Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 07:51 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times

Advertisements

A Statue of Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 11:28 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
A great backdrop. One of the unquestionable downsides to a suburban ballpark, and one in the Atlanta Metro in particular, is that you won't have a skyline or beautiful natural backdrop to work with. So the architecture itself needs to deliver that, most likely incorporating a great scoreboard presentation. Start with something like Kaufman Stadium in Kansas City and then do it even bigger and better. The smaller size of this baseball-only park should allow the designers to cut down on outfield seating and do something special out there.
I couldn't have said it better... THAT is EXACTLY one of my top 5 main issues with the move...
I've driven over to the site (all around Spring & Cobb Pkwy area) checking it out, and tried imagining the backdrop view options from that location using Google Earth and I don't see anything halfway impressive.
It IS possible to catch a view of Perimeter, Buckhead and Midtown from there, but far off in the distance, and you'd have to be pretty high up. I think the only skyline option would be to have outfield open up toward the Galleria area towers. BUT, from the spot that it looks like they want to place the stadium, there is a white building blocking the view of those towers.

Personally, I think a new Braves stadium should go in 1 of 3 places: 1) The Site at Ivan Allen & Northside that was going to be the Falcons' north site. 2) At Northside & 17th behind IKEA, extending Atlantic Station to Northside. Would bring back Atlantic Station by offering an already intact developed area for new, stadium business (like new bars, etc...) to spring up. 3) In the Gulch, across the street form the new Falcons' stadium & Philips Arena, at MLK & Centennial Olymp Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
A World Series!!!!
HERE HERE!!!!

Old 11-23-2013, 11:37 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I've driven over to the site (all around Spring & Cobb Pkwy area) checking it out, and tried imagining the backdrop view options from that location using Google Earth and I don't see anything halfway impressive.
It IS possible to catch a view of Perimeter, Buckhead and Midtown from there, but far off in the distance, and you'd have to be pretty high up.
Why not just use a big projection screen for the skyline? It could be digitally updated as new additions to the skyline are made.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:48 AM

I would like to see them design something in the batter's eye this time instead of just leaving an open green space...

I would like to see something that says Georgia, or Atlanta added to the ambiance of the stadium. Maybe Dogwood or Cherry Blossom trees all around the stadium, or Granite bas-relief (like Stone Mountain) sculpture of Braves HOFers down under the batters eye, Gold from Dahlonega, maybe a small orchard of peach trees that kids can come and pick with the players during certain events during the year, etc...

Some GOOD food venues... Atlanta does breakfast well. Personally, I think THAT is Atlanta's culinary tribute. Atlanta's thing. So, places like: Thumbs Up, Flying Buscuit, Mary Mac, Blue bird & Waffle House can all be represented somewhere around the stadium complex.

Something special or unique done to the outfield wall. Maybe have hedges above the homerun line, or kudzu (for the grounds keepers to have fun keeping under control).

Old 11-23-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why not just use a big projection screen for the skyline? It could be digitally updated as new additions to the skyline are made.
LOL
That's hilarious

Old 11-23-2013, 12:57 PM

749 posts, read 886,973 times
Two-for-one Tea Party Tuesdays. A second erected, skyline defining monument/vengeful diety of Cobb County; the Big Chicken - Naturally pointed toward the city of Atlanta to keep those liberals out.

Last edited by UrbanConquistador; 11-23-2013 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 01:55 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times
Waffle house and a pawn shop

Old 11-23-2013, 09:26 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
A great backdrop. One of the unquestionable downsides to a suburban ballpark, and one in the Atlanta Metro in particular, is that you won't have a skyline or beautiful natural backdrop to work with. So the architecture itself needs to deliver that, most likely incorporating a great scoreboard presentation. Start with something like Kaufman Stadium in Kansas City and then do it even bigger and better. The smaller size of this baseball-only park should allow the designers to cut down on outfield seating and do something special out there.
The property and area around there is actually a bit elevated and depending on placement and angle could have decent views of Buckhead/Downtown from the upper deck.

To the original question, I am hoping for good food/drink options before the game outside the stadium in the mixed-use development.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
A sinkhole opening up right under home plate.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:24 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
(Note: This is a thread about the ballpark itself--not the merits of the new stadium, transportation and traffic issues, how it will be paid for, etc. Neither does this concern the immediate surroundings, but the ballpark itself.)

What features do you want to see in the new stadium?
Do you want it to be a hitters' park like Fulton-County stadium or a pitchers' park like Turner Field?
What kind of fan amenities should be present?
Do you have any specific kind of design suggestions?
In fairness, I have not been to a Braves game in years so I'm not really up to speed on what all Turner field had going on.

However, I'd first recommend the option of using your smartphone to enter as opposed to using a paper ticket. I'd also recommend some dining options that involve comfortable seats and a good view of the game; it would be somewhat like suites but not require special connections to get a table. As I understand it, it is supposed to be mixed used of sorts so make sure those places are open after the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta