Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 04:52 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Oops, sorry about that. I missed it in all the whooping about a monorail.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:46 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oops, sorry about that. I missed it in all the whooping about a monorail.
Not just any monorail Arjay, the funniest damn monorail ever.

Regardless of a difference of opinion, everybody should watch that episode of the Simpsons. Such great commentary on democracy/mob mentality. One of the best episodes in entire span of 25 seasons. Written by Conan O'Brien along with brilliant voice work by a very much missed Phil Hartman (RIP). And Leonard Nimoy makes an appearance.

I bet if one searched google for- Marge vs the Monorail - they could find a way to view it.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:20 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Not just any monorail Arjay, the funniest damn monorail ever.

Regardless of a difference of opinion, everybody should watch that episode of the Simpsons. Such great commentary on democracy/mob mentality. One of the best episodes in entire span of 25 seasons. Written by Conan O'Brien along with brilliant voice work by a very much missed Phil Hartman (RIP). And Leonard Nimoy makes an appearance.

I bet if one searched google for- Marge vs the Monorail - they could find a way to view it.
Excellent indeed, tiiki.

Works for the streetcar, the Falcons stadium, Underground, and umpteen other projects as well.

"Step right up, folks, and get on this here deluxe bandwagon."

Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Excellent indeed, tiiki.

Works for the streetcar, the Falcons stadium, Underground, and umpteen other projects as well.

"Step right up, folks, and get on this here deluxe bandwagon."

Yep, people in large groups tend to be really stupid. All it takes is a great sales person. I'm sure I'm guilty of it too though!

There is so much truth in the humor of the mob mentality in that episode. I would put a direct link up, but I bet I would get in trouble

Old 06-05-2014, 11:44 AM

283 posts, read 375,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
What I've read is a bunch of whiners complaining about it not being closer to them, how it's a "slap in the face" to Atlanta, media attacking the stadium deal, people rightly trying to push Cobb to make sure traffic isn't an issue, and people in North Cobb fighitng back, and some people shut out of a meeting on a technicality, which was a poor political move.

The traffic concern leads to a bunch of nonsense that is speculation that will initially hurt the Braves because some people won't even bother to try going out there.

What I have seen is the Braves preserve part of a pond people have been asking for to be saved and I talked directly with the Braves president about. I've seen the Braves be good partners. I've seen Cobb be responsive, find alternate funding for the DD interchange at Windy Hill that was voted down in the T-SPLOST by the entire metro. To plan a pedestrian bridge over I-285 to make things more walkable around the interchange. To do some studies.

Everyone has their small gripes. I do wish they would build a flyover for those of us that live West of the stadium, but at least they were honest in telling me that probably wasn't going to happen before 2017. Not a biggie. I have faster ways of getting home from downtown on surface roads. It'll just be a little harder on the wheels and brakes, and less scenic.
Time will tell when the stadium's finally live and the full impact can be seen, as well as how this whole deal with impact the county's bottom line in the future. It'll make for an interesting walk down memory lane at City Data Forums.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
It'll make for an interesting walk down memory lane at City Data Forums.
Over the course of my relatively short time on these forums, this thread stands out as the top contender to come back to.

I hope that despite the despicable actions of the county commission, Cobb remains a great place to live. It probably will, just with a real perverted sense of county budget priorities.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:42 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
Time will tell when the stadium's finally live and the full impact can be seen, as well as how this whole deal with impact the county's bottom line in the future. It'll make for an interesting walk down memory lane at City Data Forums.
One thing I think is that the stadium and especially the mixed use's entertainment will have more impact in Cumberland than it would in Atlanta. Other than the trails, some mixed-use development, Performing Arts Center and a movie theater, a Dave and Busters and restaurants, Cumberland and the general area around it is lacking in entertainment. This won't single-highhandedly fix that, but it's a step in the right direction.

Atlanta, on the other hand, already has a lot of entertainment. This is a drop in the bucket for Atlanta.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-05-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 05:05 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Many will claim a victory for Cobb when the mixed use development opens 3 years from now. Which despite some doubts, I am sure Tim Lee will make sure some development opens there. But the real results will be 20 years from now.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:26 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
I personally feel Cumberland is ready to pop, and that it's going to be more like 5-7 years of building cranes being a common sight versus a 20 year wait. It already has been having a good amount of new development and infill. And it will still have some greenfield land available even after the Braves development, but anyone developing there now will be well aware that it's running out. That makes a huge difference towards the amount of density that is developed. We have to have more of that apartment development to bring more young people and empty nesters into Cumberland so that it can gain a nightlife.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:10 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
When the Opera left Atlanta for Cobb, no one yelled, screamed and castigated the Cobbians...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta