U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 06:44 AM

20,962 posts, read 32,955,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Cobb county traffic is already the worst in the region. Adding thousands of fans trying to get to the game can ONLY make it worse, not better.
My DH commutes between Buckhead and the Cumberland area. Most of his employees are Cobb County residents; he's a daily witness to the commuting challenges they face. He's still shaking his head over this.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:16 AM

28,148 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Hopefully most of the Braves traffic won't occur during peak commuting hours.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:06 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,483,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hopefully most of the Braves traffic won't occur during peak commuting hours.
Every 7-7:30 PM start on a weeknight will involve fans heading to the ballpark in the thick of PM rush hour.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:34 AM

Interesting perspective from a Cobb resident:
Quote:
Listen you ITP people, there’s no reason to get personal. We Cobb residents didn’t ask for a baseball stadium any more than you Atlantans lobbied to kick the Braves out. Please direct your anger at Braves owner Liberty Media and your own elected officials. Hating on Cobb County is like an ex-wife blaming her husband’s new spouse, even though she’s the one who initiated the divorce.

See more at: Commentary: Dear Braves fans, stop taking it out on Cobb - Daily Agenda - Atlanta Magazine

Old 11-29-2013, 09:50 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,483,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Interesting perspective from a Cobb resident:
Most people I know ITP that don't like this move are more pissed at Liberty Media at the Braves. The Cobb residents (myself included) are all pissed off at the county commission for rushing it thorugh.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM

I guess we can't fuss at Cobb for wanting the same thing the city of Atlanta supposedly wanted.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:12 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,598,774 times
There is a petition on Change.org that seems to be getting some good traction so far:

Atlanta Braves Ownership: Keep the Braves at Turner Field - http://www.change.org/petitions/atla...t-turner-field

Old 11-30-2013, 07:32 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,527,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You might want to check your dosage.
Just like all the TSPLOST doom and gloom people need to check their dosage, right? All the companies that would leave or fail to come to Atlanta (and go to Birmingham instead), and the ensuing economic disaster that would result from the failure to pass TSPLOST seems to have been just the delusions of people whose medication needs adjustment, no?

No matter what the discussion, building transit is the topic, and doom and gloom is always the prediction for failure to do so.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Cobb county traffic is already the worst in the region. Adding thousands of fans trying to get to the game can ONLY make it worse, not better.
You need to put that in proper context. Are you saying traffic in Acworth is worst in the region...doubt it. Are you saying that traffic on Roswell Rd in East Cobb is worst in the region...doubt it. What you are intimating is that I-75 north of I-285 in Cobb is typically backed up. South of I-285 it is typically moving quite well. The I-285 ramp from the outer loop to I-75 north can get backed up, but even that isn't typically that bad. I get off at the Delk Rd, Dobbins exit to avoid traffic and the flow moves well up to that point. Even after that point, it's typically just another 15 min to Barrett Pkwy even in the worst of it.

What you are failing to consider is a majority of the people coming to the new stadium will not be getting on I-75 north, and the stadium is right there, literally within feet of I-285 and I-75. Many people will be coming against traffic if the heat map is to be believed. Others will be coming from other northern suburbs, so yes, the ramps from I-285 need to be addressed, but that can be done relatively easily, and strategies such as removing light cycles and using police to direct traffic can help keep things moving. Don't forget that many games will be on weekends, and even the weekday Braves games don't start until 7:30pm (later than most cities). Not everyone arrives during peak or at the same time.

I'm really not sure why people ignore that other cities, including Atlanta with Turner Field, have ballparks that are in the middle of key traffic patterns. In fact, that's one of the criteria for why the location is probably chosen.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My DH commutes between Buckhead and the Cumberland area. Most of his employees are Cobb County residents; he's a daily witness to the commuting challenges they face. He's still shaking his head over this.
And exactly where are those challenges? I can't say I do that trip daily, but I do it often enough, and frankly I don't see huge challenges, especially on I-75 south of I-285. My guess is they see their challenges on GA400 or on I-285 or on the interchange between the two.

Some of this is expectations. If people expect to see 80 mph speeds during rush hour, then that's your lack of correct expectations. To me, if the traffic is moving, then it's not a big issue. Too many in Atlanta think that unless they can hit the left lane and do 80 mph, that it's a huge problem. Even the few times I've had to ride I-75 up beyond Delk Rd, it's always been moving.

For me, the speed of the traffic isn't as big of a deal as the morons who cut into traffic and screw up the smooth flow. Many times, the traffic impediments aren't solely volume, but they're volume compounded by the crash caused by the moron following too closely or driving aggressively. Happens all the time, whether or not the weather is good or bad. We hit traffic coming back from Florida one time after a long weekend, north of Macon, because of some volume, but mainly because of the numerous bumper tapper crashes from idiots going to fast and following too closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or