Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:19 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avbanks View Post
I'm talking about the COA residents bud........
Don't leave us hanging. What is supposed to come after that double ellipsis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 01:31 PM

28 posts, read 35,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
don't leave us hanging. What is supposed to come after that double ellipsis?

Old 11-13-2013, 02:16 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Reed Op-ed on CNN.com: Atlanta mayor: Cost too high to keep Braves - CNN.com

I agree with his priorities.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:04 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I believe that in the end he made a decision that he thought was best for the taxpayers of this city. For that, I thank him. We haven't seen integrity in that office of that sort for a long time.
Indeed. The deal for the new Falcons' stadium makes a whole lot more financial sense than the proposed deal for the new Braves' stadium.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:37 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Awwww

Yeah, I thought he played that right too. Last think I would want is to get into a bidding war with public money for a private for profit entity.

Love some of his comments today as well.

Good move. Glad to hear words like that. The region, specifically including Cobb, is going to have to work together to fix transportation. These are the right words to make that happen in the future.

HA!

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I still don't want to forget too quickly though my serious objection to 200 mil in public money going to make money for the Falcons.
That last statement he made was obviously a veiled swipe at the foolishness it sounds like for the county to have to pay so much of public funds.At the same time he is letting Atlanta tax payers know how much of a good deal they got with the Falcons deal.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
I'm still not on board 100% with the Falcons deal. Relative to publicly funded stadiums, it does seem like pretty good deal though.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:55 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatlien View Post

On the surface, yes, we don't like handing out money to billionaires. But, there's also significant losses that will happen. The Braves lease payment, the parking revenue, local jobs, local revenue at bars and restaurants, sales taxes generated from 2-3 million visitors, hotel/motel stays, loss of ridership on Marta, the cost to demo the stadium, the cost to redo the entire area's infrastructure, et al. Is that more or less than the $10mil bond payment it would have cost to keep the Braves? It will take someone smarter than me (and with more time) to figure that out.

On the hotel/motel tax... why would we assume that 100% of those 2-3 million visitors will vanish. Clearly some will choose to stay near the stadium but as has been said, its not as if the team is moving to another state. Most people want to do more than one event when traveling and the city is the best place to be for multiple entertainment options.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:06 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
On the hotel/motel tax... why would we assume that 100% of those 2-3 million visitors will vanish. Clearly some will choose to stay near the stadium but as has been said, its not as if the team is moving to another state. Most people want to do more than one event when traveling and the city is the best place to be for multiple entertainment options.
Don't forget No Cover w/ ticket stubs at the Cheetah. =) That alone ought to clear bring a few $$$s back to the city.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 AM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
No surprise to me, but looks like Reed was being dishonest the whole time about the $450 million number to try and make himself look better for losing the Braves. The Braves are paying 55% of the $672 million.

I also saw the Fulton County Commissioner had no clue what Reed was talking about with the mixed-use talk at the Turner Field location. Since that area is controlled jointly by the city and the county, it is generally pretty important for them to actually plan things together...

I also saw that the Braves had a study done that their economic impact on the city was double the Falcons, Hawks, and Dream COMBINED and that was without getting any help from the city in allowing them to get mixed-use stuff going around Turner Field like they have tried to do since around 2005.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I also saw that the Braves had a study done that their economic impact on the city...
No conflict of interest there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
No surprise to me, but looks like Reed was being dishonest the whole time about the $450 million number to try and make himself look better for losing the Braves.
He said that is what the Braves told him Cobb was offering. I think the Braves probably told him that number which is really the total benefit the Braves are getting. I think Cobb is now scrambling to figure how they are going to sell this and where to get the money from. Cobb has got to try to bring down that $450m headline. They will probably offer stealthier stuff such as tax breaks and the like.

The mayor always said that the Braves demands were $250m - $350m which the city is not willing to do. And I agree with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta