U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 05:26 PM

4 posts, read 4,374 times

Advertisements

I understand that there is currently no funding for the next phase and that the current section wont be complete until next year, but it got me thinking about what they are going to do when (or if) they try to expand it.

By looking at their website, it looks like they really want it to run down Peachtree street parallel to the MARTA train. see this video:
TheFinalPiece - YouTube.

I really don't see the point of laying two trains on top of each other. I might be marginally easier to take a streetcar a short distance in midtown than the Marta, but that area is already walkable if you are going a short distance. It just seems like a huge waste of money.

Why not build a line that compliments the MARTA train instead of being redundant? Have it continue down Auburn Ave until it hits the beltline then go north. Turn west at 10th street and pass right by the midtown marta station. Keep going west until it hits tech parkway then go south and connect to downtown. I see this as better for 4 reasons:

1. That way it will serve Tech and GSU students who are more likely to use transit anyways. If this thing is going to succeed, it needs people to ride it. Students are probably the easiest way to make this happen. Not to mention that GSU and Tech would save money by not having to bus as many students around.

2. It would bring tourists from downtown to the new Ponce City Market and neighborhoods such as Inman park. It would make Atlanta more appealing for conventions if it is easier to get around without a car.

3. It would connect intown neighborhoods to the city core.

4. I would help spur more development in West Midtown, because that area is hard to get around without a car.

Last edited by JR_Boone; 11-27-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 05:57 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,912,074 times
That video sounds like it's from the 80s. I just can't take it seriously, but I agree with all of your points.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:58 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,894,329 times
I would like to see a line on Peachtree, but not coming from Five Points but instead starting at Midtown or Arts Center and go up Peachtree to Buckhead Station.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:40 PM

5,237 posts, read 3,995,951 times
What about a route up Piedmont to Lindbergh? I've sketched an idea on my unofficial map of the streetcar project in purple.
http://goo.gl/maps/aE88o

Old 11-27-2013, 07:01 PM

13,444 posts, read 21,908,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I would like to see a line on Peachtree, but not coming from Five Points but instead starting at Midtown or Arts Center and go up Peachtree to Buckhead Station.

Yes. This part of Peachtree would really benefit.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:07 PM

4 posts, read 4,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What about a route up Piedmont to Lindbergh? I've sketched an idea on my unofficial map of the streetcar project in purple.
http://goo.gl/maps/aE88o
I don't feel like that would be good for the second phase. I don't think too many people would ride that route. The Marta train already goes to Lindbergh. Piedmont is pretty low density for most of that route. I just don't see the streetcar as a worthwhile investment unless it can get a high amount of riders. Maybe as a later phase that would be good.

edit: actually there are some apartment buildings up peachtree that way and a lot of stuff closer to piedmont park. It might not be so bad. I still don't think its the best idea though.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,125,828 times
no

Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,193,880 times
Phase two includes a cross town route, most likely down North Ave, I am not sure the Peachtree is high on the latest proposal.

http://beltline.org/wp-content/uploa...id-meeting.pdf

Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 PM

535 posts, read 711,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
That video sounds like it's from the 80s. I just can't take it seriously, but I agree with all of your points.
The music.. I can't even focus on the video haha

Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 PM

29,207 posts, read 26,141,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes. This part of Peachtree would really benefit.
Agreed, aries. That's a heavily populated corridor with tons of jobs, retail, restaurants, churches, hospitals, etc. It has been the fastest growing area in the city.

Plus the route leverages existing heavy rail. As I recall a good bit of the planning work has already been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or