U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2013, 12:28 PM
 
29,447 posts, read 26,439,587 times
Reputation: 10330

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
If I had a billion dollars, I would buy the stadium from the City and start my own football club (soccer, not American football). I don't have a billion dollars though...
Shoot, if I were the city I'd let you have it for $750 million, waronxmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2013, 12:46 PM
 
10,635 posts, read 7,563,812 times
Reputation: 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Shoot, if I were the city I'd let you have it for $750 million, waronxmas.
Sure. But downtown is a better location for a team than Turner. Here is hoping that they make the better business choice to share the dome-replacement as a MLS stadium too. (And please bring MLS to Atlanta!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 01:13 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,915 posts, read 12,200,323 times
Reputation: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Shoot, if I were the city I'd let you have it for $750 million, waronxmas.
Oh, I wouldn't pay a billion dollars for Turner Field. I would need the extra money to stack the team with the best international players.

Last edited by waronxmas; 12-03-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 PM
 
10,635 posts, read 7,563,812 times
Reputation: 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh, I wouldn't pay a billion dollars for Turner Field. I would need to extra money to stack the team with the best international players.
I support this man! Someone get him involved in the MLS negotiations and a billion dollars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 PM
 
29,447 posts, read 26,439,587 times
Reputation: 10330
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh, I wouldn't pay a billion dollars for Turner Field. I would need to extra money to stack the team with the best international players.
Would you pay $400 million?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,243 posts, read 4,656,155 times
Reputation: 2739
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Some Cobb leaders have made it clear that this stadium is designed to move cars to the area, not transit.
I may be wrong, but I think the only person that has said that was the leader of the Cobb County Republican Party. Yeah, he has some sway, but I don't think any actual officals have said otherwise.

Born 2 Roll, do you have any sort of source for the comments about Cobb business wanting upwards of three rail connections? Its interesting and some of it makes sense. Except light rail all the way up to Kennesaw. That is a long haul for light rail!

Interesting comments about there already being plans to tear down the Ted. There may be something to that. Although it does seem like an AWFUL WASTE. I guess if the team wanted to pay for it, then fine. But otherwise, there couldn't be a greater waste in public funds...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,501 posts, read 17,662,908 times
Reputation: 5445
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I may be wrong, but I think the only person that has said that was the leader of the Cobb County Republican Party. Yeah, he has some sway, but I don't think any actual officals have said otherwise.

Born 2 Roll, do you have any sort of source for the comments about Cobb business wanting upwards of three rail connections? Its interesting and some of it makes sense. Except light rail all the way up to Kennesaw. That is a long haul for light rail!

Interesting comments about there already being plans to tear down the Ted. There may be something to that. Although it does seem like an AWFUL WASTE. I guess if the team wanted to pay for it, then fine. But otherwise, there couldn't be a greater waste in public funds...
Well that's why I said some, and not all. I couldn't remember who exactly, all I knew is that is was an old white guy. That narrows it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,243 posts, read 4,656,155 times
Reputation: 2739
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Well that's why I said some, and not all. I couldn't remember who exactly, all I knew is that is was an old white guy. That narrows it down.


Well, I could see a real struggle occurring between business leaders and traditional conservative Cobb Countians. If rail transit were to ever happen in Cobb, my bet is that it will be very business centric. Purposefully designed not to be for people without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 01:44 PM
 
10,635 posts, read 7,563,812 times
Reputation: 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Although it does seem like an AWFUL WASTE. I guess if the team wanted to pay for it, then fine. But otherwise, there couldn't be a greater waste in public funds...
If you are suggesting that is wasteful for the city to tear-down the stadium: Is it more wasteful to spend millions of tax dollars every year to keep up an under-used stadium (Let alone the $150m - $200m in renovations the Braves claim it needed to keep it useful), or tear it down and make way for a new private development that brings in ~$50m a year in taxes and creates thousands of jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,243 posts, read 4,656,155 times
Reputation: 2739
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
If you are suggesting that is wasteful for the city to tear-down the stadium: Is it more wasteful to spend millions of tax dollars every year to keep up an under-used stadium (Let alone the $150m - $200m in renovations the Braves claim it needed to keep it useful), or tear it down and make way for a new private development that brings in ~$50m a year in taxes and creates thousands of jobs?
I was referring to tearing it down and building a new one over by Centennial Park.

If it is guaranteed to be vacant, then go ahead and tear it down. Hopefully there is a way to share the costs with a developer too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top