Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times

Advertisements

Good God almighty...Whistle Blowers? That was no attack. Telling someone they are on a Cobb bandwagon should not be offensive in any way.

If the mod is going to censor that sort of talk count me out of this forum. I doubt Mr Greg would stoop to that sort of censorship.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:08 PM

559 posts, read 832,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
It is quite relevant to acknowledge that there are people on both sides that seem unable to recognize any points counter to what their entrenched views are.
Yes, precisely my point in the original post to Holt. If anything, I was trying to break the tension on this topic with a little humor, but also cut through the facade that any of us are impartial on this Braves issue.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Now, any actual updates on this?
Yes, there is a ton of info flying around. I've worked by the new Braves area for nearly 20 years and I've never seen as much movement/action. Much of it may just be possibilities and/or speculation at this point, but it's fun and exciting to hear if you are a pro-growth, pro-business type.

If you're not pro-business, or if you have an automatic "Cobb is bad" mindset, then you will go negative and shoot down the information regardless of its content.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:32 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
I don't think that most people have a "Cobb is bad" mindset, but simply want the Braves in a central, prominent location. It doesn't seem to be too much to ask for the Atlanta Braves to play within the city of Atlanta.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I don't think that most people have a "Cobb is bad" mindset, but simply want the Braves in a central, prominent location. It doesn't seem to be too much to ask for the Atlanta Braves to play within the city of Atlanta.
Joe, that's a reasonable and understandable viewpoint.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:22 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The site is literally one minute outside of Atlanta. The way some people talk you'd think this is the Thrashers all over again. I think it has a lot to do with how people view Cobb. I have a feeling the reaction would be a lot less hostile if they were moving to somewhere like Decatur or Brookhaven.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:34 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
The site is literally one minute outside of Atlanta. The way some people talk you'd think this is the Thrashers all over again. I think it has a lot to do with how people view Cobb. I have a feeling the reaction would be a lot less hostile if they were moving to somewhere like Decatur or Brookhaven.
Both of those places have MARTA stops, so I'm sure there would be less hostility. I'm not driving to a game, parking, take a shuttle to the stadium, watch the game, take a shuttle back to my car and drive home. That's not a 1 minute drive. This is regardless of traffic.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:01 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Both of those places have MARTA stops, so I'm sure there would be less hostility. I'm not driving to a game, parking, take a shuttle to the stadium, watch the game, take a shuttle back to my car and drive home. That's not a 1 minute drive. This is regardless of traffic.
I'm not talking about transit. I'm saying I don't think the anger about the Braves betraying Atlanta would be as prevalent if the new location wasn't Cobb.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
That's not a 1 minute drive in game day traffic.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about transit. I'm saying I don't think the anger about the Braves betraying Atlanta would be as prevalent if the new location wasn't Cobb.
You can't just say "if it wasn't Cobb" you really have to say where. A lot of the anger is coming from the traffic situation and that this will have region-wide consequences. Frankly, I'd expect similar comments if the move was to the Doraville GM site with no expansion in transit, though the traffic in that area isn't quite as bad as the Cobb site. If the site were instead, say, Stonecrest, I wouldn't expect quite the same given that the traffic isn't nearly as bad. Likewise for a South Fulton site (Palmetto, Union City, etc.) or Clayton site. But the fact is Cobb placed this in the single-worst place possible for the region and is basically telling the region that it doesn't care. So they're socialized the problems and privatized the benefits essentially. (private isn't 100% correct since this is government of course, but you get the idea)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta