Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Cobb County officials know that the traffic in the area of the proposed new Braves stadium is already bad during evening rush hour.

Cobb County officials actually want traffic to get worse in the short-term so that the State of Georgia will be forced to fund and build the regional high-capacity passenger rail transit links (to Midtown, Downtown, the world-leading Atlanta Airport, and east to Perimeter Center/Dunwoody, Doraville and Gwinnett) that Cobb County business and real estate interests so desperately desire over the long-term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
This is unfortunately just wishful thinking. It has already been bad enough to justify high capacity transit for decades now. This plan specifically lacks a rail link. One won't pop out of thin air just because traffic gets worse. Inadequate transit is how they roll OTP.
That's a good point that the traffic issues in that I-75/US 41 Northwest Corridor have been bad enough to justify high capacity transit for quite awhile, but not everyone outside of the I-285 Perimeter is hardcore anti-transit, despite the increasingly obvious need for it.

Cobb County's very-ambitious business community has repeatedly stated over the years that they want the Cumberland/Galleria area to be as dominant (if not more dominant) on the Atlanta commercial scene as a Buckhead or a Midtown...

...And with the acquisition of the Atlanta Ballet, the Atlanta Opera and now the Atlanta Braves, Cobb County's business community has proven that they will stop at nothing to realize those ambitions of Metro Atlanta domination, even if realizing those ambitions means making already-severe Northside rush hour traffic congestion even that much worse.

With hardcore extreme anti-transit interests still very-dominant (though not as overwhelmingly dominant as they were in years' past) on the Cobb County political scene (a Cobb County political scene that dominates both Georgia and Southeastern politics), the only way for Cobb County's business and real estate interests to make the case for transit in such a political environment that remains highly-toxic to the concept of transit (which many in Georgia politics seriously regard as being the primary tool of an evil elaborate international Marxist plot to invade the U.S. and destroy the automobile-dominated American lifestyle) is to make traffic so miserably bad that the State of Georgia will have no choice but to eventually act and actively fund and coordinate some kind of regional intercounty rail transit links between Cobb County and the Atlanta Airport by way of Midtown and Downtown Atlanta (and between Cobb County and Gwinnett County by way of the I-285 Top End Perimeter).

Also, although this new Braves stadium proposal does not officially include a plan to link the site to the rest of the region with transit lines, there actually are a couple of unofficial proposed transit links that both the Cobb County and State of Georgia powers-that-be are keeping extremely-quiet because of the lack of a way to fund them (and the complete lack of understanding of a way to fund them) at this point and because of the angry backlash that would likely result if the politically-dominant anti-transit voters that decide elections OTP knew that conservative OTP lawmakers were backing a mode of transportation that they think is pure evil.

Here is a link that I posted earlier in this seemingly never-ending thread to a 24-page study titled "Transit Implementation Study, Northwest Corridor Light Rail Transit System, Cobb County, Georgia" that shows maps and studies of a proposed high-capacity passenger rail transit line along Cobb Parkway:
http://portal.cobbcountyga.gov/image...dy_Aug2010.pdf

Here are some links to documents concerning proposals to build a high-capacity passenger rail transit line across the Top End of the I-285 Perimeter between Cumberland Mall and the Doraville MARTA Station by way of the Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center/Dunwoody area (the transit proposal is part of an almost completely-unfunded proposal to increase multimodal transportation capacity along a highly-constrained I-285 Top End Perimeter corridor where attempting to expand the roadway could be a very-major challenge through a heavily-developed and politically-powerful area):
http://www.revive285.com/f/TSPSAInfoSheets.pdf

