Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 01:04 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
If anyone REALLY wanted to cause some substantial problems for the stadium project, they could potentially use the presence of that transcontinental natural gas pipeline (which runs from about Galveston, Texas on the Gulf Coast up to about the New York Harbor area in the Northeast) to attempt to delay and obstruct and eventually derail the project.
Whoa.

Do any of you have some links about this pipeline? I'd be curious to read more about it.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:08 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I guess we will find out what Cobb is made of. I read that they have plans to reroute the pipeline but that is bound to be a lot easier than derailing the Tea party.
I agree.

Although, we already know what Cobb County is made of as Cumberland-led Cobb business interests desperately want a real estate development centerpiece (like the new Braves stadium) that can give them an economic development edge over other major business districts on the Northside (namely Midtown, Buckhead and Perimeter).

Though in this instance at this particular time, the local Cobb County Tea Party movement as a whole does not necessarily seem to be the biggest potential hurdle to the new Braves stadium.

The biggest potential hurdles to the proposed new Braves stadium seem to be the Metro Atlanta Tea Party movement (as led by Debbie Dooley of Gwinnett County), and the transcontinental natural gas pipeline that runs under the site of the proposed new stadium and makes the project vulnerable to obstructionism by opponents.

If the pipeline didn't run under the stadium, the potential for obstructionism likely would not be such a concern even with the opposition of the regional Tea Party, but that pipeline running under that site gives opponents a tool with which to potentially wreak some havoc on this project.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 12-14-2013 at 01:19 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Whoa.

Do any of you have some links about this pipeline? I'd be curious to read more about it.
WSB-TV calls on SPSU expertise re Braves stadium site pipeline

From the link:
Quote:
WSB-TV calls on SPSU expertise re Braves stadium site pipeline...

...NOV. 20, 2013 – When WSB-TV needed to interview someone who could talk knowledgeably about the need to move a gas pipeline that currently runs through the proposed Cobb County site of the new Atlanta Braves stadium, the station tracked down Prof. Sam Beadles, chair of the Civil and Construction Engineering department.
Reporter Ross Cavitt interviewed Beadles on campus on Tues., Nov. 19 to find out how serious the situation is and what’s involved in moving a pipeline. To view the resulting report, go to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stmUkga7BwE&feature=youtu.be. (...link to WSB-TV video segment on gas pipeline that runs under the site of the proposed Braves stadium)

Old 12-14-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Right, but I meant, stuff in detail, such as where it runs, how big it is, etc. Just to get a sense of the size and scope of this thing.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
I just don't understand how anyone who has been to the top end of 285 between 75 and 400 could not be afraid [of] the traffic nightmare that is coming. It's already a nightmare from 3pm till 7pm with no stadium.
This is a good point.

People are afraid, very afraid, of the potential additional traffic issues that will result from the construction of the new stadium and the new traffic-generating high-density development that it will pop-up around it.

People are especially afraid of how an already severely-congested I-285 Top End Perimeter westbound will be affected by the new stadium and surrounding development in the Cumberland/Galleria area.

But traffic concerns are not necessarily reasons for individual communities to shy away from pursuing economic development opportunities that they think and/or know will benefit them greatly over the long-run.

You don't stop pursuing economic growth opportunities in a heavily-populated and fast-growing county because traffic is bad (...as is the case with Cobb County and its roughly 708,000 residents).

You continue to vigorously pursue those economic growth opportunities because your fast-growing population needs them, but you also make plans to improve and expand your transportation infrastructure to handle the increased traffic that will result from those important economic growth and development opportunities...

...Something which, contrary to seeming popular belief, is being done by way of the state-funded Northwest Corridor project to add a couple to variably-tolled reversible lanes to Interstates 75 & 575 outside of I-285 through Cobb and Cherokee counties, a project which is currently projected to be completed sometime in 2018.
NWCP Homepage

The state also has long-term plans to improve the I-285 Top End Perimeter corridor between the I-75 NW Cobb Cloverleaf and the I-85 NE Spaghetti Junction by way of the Revive 285 project, which will add bi-directional variable-toll lanes and high-capacity transit (bus rapid transit, light rail transit or heavy rail transit) to the I-285 Top End Perimeter corridor, although the project remains completely-unfunded at the moment.
The revive285 top end project

Cobb County business interests (the same interests who are behind the effort to relocate the Braves to the Cumberland/Galleria area of Cobb) also have an intense desire to implement high-capacity passenger rail service along US 41 Cobb Parkway and the historic Western & Atlantic Railroad right-of-way as a way of boosting the long-term real estate and economic development prospects of the Cumberland/Galleria area, the US 41 corridor, and the historic downtown villages along the W&A Railroad corridor in areas like Vinings, Smyrna, Marietta, Kennesaw, and Acworth.

...Though, in addition to needing some kind of revenue stream to fund these transportation desires, because US 41 and the W&A Railroad are state-owned and maintained right-of-ways, the Cobb County government also needs the cooperation of state government to get high-capacity rail transit built and operational on both of those right-of-ways.
http://portal.cobbcountyga.gov/image...Sheet_3_12.pdf

http://portal.cobbcountyga.gov/image...orridorMap.pdf

Connect Cobb

Old 12-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Right, but I meant, stuff in detail, such as where it runs, how big it is, etc. Just to get a sense of the size and scope of this thing.
The video link details that the gas pipeline runs right under where 1st and 3rd bases would be located on the diamond of the baseball field of the proposed stadium.

Here is a link (be warned as it is 72 pages long) that gives many more details of the size and scope of the major transcontinental gas pipeline that currently runs right under the site where the new Braves stadium is proposed to go:
http://www.colpipe.com/specs/propose...%20Meeting.pdf

Old 12-14-2013, 04:06 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
"Stuff" is built over the top of these things all over the place. Not going to be a major obstacle.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
"Stuff" is built over the top of these things all over the place. Not going to be a major obstacle.
The issue is the planned 2-level parking garage and the foundation needed to support the garage and a baseball stadium.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:11 AM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
I'm sure they'll move it. Those folks up in Cobb are pretty capable.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
The video link details that the gas pipeline runs right under where 1st and 3rd bases would be located on the diamond of the baseball field of the proposed stadium.

Here is a link (be warned as it is 72 pages long) that gives many more details of the size and scope of the major transcontinental gas pipeline that currently runs right under the site where the new Braves stadium is proposed to go:
http://www.colpipe.com/specs/propose...%20Meeting.pdf
OK thanks. So is the pipeline the main pipeline that runs from the Gulf Coast to the Northeast, or one of the feeder lines that heads up toward Tennessee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta