U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 AM

22,499 posts, read 16,505,720 times

Advertisements

That price tag is starting to grow, but no worries because they don't mess around in Cobb County.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:18 PM

10,063 posts, read 7,052,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There are several differences there:

(1) Coolray is minor league ball, not the big leagues. There is really no comparison.

(2) The economy tanked just about the time it opened. However, things are starting to heat up again. Coolray Field mixed-use development moves forward - Atlanta Business Chronicle

(3) Gwinnett is great but there is only one Cobb. I don't want to start a bunch of squabbling between the two of them because neither one messes around but Gwinnett has had some corruption to deal with.
Not sure I buy into Cobb leaders being better than all other metro leaders and immune from corruption as they funnel $400M+ to a private out of state corporation in a rushed back-room deal without a public vote.

But some good news for the stadium. The boy scouts are going to save turtles from the lake on the site of the stadium: At Stadium Site, Braves Kindheartedly Spare Turtles - Braves Exodus - Curbed Atlanta

Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 PM

28,377 posts, read 25,043,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Not sure I buy into Cobb leaders being better than all other metro leaders and immune from corruption as they funnel $400M+ to a private out of state corporation in a rushed back-room deal without a public vote. [/url]
Hm, other city and county government, including the city of Atlanta, do the same thing all the time.

Not sure why Cobb is suddenly being singled out as the whipping boy.

Good on the scouts for saving the baby turtles. The world needs more people like this.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Hm, other city and county government, including the city of Atlanta, do the same thing all the time.

Not sure why Cobb is suddenly being singled out as the whipping boy.
You are the one singling out Cobb saying their leaders are somehow better than the rest of the metro and immune to corruption. Other counties have backed bonds to help companies that move to the area (which I also disagree with and see as a mild form of corruption). But Cobb is the only one to do it on this scale: Creating 3 new taxes and using property taxes to pay out $400M plus.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:07 PM

28,377 posts, read 25,043,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
You are the one singling out Cobb saying their leaders are somehow better than the rest of the metro and immune to corruption.
I'm just saying Cobb doesn't mess around.

As to the bond thing, cities and counties do that all the time. COA is issuing bonds for the Falcons, something call the Yoo tower, and has passed them out to everybody from Georgia Tech to Morehouse to the Aquarium and the Civil rights museum.

Fulton is issuing $100 million in bonds for an apartment complex in Buckhead which has already been built and is 100% occupied and has already been sold to Met life.

Why start beating up on Cobb all of a sudden?

Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 PM

254 posts, read 294,166 times
Quote:
You say a different county/city "doesn't mess around" every day or so. We get it. Somehow all of the suburbs don't "mess around."

Although I do appreciate that you play the devil's advocate so often, so at least so we get some differing viewpoints and pro's/con's.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Why start beating up on Cobb all of a sudden?
Because this Braves stadium thing is messing around with tax payers money. The county should not be making making large bets on private companies with tax dollars.

Something on this scale is unprecedented in the metro area where it requires property taxes and three new taxes to created all without voter approval. That is why I feel Cobb leaders do not deserve to be singled out in a positive light.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 AM

Squeeze play? Braves face ‘Herculean effort’ on new stadium

Quote:
In a lengthy interview, Kolber, who also writes a column for Atlanta Business Chronicle, said the elephant in the room was whether it would be possible for the Braves and Cobb to be able to negotiate all the agreements and get them approved through the various governmental bodies and then be able to get all the bond documents ready to go to market without any threat of litigation by the end of the year.
Quote:
The MOU, which was passed by the Cobb Commission in a 4-1 vote in November, does not make the stadium a done deal, Kolber said. The non-binding agreement does not even include a standard “break-up fee” or a “stand-still covenant” that would have protected Cobb County if the deal were to fall apart.

“It would have been in Cobb’s interest to have a ‘break-up fee’ or ‘stand-still covenant,’ ” Kolber said. “If you exercise your option to not continue negotiations, you pay us a predetermined amount of amount of money. It would be a lot of money to discourage them from leaving”
Quote:
If the Braves and Cobb are unable to nail down all aspects of the deal by the end of the year, there are questions as to what options exist for the baseball team.

In looking over the operating agreement between the Atlanta Braves and the Atlanta-Fulton County Recreation Authority, the Braves have four options to renew their lease at Turner Field in five-year increments.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:35 AM

Looks like Cobb is play fast-and-loose with this Braves deal and putting Cobb tax payers at risk.

Still hoping they don't delay the move though. I think they have already lost a lot on their in-town fans and their delay would only serve to delay any potential redevelopment of the site.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:42 PM
JPD

11,983 posts, read 14,627,399 times
We'll see how much Cobb messes around as the stadium gets closer to becoming a reality.

I predict it will be a LOT of messing around.

Check back on this thread in the future and we'll see if I'm right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or