Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:14 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
You really have a hard on for "traditional" campuses don't you?
Unfortunately...it's not just me.

But it's not either or. GSU could have had the best of both worlds. There are other schools with multiple campuses. GSU lost a lot of ground to the other schools because they have traditional campuses. As a result GSU has been marginalized by a bunch of schools that used to be Junior Colleges when GSU had university status, and the only other state schools with university status were UGA and Tech. Now SPSU, KSU, Georgia Southern, U of North Georgia, and Georgia College all have average Freshman SATs higher than GSU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 12:31 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

But it's not either or. GSU could have had the best of both worlds. There are other schools with multiple campuses.
While not full fledged campuses, GSU's Alpharetta, Peachtree-Dunwoody, and Buckhead centers serve this function pretty well.

Quote:
GSU lost a lot of ground to the other schools because they have traditional
campuses. As a result GSU has been marginalized by a bunch of schools that used
to be Junior Colleges when GSU had university status, and the only other state
schools with university status were UGA and Tech.
You're saying that it's GSU's fault the Board of Regents decided 15-20 years ago to make virtually every four-year public college in Georgia a university?

Quote:
Now SPSU, KSU, Georgia Southern, U of North Georgia, and Georgia College all have average Freshman SATs higher than GSU.
Fair enough. I do think GSU could stand to raise admission standards.

ETA: IMHO, the only hindrance that GSU has had with a less-traditional campus is it's more diffcult for the university to purchase land for non-building related things like athletic fields and green space (classrooms, offices, and housing never really seemed to be a difficult issue when I was there in the late 2000s). The situation with the Ted's redevelopment can go a long way towards fixing that.

Last edited by Gulch; 11-20-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Eh...I agree with another poster that GSU can develop more in the downtown area. There are many parking lots ripe for development and underutilized facilities for them downtown.

I would rather see Summerhill become a neighborhood again versus moving GSU over there. Plus I think whatever happens should be driven by Summerhill, Grant Park, Ormewood, and other east and south east neighborhoods in the vicinity.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:07 PM

280 posts, read 389,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

But it's not either or. GSU could have had the best of both worlds. There are other schools with multiple campuses. GSU lost a lot of ground to the other schools because they have traditional campuses. As a result GSU has been marginalized by a bunch of schools that used to be Junior Colleges when GSU had university status, and the only other state schools with university status were UGA and Tech. Now SPSU, KSU, Georgia Southern, U of North Georgia, and Georgia College all have average Freshman SATs higher than GSU.
This is crazy. The top of GSU class has a good reputation among people involved in graduate school admissions (which is how I know about colleges). In fact, a much better reputation than all of the schools you mentioned except Georgia College. Looking at the Emory Med school admission numbers, it is number 4 in the state behind Emory, Tech and UGA (unfair to the smaller schools, I know since I am not normalizing to class size). The point is that GSU is doing just fine where it is. I don't even have to mention the fine quality of its graduate programs and research. Some of these other schools are doing well: Georgia College in particular is doing well and SPSU, KSU and GA Southern are getting stronger.

On the SATs, where are you getting your numbers? The 2012 data from About.com shows GSU with higher 75% percentile SAT/ACTs than all of those except the liberal arts school, Georgia College (both math and reading) and the engineering school, SPSU (the math scores pull them up).

College Information - A to Z College Profiles with Admissions Data

Furthermore, GSU is also one of the nations top schools in having students over perform their predicted academic success (from high school records and test scores) and one of the best for graduating a large fraction of their minority students.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:42 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Whatever happens to Underground, its new owner needs to rip out the 1980's Rouse renovations and de-mallify it. Make it an actual neighborhood.

Would be the most likely use for the land.
I agree on both counts.

With all that GSU has invested in its current campus, it would be incredibly wasteful to just try and move the entire campus. I do like the idea and believe it would be a win - win proposal to have some GSU functions on some of the property.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 AM

719 posts, read 1,332,861 times
Georgia state is not going to have a traditional campus. It's a university in the city. So all these people who are hoping they transition into that will be dissapointed b/c it won't happen. They are spending millions focusing the center of their campus in another direction and currently are about to construct the campus yard/green...

Old 11-21-2013, 09:26 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Is not the Turner Field site WAY too small to build a mega university campus? To plop a UT Austin or USC on that site would have to go all the way to Grant Park or beyond....

Old 11-21-2013, 04:31 PM

70 posts, read 161,880 times
The thing is GSU wants to become part of the city. Many people come to GSU to escape the 'traditional' college experience. Why would they want to change the one trademark thing they have?

Old 11-21-2013, 05:22 PM

125 posts, read 232,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostar View Post
The thing is GSU wants to become part of the city. Many people come to GSU to escape the 'traditional' college experience. Why would they want to change the one trademark thing they have?
I agree. Georgia State is going to have to just ride this one out. KSU's campus is a good hour from Atlanta. And GSU is having no problems finding qualified applicants. It's becoming more common for good students applying to get rejected. Before the Olympics GSU didn't even have dorms. It's always been a commuter school with well regarded programs. Only recently has it started to have more of a traditional campus life.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Why not convert Turner Field into a home stadium for GSU and the parking around for other athletic facilities? Close enough to the campus. The current gym could make way for more classroom or dorm space. The dome is WAY too much for GSU football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta