Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:56 PM

744 posts, read 2,482,344 times

Advertisements

Husbands commute to the airport would be brutal if he is having to do it daily from the north side of Atlanta .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:59 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
Husbands commute to the airport would be brutal if he is having to do it daily from the north side of Atlanta .
That's what Marta is for

Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 PM

37 posts, read 63,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
That's what I figured. I don't really know what the schedules would look like yet, but he may only have to commute once every 4 days.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Peachtree City is great. You can't find any place in Metro Atlanta better, certainly not in close proximity to the airport. This whole "but you're SOOOO far out on the Southside and FAAAARRR away from the Northside" mess is just that ... total BS. Between Peachtree City, Newnan and Fayetteville, you've got every single shopping, dining and recreation amenity you could want -- except Nordstrom or Bloomingdale's, which are in the city. How often during the week MUST you shop at Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's?

There's something to be said for "going into the city" for some things, and from Peachtree City, "going into the city" is MUCH MUCH MUCH more doable than it is from some northside suburbs that are, in fact, closer!

Check out PTC and Fayette County ... you won't be disappointed. Lots of Florida transplants, lots of Florida-style community amenities, fantastic schools, tons of recreation, plenty of upscale shopping. And with the growth in the movie and TV industry there, it's only going to get better.

http://www.peachtree-city.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmPD48D3M8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGNqtk0St6k

http://peachtreecity.shoptheavenue.com/

Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitinfl View Post
2 hours away hmm what area would you recommend in the northern part of Atlanta? Peachtree city sounds like Wellington suburb 30 minutes from downtown West Palm Beach, we do have a small shopping mall. Pretty much over the heat and crazy people.
There are so many areas on the Northside of the Atlanta metro region to recommend that it can be difficult to decide where one should start.

When it comes to the Northside, because of the quality of the schools, some of the best places to look are in:

...West Cobb County (in the feeder zones for Hillgrove, Harrison, Allatoona and Kennesaw Mountain high schools);

...East Cobb County (in the feeder zones for Walton, Pope, Lassiter, Wheeler, Sprayberry and Kell high schools);

...North Fulton County (in the feeder zones for Chattahoochee, Johns Creek, Northview, Alpharetta, Cambridge and Roswell high schools);

...Forsyth County (in the feeder zones for South Forsyth and Lambert high schools);

...Gwinnett County (in the feeder zones for North Gwinnett, Brookwood, Parkview, Grayson, Norcross, Peachtree Ridge, Mill Creek, Collins Hill, Mountain View, Lanier, Archer and Duluth high schools, as well as within the small independent school district for the highly-rated Buford City Schools);

...Cherokee County (in the feeder zones for Woodstock, Etowah, Cherokee, Sequoyah, Creekview and River Ridge high schools);

...Paulding County (in the North Paulding HS feeder zone);

...Hall County (in the feeder zone for Flowery Branch High School);

...the City of Decatur within the excellent small Decatur City Schools district if you like urban living.

The good thing about living on the Northside of the Atlanta metro region is that you are close to an overwhelming amount of amenities.

...Northside amenities like excellent schools; recreational opportunities at Lakes Allatoona and Lanier and in the foothills and mountains of the Blue Ridge and Southern Appalachians north of the city; some of the best shopping in the Southeastern U.S. outside of South Florida; nightlife, entertainment and tourism opportunities in the most urban part of the Atlanta region inside and just outside of the I-285 Perimeter, etc.

The bad thing about living on the Northside is the really bad traffic in the I-75/I-575, I-285 Top End Perimeter, GA 400, GA 141 and I-85/I-985/GA 316 corridors, and the potentially LONG commuting times (and distances) to important centers of activity like Downtown Atlanta and the Atlanta Airport.

...Because almost all of the amenities in the Atlanta metro region are located in the area of the region that is north of the I-20 (which acts as an unofficial and psychological dividing line between the much more upscale, diverse, affluent and scenic Northside of the Atlanta region, and the less-upscale, less-diverse, less-diverse, and less-scenic Southside of the Atlanta region), with some exceptions, seemingly everyone who relocates to the Atlanta region wants to live on the Northside closer to where most of the region's amenities are...which is why the Northside is where the region's worst traffic is.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 11-13-2013 at 10:10 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
There are so many areas on the Northside of the Atlanta metro region to recommend that it can be difficult to decide where one should start.

When it comes to the Northside, because of the quality of the schools, some of the best places to look are in:

...West Cobb County (in the feeder zones for Hillgrove, Harrison, Allatoona and Kennesaw Mountain high schools);

...East Cobb County (in the feeder zones for Walton, Pope, Lassiter, Wheeler, Sprayberry and Kell high schools);

...North Fulton County (in the feeder zones for Chattahoochee, Johns Creek, Northview, Alpharetta, Cambridge and Roswell high schools);

...Forsyth County (in the feeder zones for South Forsyth and Lambert high schools);

...Gwinnett County (in the feeder zones for North Gwinnett, Brookwood, Parkview, Grayson, Norcross, Peachtree Ridge, Mill Creek, Collins Hill, Mountain View, Lanier, Archer and Duluth high schools, as well as within the small independent school district for the highly-rated Buford City Schools);

...Cherokee County (in the feeder zones for Woodstock, Etowah, Cherokee, Sequoyah, Creekview and River Ridge high schools);

...Paulding County (in the North Paulding HS feeder zone);

...Hall County (in the feeder zone for Flowery Branch High School);

...the City of Decatur within the excellent small Decatur City Schools district if you like urban living.

