U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 10:07 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,407,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
This almost reminds of that episode of The Simpsons where a con man convinces the town to build a monorail, and even though it's not needed, the residents and city get sucked into the hype and it nearly ends up bankrupting the town.
How did I not think of that comparison?!? Its almost perfect. Nah, you would'nt like it.... its more of an Atlanta idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZBPoRwog00

Old 06-04-2014, 10:38 AM

9,965 posts, read 6,965,063 times
Braves president drops new hints about stadium mixed-use development - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Quote:
In a lunchtime speech to about 300 people at Vinings Bank on Tuesday, Schuerholz mentioned a bowling alley
MONORAIL!
Quote:
and a movie theater
MONORAIL!
Quote:
, and he talked briefly about a previously mentioned entertainment venue
MONORAIL!

Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,315,833 times
Oh, give me a break. The Braves stadium mixed use is a good thing. I hope the theater is something like Cinebistro and/or more geared towards children. We already have an AMC in Cumberland, with a bar nonetheless.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 AM

1,061 posts, read 883,809 times
I'm dying here! Legendary thread! Even better when this clusterf*ck gets exposed for what it is.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
I'm dying here! Legendary thread! Even better when this clusterf*ck gets exposed for what it is.
Explain how this is a cluster f*

Old 06-04-2014, 12:23 PM

454 posts, read 428,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Explain how this is a cluster f*
Just read back through the thread. Good lord, this has been done to death. There are about 500 explanations as to why this is a clusterf**k.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
Just read back through the thread. Good lord, this has been done to death. There are about 500 explanations as to why this is a clusterf**k.
What I've read is a bunch of whiners complaining about it not being closer to them, how it's a "slap in the face" to Atlanta, media attacking the stadium deal, people rightly trying to push Cobb to make sure traffic isn't an issue, and people in North Cobb fighitng back, and some people shut out of a meeting on a technicality, which was a poor political move.

The traffic concern leads to a bunch of nonsense that is speculation that will initially hurt the Braves because some people won't even bother to try going out there.

What I have seen is the Braves preserve part of a pond people have been asking for to be saved and I talked directly with the Braves president about. I've seen the Braves be good partners. I've seen Cobb be responsive, find alternate funding for the DD interchange at Windy Hill that was voted down in the T-SPLOST by the entire metro. To plan a pedestrian bridge over I-285 to make things more walkable around the interchange. To do some studies.

Everyone has their small gripes. I do wish they would build a flyover for those of us that live West of the stadium, but at least they were honest in telling me that probably wasn't going to happen before 2017. Not a biggie. I have faster ways of getting home from downtown on surface roads. It'll just be a little harder on the wheels and brakes, and less scenic.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:04 PM

9,965 posts, read 6,965,063 times
Quote:
Oh, give me a break. The Braves stadium mixed use is a good thing. I hope the theater is something like Cinebistro and/or more geared towards children. We already have an AMC in Cumberland, with a bar nonetheless.
Cobb deserves to be commended for their desire to have a walk-able mixed use stadium complex, it is very un-Cobb and sounds like it will be nice as proposed. Even if the mixed use development gets build with a bowling ally, movie theater, and entertainment venue, it doesn't mean that the project is successful and not a boondoggle.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:53 PM

454 posts, read 428,965 times
Quote:
What I've read is a bunch of whiners complaining about it not being closer to them, how it's a "slap in the face" to Atlanta, media attacking the stadium deal, people rightly trying to push Cobb to make sure traffic isn't an issue, and people in North Cobb fighitng back, and some people shut out of a meeting on a technicality, which was a poor political move.

The traffic concern leads to a bunch of nonsense that is speculation that will initially hurt the Braves because some people won't even bother to try going out there.
So when a lot of people have legitimate concerns about the deal, for whatever reason they give, they are "a bunch of whiners." There are plenty of good responses in this thread. You clearly didn't read any of them objectively. Nice to see that you simply write off people who disagree with you, even if they raise perfectly respectable arguments. Sounds kind of like the "hearing" in Cobb last week.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
So when a lot of people have legitimate concerns about the deal, for whatever reason they give, they are "a bunch of whiners." There are plenty of good responses in this thread. You clearly didn't read any of them objectively. Nice to see that you simply write off people who disagree with you, even if they raise perfectly respectable arguments. Sounds kind of like the "hearing" in Cobb last week.
There's a difference between constructive complaints, and calling something a cluster f*, or boondoggle, especially when it's in month 6 of a 2.5 year thing. If people want to be taken seriously, they need to avoid those absolute statements which are rarely accurate. I may sound like a lawyer, but there are analytical people like me who are not going to take such appeals to emotion seriously, except appeals to our anger for constantly belittling Cobb County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Cobb deserves to be commended for their desire to have a walk-able mixed use stadium complex, it is very un-Cobb and sounds like it will be nice as proposed. Even if the mixed use development gets build with a bowling ally, movie theater, and entertainment venue, it doesn't mean that the project is successful and not a boondoggle.
Thanks for commending the county and not belittling us, even if you took the opportunity to raise the potential specter of a boondoggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or