http://www.revive285.com/f/TSPWorkshopPresentation2.pdf

Profit-hungry (and somewhat megalomaniacal) Northside business and real estate development interests have also shown a growing interest in recent years in getting rail transit service extended outside of Fulton and DeKalb counties by possibly pushing the State of Georgia to take control of MARTA and sell it off to private investors.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
In the minds Cobb County business and real estate interests, getting the Atlanta Braves (in addition to already having the Atlanta Ballet and the Atlanta Opera as someone mentioned earlier) and at least a couple of direct high-capacity passenger rail transit links to the world-leading Atlanta Airport and I-85/Gwinnett County-anchored Northeast Metro Atlanta gives the Cumberland/Galleria area many distinct advantages over Perimeter Center and even a few advantages over Buckhead and Midtown.
Cumberland will never be on the same level as Buckhead or Midtown. Buckhead is known around the world, you'd be lucky to find someone outside of Georgia that knows Cumberland.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
A Yankees move to Nothern New Jersey would not even be a mile depending on the location. Connecticut is about 8 miles from the farthest reaches of the Bronx...about the same distance the Braves are moving away from Downtown.
...don't take this the wrong way, but it's obvious that you've never been to Yankee Stadium. Less than a mile to Northern NJ? There are two rivers and two bridges that separate the South Bronx and Northern NJ (and about $20 in tolls), and those two rivers are much wider than the Chattahochee. Connecticut maybe 8 miles from the eastern part of the Bronx, but not where Yankee Stadium is. The only comparable distance would be a move to Yonkers, NY, which borders The Bronx similar to how Cobb borders COA.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:28 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Cumberland will never be on the same level as Buckhead or Midtown. Buckhead is known around the world, you'd be lucky to find someone outside of Georgia that knows Cumberland.
About 3 months ago, most people outside of Cobb County's business and real estate brain trusts likely would have said the same exact thing, myself included.

But after Cobb County's stunning acquisition of the Atlanta Braves (after already acquiring the Atlanta Ballet and the Atlanta Opera), it probably would not be such a wise thing for competitors in other parts of the Atlanta region to write-off Cumberland's ambitious dreams of Metro Atlanta dominance.

Heck, I can think of more than a few people in the City of Atlanta who probably are not taking all that lightly anymore Cumberland's seemingly wildly-ambitious dreams of grandeur about now.

After taking the Braves from the City of Atlanta, it looks like Cumberland is dead serious about their ambitions to dominate the Metro Atlanta commercial real estate scene.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
About 3 months ago, most people outside of Cobb County's business and real estate brain trusts likely would have said the same exact thing, myself included.

But after Cobb County's stunning acquisition of the Atlanta Braves (after already acquiring the Atlanta Ballet and the Atlanta Opera), it probably would not be such a wise thing for competitors in other parts of the Atlanta region to write-off Cumberland's ambitious dreams of Metro Atlanta dominance.

Heck, I can think of more than a few people in the City of Atlanta who probably are not taking all that lightly anymore Cumberland's seemingly wildly-ambitious dreams of grandeur about now.

After taking the Braves from the City of Atlanta, it looks like Cumberland is dead serious about their ambitions to dominate the Metro Atlanta commercial real estate scene.
Those game time shots of the Cumberland skyline will sure bring a lot of attention to the area.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:39 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I'd honestly be surprised that the idiots who run the county would be that smart. If true, then it's a pretty expensive way to go about giving the finger to the City of Atlanta.
Revenge can hurt the avenger more than the intended target.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:32 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
...don't take this the wrong way, but it's obvious that you've never been to Yankee Stadium. Less than a mile to Northern NJ? There are two rivers and two bridges that separate the South Bronx and Northern NJ (and about $20 in tolls), and those two rivers are much wider than the Chattahochee. Connecticut maybe 8 miles from the eastern part of the Bronx, but not where Yankee Stadium is. The only comparable distance would be a move to Yonkers, NY, which borders The Bronx similar to how Cobb borders COA.
LOL, the classic Internet comeback.

I have been to Yankee Stadium (well the old one). I spent every summer in Queens when I was growing up and my Aunt (who was a huge Yankees fan) would take me all the time. She was trying to convert me from being a Braves fan. While it never worked, though in light of the Braves move I am reconsidering.

I am speaking literally when it comes to distances. The entire eastern portion of Manhattan is just less of a mile from Northern New Jersey. And while you are correct that Yankee Stadium itself is not literally 8 miles Connecticut, the Bronx is. You may not have an appreciation of it being a transplant and all, but the gulf between Downtown Atlanta and Cobb County is the same as it is between the Bronx and Connecticut. A move of the Yankees to either locale (which has no chance of happening ever IMHO) would similar from the perspective of a New Yorker that this Braves move is.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:03 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:

Cobb is a force to be reckoned with. They are very smart, have plenty of money and they don't make many mistakes.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:34 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Cobb is a force to be reckoned with. They are very smart, have plenty of money and they don't make many mistakes.
Uh. They probably did with the new Braves stadium.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:55 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Uh. They probably did with the new Braves stadium.
Cobb should make a bundle off this deal.

Can you imagine the hallelujahs that would go up in places like Charlotte or Jacksonville if they landed the Braves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta