U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 09:43 PM

9,918 posts, read 6,906,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Correct-a-mundo, definitely a different breed. I remember hearing complaints about the 50 cent toll on Rt. 400. Unfortunately there are cost associated with living in certain types of cities, I guess you have to pay to play. To some it's worth that cost, to me it was no longer worth it.
Nope. It costs money to build roads anywhere. Its just a question of if you want to use tax money to give people a discount to drive more or not. People in Atlanta are used to getting that discount for driving but that is something that is not locked in for life. Look at how the HOT lanes have become widely accepted and used after a few short months of complaints.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:55 PM

4,909 posts, read 3,710,802 times
What discount? The only people that get a "free ride" are the out of towners, but that's ok, because they assist our economy in other ways. If anything, it's rural Georgia's that's gotten the free ride as most of the road taxes generated in Atlanta, go to the rest of the state.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:45 AM

9,567 posts, read 8,632,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What discount? The only people that get a "free ride" are the out of towners, but that's ok, because they assist our economy in other ways. If anything, it's rural Georgia's that's gotten the free ride as most of the road taxes generated in Atlanta, go to the rest of the state.
The rural regions may appear to be getting something of a free ride if you look at taxes collected per square mile (or whatever geographical measure you may wish to use). However, those rural folks pay a per capita tax the same as the city folks (in terms of gas tax). So, I'm not sure how honest it is to say that someone in Sumter County is getting a free ride that someone in Fulton County is paying for.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:02 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,940,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
The rural regions may appear to be getting something of a free ride if you look at taxes collected per square mile (or whatever geographical measure you may wish to use). However, those rural folks pay a per capita tax the same as the city folks (in terms of gas tax). So, I'm not sure how honest it is to say that someone in Sumter County is getting a free ride that someone in Fulton County is paying for.
I don't think the problem is the tax collections per capita(rural drivers generally drive more) but the spending per capita. There are more than a few oversized roads in sparsely populated areas of the state that vastly outstrip the extra miles the rural folks put on their cars. See Sonny Perdue's intervention on GA 96 ($100M road project) as well as other random pork barrel projects designed to "spur" development in powerful districts.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:18 AM

3,169 posts, read 3,037,088 times
As per what Mishap wrote about the spending of tax dollars to "overbuild" highways, as I'll call it, in rural, a case in point that is mind-boggling to me is the expense made to 4 lane a long stretch of road that comprises the U.S. 27/State 1/Martha Berry Highway corridor in southwest Georgia both north and south of Lumpkin, Ga.
Lumpkin has a population of 1,300 & is the county seat of Stewart County, population 6,000.
I've traveled in one direction on the 4 lane corridor for upwards of 2 to 3 miles without meeting any oncoming traffic on the other side of the median from me. What a waste of money!

Old 12-27-2013, 11:56 PM

9,918 posts, read 6,906,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
We have been over this before Ansley: Because roads are not paid with gas tax (at least less than 25%). They are mostly paid with money from general funds that come from income and sales on everybody, even if they have never been in a car.

You get roads paid for 100% by user fees then you can make this claim. Until then: nope. We are stealing from everyone to give discounts to people that move further away. Bad policy.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:26 AM

4,909 posts, read 3,710,802 times
Just like we're stealing from everyone to give discounts on police to crime victims, or discounts on fire department services to fire victims. (yes, in that MARTA topic you asked me to link you the disproof of your "user fees" idea, I will do that, I had food poisoning this week)

Old 12-28-2013, 01:00 AM

4,944 posts, read 3,995,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
We have been over this before Ansley: Because roads are not paid with gas tax (at least less than 25%). They are mostly paid with money from general funds that come from income and sales on everybody, even if they have never been in a car.

You get roads paid for 100% by user fees then you can make this claim. Until then: nope. We are stealing from everyone to give discounts to people that move further away. Bad policy.
I thought gas taxes paid for most of Georgia's roads, sans the interstates.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:16 AM

175 posts, read 176,081 times
SOOOOOO Let me get this straight...Cobb approves the addition of A new Stadium at probably the Second worse intersection after spaghetti junction but Has NO plan to expand MARTA or or at least a light rail to Midtown in the works in cohesion with this new stadium???????....I can see the gridlock now on weekday game days from I-20-To the 575 Merge & 285 Royally Fvked already!!! LOL...Good Luck With this one!!! Only in Georgia..Only In Georgia...

Old 12-28-2013, 07:40 AM

9,567 posts, read 8,632,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

For the sake of the discussion, I will assume your statistics are correct (huge amount from Feds, too). But, many of those "far away" people are from families who have historically lived in the rural areas. Heck, I can trace my family back many generations in Southwest Georgia. For most of those folks, that's just home. Can't ask them to pack up and move to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or