The good thing about living on the Northside of the Atlanta metro region is that you are close to an overwhelming amount of amenities.

...Northside amenities like excellent schools; recreational opportunities at Lakes Allatoona and Lanier and in the foothills and mountains of the Blue Ridge and Southern Appalachians north of the city; some of the best shopping in the Southeastern U.S. outside of South Florida; nightlife, entertainment and tourism opportunities in the most urban part of the Atlanta region inside and just outside of the I-285 Perimeter, etc.

The bad thing about living on the Northside is the really bad traffic in the I-75/I-575, GA 400, GA 141 and I-85/I-985/GA 316 corridors, and the potentially LONG commuting times (and distances) to important centers of activity like Downtown Atlanta and the Atlanta Airport.

...Because almost all of the amenities in the Atlanta metro region are located in the area of the region that is north of the I-20 (which acts as an unofficial and psychological dividing line between the much more upscale, diverse, affluent and scenic Northside of the Atlanta region, and the less-upscale, less-diverse, less-diverse, and less-scenic Southside of the Atlanta region), with some exceptions, seemingly everyone who relocates to the Atlanta region wants to live on the Northside closer to where most of the region's amenities are.
B2R that's WAY too much information (again) ... you're just going to confuse the OP.

TO THE OP: Check out Peachtree City. You'll be sold. Your friends in Buford can come visit you on the weekends, and you can go visit them. Or you can each meet halfway and do things together in the city (zoo, Stone Mountain, aquarium, ballgames, shopping, etc.).

End.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
B2R that's WAY too much information (again) ... you're just going to confuse the OP.

TO THE OP: Check out Peachtree City. You'll be sold. Your friends in Buford can come visit you on the weekends, and you can go visit them. Or you can each meet halfway and do things together in the city (zoo, Stone Mountain, aquarium, ballgames, shopping, etc.).

End.
I was just answering the question that the OP asked:

Quote:
2 hours away hmm what area would you recommend in the northern part of Atlanta? Peachtree city sounds like Wellington suburb 30 minutes from downtown West Palm Beach, we do have a small shopping mall. Pretty much over the heat and crazy people.
...Which with such a critically-important decision in someone's life, someone can NEVER have too much information, particularly with the OP seemingly not knowing very much about the Atlanta region where she and her family are potentially about to start a new life.

With the OP's husband potentially only commuting to and from the Atlanta Airport once every 4 days, a lot more potential living options are opened up for the OP and her family.

I know that you're a big advocate for Peachtree City, which with everything (including P.R. and advocacy) in Metro Atlanta tilting so overwhelmingly heavily towards the Northside, it is a very-good thing and very-important that high quality-of-life places on the Southside like Peachtree City and Fayette County have someone persistent to advocate for them.

But, when people come to these forums to seek critically-important information to help make potentially life-altering decisions (for better or worse), we should give that very-important information to them, particularly when they ASK directly for that very-important information.

Peachtree City is an excellent place to live and raise a family, but by no means is Peachtree City the only excellent place in the 30-plus county, 6 million-inhabitant greater Atlanta region to live and raise a family and the OP deserves to know that, particularly if she asks because her close friends live in Buford and her husband will only be commuting to and from the Atlanta Airport once every 4 days.

It is not necessarily for us to decide where someone should live, but it is for us to give people as much good information as is necessarily so that they can make the decision that is best for them personally.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:06 AM

Thank you for ALL the information. Lots to look at. I'm definitely sold on Peachtree City. I'll I to convince my husband who really misses his friends and has been wanting more of the nightlife lately.
We're going to scope it out on the weekends.
Thanks again!

Old 11-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Alright, so he doesn't mind not being near the friends. They are in Oakwood btw
But he would like a newer construction which I didn't find anything in Peachtree City unless it is over $300.
I'd like to stay in the lower $200s for a 4+ bedroom 1/2 acre lot.
Also, are there areas with no HOAs?

Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Alright, so he doesn't mind not being near the friends. They are in Oakwood btw
But he would like a newer construction which I didn't find anything in Peachtree City unless it is over $300.
I'd like to stay in the lower $200s for a 4+ bedroom 1/2 acre lot.
Also, are there areas with no HOAs?
A newer 4 BR on 1/2 acre in the low $200s isn't going to exist in Peachtree City proper, but there are tons of houses in that category just outside of Peachtree City, in Fayetteville and Tyrone in Fayette County or Sharpsburg, Newnan or Senoia in Coweta County. There was a story in the Fayette County paper this week about how many new homes are now being built (several hundred) post-recession.

The schools in Fayette County are all excellent, the ones in Coweta are hit and miss. Some good, some not so good. Choosing to live in either county depends on how much you want to get for your money.

Living in PTC isn't for everybody, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta