U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,819,498 times

Advertisements

Happy Birthday, Tech Square!

Look at how Midtown has grown with the help of Ga Tech

Before
http://academicvc.com/wp-content/upl...ng-n-s-600.jpg

After
http://academicvc.com/wp-content/upl...rrent-600.jpeg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,066,492 times
It certainly is amazing, and is going to get even better with the addition of the hulking Advanced Research, Computation, and Analytics building at 777 Spring Street, the 2nd part of Centergy, and all the student housing going up. What an asset Georgia Tech is...

Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 AM

668 posts, read 701,523 times
While it is great to see Midtown and Downtown be revitalized through the expansions of the Tech and GSU campuses (and I eat lunch in the Tech Square area at least once, if not twice, a week), I’m curious how the funding works. Is it all coming from private donations and school-administered funds? If the state government were buying up all of this real estate, I’m sure there would be a huge outcry over urban revitalization being done at the public expense. However, urban revitalization being done by the state-funded university system is almost unanimously considered to be a good thing.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 AM

7,114 posts, read 7,271,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
While it is great to see Midtown and Downtown be revitalized through the expansions of the Tech and GSU campuses (and I eat lunch in the Tech Square area at least once, if not twice, a week), I’m curious how the funding works. Is it all coming from private donations and school-administered funds? If the state government were buying up all of this real estate, I’m sure there would be a huge outcry over urban revitalization being done at the public expense. However, urban revitalization being done by the state-funded university system is almost unanimously considered to be a good thing.
I don't know the breakdown but a lot of it could be owned by the Georgia Tech Foundation which is separate from the state. We don't want the state competing with private enterprise.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Status: "All revved up and no lawn to mow." (set 23 days ago)

16,371 posts, read 28,057,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I don't know the breakdown but a lot of it could be owned by the Georgia Tech Foundation which is separate from the state. We don't want the state competing with private enterprise.
Regardless, Tech Square has fueled private enterprise in the area.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 AM

2,945 posts, read 2,450,082 times
I'm not sure how accurately we can single-handedly label this as urban revitalization rather than an expansion by Tech into nearby areas east of the Connector that were largely vacant plots of land well-suited for Tech's purposes.
If Tech had not had the large area available east of the Connector for them to expand accross into, they would have instead been forced to expand the other boundaries of their campus footprint more than they already have done and/or been forced to build higher density structures on their main campus.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 AM

615 posts, read 392,584 times
I only discovered Tech Square very recently....Atlanta sure does a good job of keeping some of its gems on the down-low.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:28 AM

2,945 posts, read 2,450,082 times
I agee with that statement ATLondoner. Actually, finding such hidden & off-the-beaten-path gems in various cities I have visited has typically been one of the main pleasures of my travels throughout the years.
Most of my "discoveries" have been made while I was on foot. People who hate to walk are depriving themselves of so much.
And while in the northeast & abroad, I've noticed the tremendous popularity of walking for a myriad of reasons & the resultant comparative lack of general obesity in the population.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Regardless, Tech Square has fueled private enterprise in the area.
Georgia Tech created a market by putting the College of Management, Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center, Bookstore and some auxiliary services, and research space there.

I'd like to see the same with GSU and Underground. But proximity isn't enough, GSU would have to be given ownership. Without GT's strong presence, I doubt many students would cross the bridge to go to Tech Square, plus the 5th Street bridge/park makes it even more inviting to cross.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I agee with that statement ATLondoner. Actually, finding such hidden & off-the-beaten-path gems in various cities I have visited has typically been one of the main pleasures of my travels throughout the years.
Most of my "discoveries" have been made while I was on foot. People who hate to walk are depriving themselves of so much.
And while in the northeast & abroad, I've noticed the tremendous popularity of walking for a myriad of reasons & the resultant comparative lack of general obesity in the population.
Oddly, Tech Square does seem like an island despite being in Midtown. Makes me wonder that a better integration with the city might bring problems and bring the area down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: