Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,341,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't see it so much as decentralization as it is relocation of the center.

Much of Cobb is denser than much of the city of Atlanta. In short, we've just seen a general demographic shift to the north. The new Braves location is probably as close or closer to the center than they were at the Ted.
Do you mind telling me where those much areas are? Before you say Smyrna...it's 16 square miles. Vinings sounds dense as well but is apparently the size of a Wal-Mart Super Center parking lot. City density doesn't say that much. Centroid to all population centers would likely have put the stadium somewhere near Dunwoody or Chamblee since quite a huge population(much more than Cobb) lies between N Fulton, Gwinnett, Forsyth, and Dekalb.

They didn't shift to the population center. They shifted to the free cash center.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:57 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,074,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post

They didn't shift to the population center. They shifted to the free cash (courtesy of screwed-over Cobb taxpayers) center.
Fixed that for you

Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,337,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Fixed that for you
If Bartow or Henry Counties gave them the same deal, do you think they'd have gone there? I don't.

Time to get over it ladies.

The team moving 10 miles up the highway toward their fanbase is not a big deal.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
If Bartow or Henry Counties gave them the same deal, do you think they'd have gone there? I don't.

Time to get over it ladies.

The team moving 10 miles up the highway toward their fanbase is not a big deal.
So I guess the next time that your county "leadership" puts a half-billion dollar liability on you the taxpayer by railroading it through without voter approval, I'm sure you'll just take it and smile.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,552,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
So I guess the next time that your county "leadership" puts a half-billion dollar liability on you the taxpayer by railroading it through without voter approval, I'm sure you'll just take it and smile.
I have to wonder why non-Cobb folks are suddenly worried about Cobb. I've never heard them express that concern before.

Folks in Atlanta who supported the Falcons stadium dismissed the same concerns we COA residents raised when we balked at the city government railroading through several hundred million in tax dollars for a new dome.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,341,754 times
Quote:
I have to wonder why non-Cobb folks are suddenly worried about Cobb. I've never heard them express that concern before.

Folks in Atlanta who supported the Falcons stadium dismissed the same concerns we COA residents raised when we balked at the city government railroading through several hundred million in tax dollars for a new dome.
It's not just Cobb that will be paying for the stadium. Liberty will be calling on the governor hat in hand proclaiming job creation soon enough. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't pull a we're moving to Alabama unless the county forgives the balance blackmail move in 5 yrs should revenue projections not be as rosy. Likely something Cobb probably forgot to put in their contract.

I could care less about Cobb other than their wholly adversarial nature to the metro as a whole. Lived there for years (Vinings & Marietta) and it was a cul-de-sac of suburban monotony. No more descriptive than any other suburb of Atlanta.

I'm not supportive of the Falcons stadium either...corporate handouts suck regardless of where they take place. At a minimum, the Falcons involved both the city and the state as well as bringing in the majority of the overall funding. Had Gwinnett poached the Falcons w/ hundreds of millions of secret dealmaking and giveaways I'd probably be just as skeptical of the outcome.

What about this deal is positive and transparent? Why the need for such utter secrecy if it's such a win win for the county?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 AM

7,345 posts, read 6,478,671 times
Quote:

Aside from the philosophy of corporate handouts, for me it's about the regional effects. In a few years when the Cumberland area is dying thanks to this misstep and the extra traffic, the companies around there aren't going to slide over to Gwinnett or Dunwoody or back downtown, they'll leave the region and head someplace like Charlotte or Dallas.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:55 AM

10,339 posts, read 11,342,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Aside from the philosophy of corporate handouts, for me it's about the regional effects. In a few years when the Cumberland area is dying thanks to this misstep and the extra traffic, the companies around there aren't going to slide over to Gwinnett or Dunwoody or back downtown, they'll leave the region and head someplace like Charlotte or Dallas.
Cobb County's business and real estate leadership actually seems to want the extra traffic over the shorter-term so that they can force the state to fund rail transit links to the Airport (by way of Midtown and Downtown) and to Gwinnett (by way of the I-285 Top End Perimeter corridor).

...But most importantly, Cobb County's business leadership wants that direct rail transit link to Downtown and the Airport which in their minds will allow them to make a run at overtaking Perimeter Center, Buckhead and maybe even Midtown in the Metro Atlanta commercial real estate market.

In this current political environment which is still dominated by ultraconservative anti-transit factions OTP, Cobb County's ambitious business and real estate community (not to be confused with anti-transit political leaders like Cobb County GOP Chairman Joe Dendy who stated that traffic solutions should not be about connect Cobb to Atlanta with transit) has deducted that the only way to get the transit links to Downtown and the Airport that they so desperately want is to make traffic worse in the area of I-285/I-75/US 41 NW.

Cobb County's business leaders want to make traffic as bad as possible on the Northside so that they can increase their chances of getting much sooner than later the direct rail transit link to Downtown and the Airport that they so intensely desire as a means of dramatically increasing the value of Cumberland/Galleria area and Cobb County real estate...

...Which is what this is all really about at its heart...a land speculation/real estate development scheme to increase the value of Cobb County real estate over both the short and long-term (using public tax dollars as the capital, of course).

Cobb County's business and real estate interests figure that by making traffic even worse than it is now, the current political dominance of the anti-transit factions that are standing in the way of a Cumberland-Downtown-Airport rail transit link will be dwarfed by the demand for something constructive to be done about traffic on a large-scale...something like regional heavy rail transit service between Cobb County and the Atlanta Airport (by way of Downtown) and regional heavy rail transit service between Cobb and Gwinnett counties (by way of the Perimeter Center area).

In the minds of Cobb County's business and real estate interests, they've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by making traffic worse for everyone else.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
As I've mentioned multiple times throughout this thread, I am a Cobb County resident. In my case, this isn't ITP sour-grapes/butthurt.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,815,888 times
. . . I see many minds have been changed through this 50-page discourse.

/sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta