U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:05 PM

4,946 posts, read 3,997,094 times

Advertisements

Back to the stadium itself. I've heard some tales about it supposedly being "built into a hill." Can anyone elaborate on this? Like, how high up above the playing field will the highest entrance be?

Old 06-11-2014, 04:20 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,295,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Back to the stadium itself. I've heard some tales about it supposedly being "built into a hill." Can anyone elaborate on this? Like, how high up above the playing field will the highest entrance be?
Yes. Originally, they were going to put it close to where Windy Ridge crosses I-75, across the road from the Boy scouts building, and visible from the highway. That location is at the top of a small hill.

The groups the Braves hired to come up with the stadium plan decided it would be better to build the stadium into the natural bowl of the site, closer to the center of the site. That bowl is centered more or less where the detention pond is. Basically, if you think about where the detention pond is now, the stadium will be right next to it. 1 acre of the pond will be left next to the stadium. The best way to get an idea of the topography of the site is to look at the dips of Circle 75 next to it, then think about some of the site is up-hill from Circle 75, but the pond is actually even with the lowest point of Circle 75, and the bottom of the pond is even lower. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ci...34e1d5a8d6cba4

That also puts the stadium more or less where the pedestrian bridge will be.

They are currently digging things out even more for the footprint of the stadium, since on the edge of the detention pond, there was a gradual hill, which they are carving out.

I can't remember the justification for wanting to use the natural bowl in the site. I think one benefit they mentioned is that it'll help with sunlight affecting batters, so they won't need as big an awning over the top. I'll see what I can dig up.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:56 PM

559 posts, read 636,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I can't remember the justification for wanting to use the natural bowl in the site. I think one benefit they mentioned is that it'll help with sunlight affecting batters, so they won't need as big an awning over the top. I'll see what I can dig up.
Great post, Net.

One other benefit of building the stadium deeper is for restauranteurs who want to have the Wrigley type effect in their stadium restaurants. I know one in particular who has lobbied the Braves to dig the stadium deeper so that restaurants can have both walk-up access from the mixed-use and a deck that juts into the crowd and overlooks the field during games.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:23 AM

22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Great post, Net.

One other benefit of building the stadium deeper is for restauranteurs who want to have the Wrigley type effect in their stadium restaurants. I know one in particular who has lobbied the Braves to dig the stadium deeper so that restaurants can have both walk-up access from the mixed-use and a deck that juts into the crowd and overlooks the field during games.
Wrigley grew organically, this is a faux entertainment area. Built from scratch, not in an existing neighborhood.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Wrigley grew organically, this is a faux entertainment area. Built from scratch, not in an existing neighborhood.
Gotta give you one thing, Holt . . . you are consistent if nothing else.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:25 PM

9,918 posts, read 6,909,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Gotta give you one thing, Holt . . . you are consistent if nothing else.
Aren't you on the "Cobb Stadium is 100% sunshine and unicorns" bandwagon? Not sure you can talk.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Aren't you on the "Cobb Stadium is 100% sunshine and unicorns" bandwagon? Not sure you can talk.
Yeah, all 3 of us on this board . . . not much of a bandwagon.

I do support the Braves move from a strategic business standpoint. But no, I don't think it's 100% sunshine and unicorns . . . as you suggest. Nothing of this size and scope ever is.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:35 AM

28,148 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Nobody likes a snitch.
What's the difference between a snitch and a whistle blower?

I haven't been following this particular dispute but many times having the guts to speak up is an act of great courage.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:38 AM

985 posts, read 1,431,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's the difference between a snitch and a whistle blower?

I haven't been following this particular dispute but many times having the guts to speak up is an act of great courage.
The difference is part culture and semantics, but both are frowned upon unwarrantedly. In this case, it's not warranted because it was merely a case of the pot meeting the kettle.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:50 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,295,548 times
Kind of off-topic, but I personally think whistle-blowers are brave and commendable. They keep businesses and government honest and large organizations should always fear someone whistle-blowing just to keep things from ever getting out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or