so I may be completely wrong here.
Typically the borrower (i.e., the Braves) pays them back out of its revenue stream, over 20, 40 or even 50 years. It's a way to get really low cost capital financing.

And of course that's the way it should be. It would be absurd for any city to simply give a gift of several hundred million dollars in taxpayer money to a private business.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:51 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avbanks View Post
The Braves looked at this deal from a business stand point it seems like a lot of people are viewing it from an emotional perspective.
Who is looking at it from an emotional perspective? CoA is a little emotional, obviously, but they're not the ones making the deal. Cobb County? This isn't a situation where the local government is threatened with losing an existing franchise to another city. The area is conservative politically and the easier path for elected officials would be to say "no deal." Public opinion in Cobb County is likely to be mixed, at best. Given that we don't actually know anything about the terms of "this deal," why assume someone's making an emotional decision?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Who is looking at it from an emotional perspective? CoA is a little emotional, obviously, but they're not the ones making the deal. Cobb County? This isn't a situation where the local government is threatened with losing an existing franchise to another city. The area is conservative politically and the easier path for elected officials would be to say "no deal." Public opinion in Cobb County is likely to be mixed, at best. Given that we don't actually know anything about the terms of "this deal," why assume someone's making an emotional decision?
Yea, glad I am not a Cobb Co resident.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:55 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Quote:
Typically the borrower (i.e., the Braves) pays them back out of its revenue stream, over 20, 40 or even 50 years. It's a way to get really low cost capital financing.

And of course that's the way it should be. It would be absurd for any city to simply give a gift of several hundred million dollars in taxpayer money to a private business.
100% with you there.

If the Braves were requesting the revenue bonds to be paid back by the Braves, or by a solid source like parking (if that is enough to cover it), then I don't have much of a problem with that. My guess is that they just wanted the money from the city and they wanted to capture all the revenue from the surrounding land and whatever was developed on it. Otherwise, why wouldn't the city play ball (pun intended).

Old 11-13-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
100% with you there.

Also, seeing some numbers in the Billions concerning Liberty Media, the owners of the Braves, why would they need such bonds? 200 Mil is a drop in the bucket to a company like that, especially for such a large investment like the Braves. They shouldn't need the bonds, so I think it would be safe to assume that the revenue to pay back the request bonds would be coming somewhere from the COA, not the Braves.

Aren't the current revenue bonds covered by parking fees collected by the recreational authority?
The parking fees are collected by some entity in the COA government but I'm unsure which org. The Braves want all revenue associated with the ballpark even the parking fees.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I'm talking about the COA residents bud........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta