U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:40 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,309,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
The site is literally one minute outside of Atlanta. The way some people talk you'd think this is the Thrashers all over again. I think it has a lot to do with how people view Cobb. I have a feeling the reaction would be a lot less hostile if they were moving to somewhere like Decatur or Brookhaven.
I fully agree with this and I live in CoA. I know around here those people love Decatur, but they aren't big fans of Brookhaven. They say how great CoD schools are, but are against Northern DeKalb forming separate systems because it is "racist." It is all political just like everything else in life.

As I said earlier in this thread:

White+Republican=Bad(Cobb County)
White+Democrat=Good(City of Decatur)

Just an observation.

http://www.city-data.com/county/Cobb_County-GA.html

http://www.decaturga.com/index.aspx?page=89

Even though City of Decatur is (much) more white.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:51 PM

858 posts, read 1,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You can't just say "if it wasn't Cobb" you really have to say where.
I said Brookhaven or Decatur.

Quote:
A lot of the anger is coming from the traffic situation and that this will have region-wide consequences. Frankly, I'd expect similar comments if the move was to the Doraville GM site with no expansion in transit, though the traffic in that area isn't quite as bad as the Cobb site. If the site were instead, say, Stonecrest, I wouldn't expect quite the same given that the traffic isn't nearly as bad. Likewise for a South Fulton site (Palmetto, Union City, etc.) or Clayton site. But the fact is Cobb placed this in the single-worst place possible for the region and is basically telling the region that it doesn't care. So they're socialized the problems and privatized the benefits essentially. (private isn't 100% correct since this is government of course, but you get the idea)
I'm not diving back into this 100+ page round robin again so I'm just going to repeat this one more time and then I'm out: I'm not talking about transit. I'm talking about loyalty, city pride, etc. I'm talking about the people who are saying the Braves are betraying them and turning their backs on Atlanta. I think that sentiment has more to do with hatred of Cobb than the fact that Cumberland isn't technically Atlanta.

Edit: Just so you know, I'm not being defensive here... I'm just observing. I couldn't care less about baseball and I live in Atlanta so it's not like I get offended when people s**t all over Cobb.

Last edited by erick295; 06-13-2014 at 11:00 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 11:38 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,296,890 times
Quote:
The site is literally one minute outside of Atlanta.
If even one minute, Could be more like 25 seconds in normal traffic I've never timed it. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That's not a 1 minute drive in game day traffic.
Please provide the traffic simulation to back that up. Cobb and GDOT actually has the ability to run traffic simulations. They have one of the Windy Hill DD interchange available online (normal traffic)

Quote:
You can't just say "if it wasn't Cobb" you really have to say where. A lot of the anger is coming from the traffic situation and that this will have region-wide consequences.
We've already been through this and someone on the board ran the numbers. We found that for a vast majority of people, traffic would actually be better to the new site. For North Fulton, I think it ended up being a 5 minute time savings. For Gwinnett, it was about the same. The only people that have a longer commute are the small population (relatively speaking) who live East of the connector and of course they are the ones that are the most upset (aside from a few anti-tax people in Cobb)

Old 06-13-2014, 11:54 PM

4,909 posts, read 3,715,053 times
Quote:
I said Brookhaven or Decatur.
All I meant by that was that we can't draw solid conclusions without having a specific area to work with. You did indeed provide those two and I didn't mean to imply you did not.
Quote:
I'm not diving back into this 100+ page round robin again so I'm just going to repeat this one more time and then I'm out: I'm not talking about transit. I'm talking about loyalty, city pride, etc. I'm talking about the people who are saying the Braves are betraying them and turning their backs on Atlanta. I think that sentiment has more to do with hatred of Cobb than the fact that Cumberland isn't technically Atlanta.
*SNIP*
Except that's not what most of the complaints are. Sure, there will be some of that just as if they moved to Decatur or Brookhaven or Gwinnett or Stonecrest. But those are far overshadowed by the far more legitimate concerns of traffic, not even strictly transit. Heck, putting it in Rockdale would have generated less complaints simply due to the lesser traffic situation and Rockdale is even more anti-transit anti-Atlanta than Cobb is!

Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,296,890 times
Quote:
Heck, putting it in Rockdale would have generated less complaints simply due to the lesser traffic situation and Rockdale is even more anti-transit anti-Atlanta than Cobb is!
Rockdale would be a farther trek for most people in Metro Atlanta, so this is clearly about people from East Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or