Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:55 AM

329 posts, read 429,089 times

Advertisements

You should choose Atlanta. Everything here is better than Charlotte in my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 AM

222 posts, read 242,004 times
As a life long metro Atlanta resident who grew up in Conyers, GA and now living in Grant Park/Cabbagetown area for the past 8 years I struggle to respond to this question. I recently visited Charlotte for the first time in several years and to be honest i'm sad to say this but I believe from a recommendation stand point i would recommend Charlotte over Atlanta. Intown Atlanta is indeed improving but Charlotte has a very good light rail system in place and many of the laws in the state of North Carolina are much more progressive than the state of Georgia. From a transportation viewpoint it has much more to offer and from a lifestyle viewpoint i believe it has gained tremendous ground and i believe within the next 5-10 years will surpass Atlanta as the "southern city".

Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,668,025 times
I must point out, that many of the very recently enacted laws in North Carolina have shocked the residents of that state in the backward-looking mentality & direction of the legislation. Polling data that I have seen has been very negative toward the turn taken by the legislature & the incumbent governor. The almost draconian severity of the sharp turn by the legislature has damaged the brand name & the moderate image of North Carolina which has taken a hit in the national media as a result.
Who can read the future, but there is so very, very much to consider when you talk in terms of the city of Charlotte surpassing Atlanta as the "southern city" in 5-10 years that such a statement leaves my jaw agape. I can only foresee that possibility happening if Atlanta is annhilated in a natural disaster.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,964,278 times
As has been said, I would definitely take extended trips to both cities.

My personal opinion is for Atlanta, but it's just mine. I have visited Charlotte frequently. I think that it's a lovely city with a great future. However, to me it feels almost like a college town that's starting to grow up a bit. Atlanta, to me, has a much more cosmopolitan feel. To each their own, but I think both are great cities.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM

222 posts, read 242,004 times
I see many limitations to Atlanta's intown growth and i see continued sprawl of the metro area in Atlanta. The Atlanta Braves recent announcement is just one recent indicator.

My recommendation of Charlotte has a lot to do with the similarities I see in Charlotte vs. Atlanta. I think that Charlotte is in a similar growth stage that Atlanta had in the early 90's, but that Charlotte's current overall infrastructure is much stronger than Atlanta's was in the early 90's.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 PM

329 posts, read 429,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
I see many limitations to Atlanta's intown growth and i see continued sprawl of the metro area in Atlanta. The Atlanta Braves recent announcement is just one recent indicator.

My recommendation of Charlotte has a lot to do with the similarities I see in Charlotte vs. Atlanta. I think that Charlotte is in a similar growth stage that Atlanta had in the early 90's, but that Charlotte's current overall infrastructure is much stronger than Atlanta's was in the early 90's.
Yes but at least we have a baseball team. Charlotte doesn't have a team at all. All they really have is Rick Flair and wrestling there.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:32 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,360,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post

You are nuts, sorry...

Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,668,025 times
It seems that a recent article out of the D.C. media contains some facts that confirm that in metro Atlanta a sea-change of growth emphasis & orientation has occurred in that the biggest thrust of development in the last several years here has been in the form of smart growth initiatives that are not sprawl-oriented but rather pointedly more along the lines of self-sustaining, transit-oriented infill developments, as noted in the article. Think the Belt Line project & it's spin off developments as well as Atlantic Station, which already has a Belt line station there which many people are unaware of & which was constructed ahead of time out of foresight.
Furthermore, I read in a recent Atlanta Business Chronicle article, that the Ponce City Market & the huge Buckhead development originally called The Streets of Buckhead are 2 of the largest multi-use projects under development in the U.S. at this time. A factor of commonality between them is that they are intown Atlanta.
I personally do not see any particular limit to the growth & infill of intown Atlanta. If there is one or several such factors, I'd like to know what they are.
As I took a lunchtime walk today near my office & into Ansley Park, I noted the sound of saws there & over on 15th St. as that area continues to take part in the redevelopment wave that infects intown.
I lived in Grant Park for a decade & came to despise the commotion of traffic & the fire works shooting off late at night after every Braves game victory as well as the hindrances of street & ramp closures as the prep for a night game. Repeatedly I wished, as I drove past Turner Field, that it would just go away or simply fall into a hole & be swallowed up as the ball park just was not what I'd call a good neighbor.
If the Braves do depart & Turner Field is torn down, another HUGE area of extremely close-in-to-the-core land will become available for mega develoment, as in terms of the number of acres. The huge boom in town houses & single family homes that spread west out of Grant Park & into Summerhill in the last 15 years may be an example of what is to be expected in the form of a rapid infill of the former Turner Field site. A mix of higher density construction types & focuses would also be nice.
Thankfully the current god awful sea of parking lots will be removed as a long-lingering blight on the horizon there. Good riddance to the eyesore & commotion!
The Business Chronicle article I mentioned earlier also noted the planned move intown of an Alpharetta based IT firm which is moving to Ponce City Market as a means of better recruiting young employees who desire the intown lifestyle & amenities.
Additionally, I would anyday gladly trade the 1,000 Coke IT jobs that Cobb is losing to the downtown SunTrust Plaza Tower for the Braves.
On a final note, metro Atlanta is so huge in population & geographic spread, that the relatively close-in area chosen for the new Braves stadium site is not far flung by any stretch of the imagination any more & not particularly sprawl inducing given the modest density in that area already.
30 years ago I would have considered that area to be far out but given the size of the metro, a location one mile beyond the Chattahoochee River & the Atlanta city limits it's really not far out at all.
The City of Atlanta is an ever-changing one, constantly reinventing itself with a vibrant energy & character that stands out tall amongst her peer cities in the south. Her reputation as the de facto hub center of the southeast is not in danger.

http://http://greatergreaterwashingt...-smart-growth/

Old 11-14-2013, 02:23 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,309,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Charlotte is a bit more "Bible-belt" than Atlanta -- that may be an advantage or a drawback, depending on your own inclinations.
Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Crime rates really aren't that much different between Charlotte and Atlanta, and the cost of living is pretty much the same for the metro areas.
They are very different, actually. Charlotte is the 8th safest city with a population above 500,000 in the country. Atlanta is the 9th most dangerous city with a population between 100,000-499,999 in the country. That isn't to say Charlotte doesn't have dangerous areas (east side), or Atlanta doesn't have safe areas (north side).

Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,801,578 times
What part of Connecticut are you from? I lived in Fairfield County and love living in Roswell (northern suburb of Atlanta).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta