U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 AM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,480,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

But as a city of Atlanta resident I am fine with this deal. Many of those that are coming from out of town to Braves games are going to be renting cars and staying in hotels in the city of Atlanta. So I think this works out good for the city, especially when you compare it to what the Braves were demanding. So Atlanta gets economic benefits without any added taxes. Something the suburbs have been doing for decades.
This is a good point. While they will get an increase in hotel guests, NOBODY is going to fly into Atlanta and then rent a car in Cobb, so they need to take that source of revenue out of the equation.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:39 AM

1,164 posts, read 926,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This is a good point. While they will get an increase in hotel guests, NOBODY is going to fly into Atlanta and then rent a car in Cobb, so they need to take that source of revenue out of the equation.
Um. There are rental car companies in Cobb County that rent cars. The rental car tax isn't a major source of funding in the deal, but I'm pretty sure they don't need to zero it out.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:48 AM

9,918 posts, read 6,909,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Poll: Cobb residents want Braves stadium - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

In fairness, I don't think enough polling has been done to be sure what the consensus really is. My neighbors are excited.
That poll is actually has lower support than I have seen when asking about the support of Braves moving to Cobb. Many have around +60% if there is no cost to tax payers:

http://landmarkcommunications.net/wp...Cobb-Only-.pdf

But most do not support the reality of the deal:

Quote:
Q2. What is your opinion on using taxpayer funds to build a new stadium in for the Atlanta Braves in Cobb County? ... 67.4% Oppose
Quote:
That development will substantially expand the property tax base, which will increase funding for Cobb County schools (a completely different tax bucket than the one the commission manages), and also drive incremental sales tax revenue of which Cobb County schools get a piece.
That is a nice thought but it is not the reality though. We can see that by looking at the area around Turner. Or asking any economist:

If You Build It, They Might Not Come: The Risky Economics of Sports Stadiums - Pat Garofalo and Travis Waldron - The Atlantic
Stadium financing: Pay and play and pay some more | The Economist
Pro sports stadiums don't bolster local economies, scholars say | Archives | News Bureau | University of Illinois

Old 11-27-2013, 09:54 AM
JPD

Quote:
Um. There are rental car companies in Cobb County that rent cars. The rental car tax isn't a major source of funding in the deal, but I'm pretty sure they don't need to zero it out.
And how exactly are out of town fans going to get from the airport to Cobb County? They aren't going to take a cab and then rent a car when they get to Cobb.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 AM

9,918 posts, read 6,909,650 times
Quote:
No not zero. But I promise you that most anyone that is going to rent a car to go to a Braves game is not going to rent it in Cobb. Meanwhile, those that might have considered renting a car in Cobb may take their business elsewhere because there is less tax.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 AM

1,164 posts, read 926,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
That is a nice thought but it is not the reality though. We can see that by looking at the area around Turner. Or asking any economist:
I am an economist. I'll just make two quick points. First, there is a HUGE difference between redevelopment/renewal and development. Development opportunities in the Cumberland area are simply not comparable to the development challenges around Turner Field. Second, the Braves will implement the planned $400 million non-stadium development on the site because it's a big piece of the revenue opportunity for them. It's what they wanted at Turner Field and couldn't get. That development doesn't hinge on the decisions of third parties that may or may not materialize.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:09 AM

12,918 posts, read 21,003,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Why does this whole process feel so rushed, as if the Commission wants to stay two steps ahead of the Vox Populi?

Yes.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:22 AM

188 posts, read 237,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I'm sure up in Marietta, everyone is pleased.

Ask us in Smyrna - you know the people that have to live with this train wreck.

It's not rushed because of timelines. It's rushed because it stinks and the faster they ram it past us, the better for them.
FYI, Marietta commuters will feel the pain on game day just as much as their neighbors in Smyrna. Good luck getting up on I-75N when everyone is enroute to the stadium.

Time to recall these donkey turds. I for one contacted my district representative Bob Ott in advance of the vote. I'm work for Delta and I'm a pilot just like him... but the toilet slime didn't even have the common decency to acknowledge me. The roach must be well-greased by the Braves to so blatantly support this under-the-table deal long before his constituents even knew about it. I imagine he'll be getting lifetime tickets to the stadium too. Perhaps he owned some real estate in the Cumberland area that he had pending sale to the Braves. Who knows? He sure as heck didn't want his voters to know. SO I WILL ACTIVELY SUPPORT THE RECALL OF COBB COUNTY DISTRICT TWO COMMISSIONER BOB OTT.

REMEMBER THE COMMISSIONERS WHO VOTED IN FAVOR OF THIS ROTTEN DEAL AND PUNISH THEM AT THE POLLS:

TIM LEE
BOB OTT
JOANN BIRRELL
HELEN GOREHAM

The only commissioner who listened to her constituents was Lisa Cupid, who voted no.

Lastly, I'll be happy to post a sign in my yard for the Braves fans who drive by. Something along the lines of a middle finger alongside the Braves. I don't have a neighborhood HOA so it's all fair game. I personally hope this stadium destroys the Braves fan base. May the Braves end up envying the Cleveland Browns.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:10 PM

28,146 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Once the Braves settle in and start ginning money and new development for the county the opposition will likely die down. There's no way this can't be a home run for Cobb.

Look at all the moaning and groaning that's gone on in city of Atlanta. I can't think of any place that wasn't saddened to lose a big league baseball team, or any place that wasn't excited to get one.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Once the Braves settle in and start ginning money and new development for the county the opposition will likely die down. There's no way this can't be a home run for Cobb.
I think it's pretty obvious that the traffic disaster this move will create will keep the opposition from dying down for many years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or