U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2013, 07:46 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,696,223 times
Reputation: 903

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So strange how you're always so anti-tax, but you happily welcome the Braves who will increase your taxes for several years. Are you really conservative???
I'm just asking the questions. I'm not inputting my political beliefs into any of this. I'm able to look at this objectively and in doing so it just doesn't make an ounce of sense for the COA to put their eggs in the Falcons basket at the cost of losing the Braves.

I'm not sure where I mentioned any personal pro/anti tax stance in this thread. Perhaps you are trying to read something into this thread that just isn't there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,696,223 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
I might be inclined to say the reverse. I definitely see your point; when done correctly (like Camden Yards in Baltimore) a baseball stadium can dramatically increase foot traffic in a downtown area. I can't say I have any hard numbers on the benefits to ancillary businesses though.

However, does anyone think that the Braves organization is betting a bit TOO HARD on the Atlanta suburbs? What is the rationale behind relocating the AAA affiliate to Gwinnett then Cobb ponying up to have the MLB franchise less than a decade later? Does anyone in Cobb see the experience in Gwinnett as cautionary? Here are the final 2013 minor league affiliate numbers for the US:

2013 Affiliated Attendance by Average | News

In looking at its relative company on the list, Gwinnett should be way higher than 55th to be regarded as a successful venture. Cobb County has over 100,000 less people than Gwinnett. Is the word "Atlanta" tacked on the MLB franchise going to produce that much of a greater suburban baseball experience than what could be had in any county? I would be really nervous about the $300 million tax dollars if I was a Cobb resident. The $400 million privately-funded mixed-use development that is supposed to justify the whole endeavor seems spurious at best.
I think that analysis is seriously flawed. Building a AAA franchise 30 miles away from their major league club was a recipe for failure. Comparing AAA to Major League is not an apples to apples comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Home of the Braves
1,164 posts, read 967,658 times
Reputation: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I'm able to look at this objectively and in doing so it just doesn't make an ounce of sense for the COA to put their eggs in the Falcons basket at the cost of losing the Braves.
You haven't explained your assumption that these were mutually exclusive baskets. Until you do that, it just looks as though you're taking a shot at a politician you don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM
 
1,637 posts, read 2,137,145 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Care to expand on that thought?

Apparently it is okay for KReed to play Santa Clause to the Falcons and a new stadium that won't have much of an impact outside of 10-13 days a year. Why would he not instead focus on a team that CAN have an impact on redevelopment instead.

Seems to me he pushed his chips on the Falcons when he should've bet on the Braves.
Watch this video and you will see why I said what I said.

RAW VIDEO: Mayor Reed talks about Braves move to Cobb County | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,696,223 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
You haven't explained your assumption that these were mutually exclusive baskets. Until you do that, it just looks as though you're taking a shot at a politician you don't like.
Why would they not be mutually exclusive?

If there is a finite sum ($200+ million) in taxes can be funneled from the hotel tax to the Falcons stadium, why could that not have been funneled to the Braves to move to that South site?

There was a $200 million bucket to hand out and the mayor championed giving it to the Falcons. I don't think anything I'm saying is controversial and it is shocking that this hasn't been discussed previously. Instead, the focus on this board has been to bash Cobb County. Personally, I'd like a better explanation from the mayor as to why he clearly wanted the Falcons stadium (which is evident by his stadium campaigning) while ignoring the Braves and their larger economic impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 07:55 PM
 
2,683 posts, read 5,213,023 times
Reputation: 940
Its done elsewhere, that alone is not a recipe for failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I think that analysis is seriously flawed. Building a AAA franchise 30 miles away from their major league club was a recipe for failure. Comparing AAA to Major League is not an apples to apples comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 08:00 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,696,223 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Its done elsewhere, that alone is not a recipe for failure.
Where else is this done? Perhaps there are AAA affiliates 30 miles from their parent club (ie DIRECT COMPETITION), but I'm not aware of any.

Which am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Home of the Braves
1,164 posts, read 967,658 times
Reputation: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Why would they not be mutually exclusive?
Because they clearly aren't mutually exclusive? Cities across the county are able to invest simultaneously in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, etc. Why would you think it was mutually exclusive, and assume it was presented to the city of Atlanta that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,696,223 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Because they clearly aren't mutually exclusive? Cities across the county are able to invest simultaneously in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, etc. Why would you think it was mutually exclusive, and assume it was presented to the city of Atlanta that way?
Because there is a finite sum of money from the hotel tax that could really only support construction of one facility. Sure they could try to spread that over 2 stadiums, but that would not have worked for either franchise.

Sure they aren't mutually exclusive if COA raises taxes to cover it, but I'm working off the KReed's words that the COA wants to be fiscally conservative (ie not raising taxes).

Understand now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 PM
 
1,021 posts, read 1,922,980 times
Reputation: 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I think that analysis is seriously flawed. Building a AAA franchise 30 miles away from their major league club was a recipe for failure. Comparing AAA to Major League is not an apples to apples comparison.
I call it like I see it. My analysis (which you seem to agree with) is that the Braves organization does not make the best locational decisions. Feel free to read the article about the accompanying development again if you haven't read it already:

Atlanta Braves plan $400 million entertainment district... | www.ajc.com

Sounds like another Cumberland Mall or Perimeter Center is going to be tacked on to a suburban stadium. No one has done it before because it doesn't sound like a good idea. The district around Turner Field was never revitalized because it wasn't designed to revitalize. The old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium was designed to pave over a ghetto then 25 years or so later the Olympic Stadium (Turner Field) was built in its parking lot.

I like the previously mentioned idea of tearing down the Georgia Dome and putting a new Braves stadium in its place. No matter what time of year, the adjoining district would have foot traffic due to the location of three stadia. How many residences are going to be built in the $400 million entertainment district? Who is going to stay in the hotels when it is not baseball season? Who is going to go out of their way to go to this mall when it is five years old? Ten years old? How are people going to get there? Some developer is going to spend $400 million but you have to say at the end of the article “Stay tuned for more good things on transit, traffic and parking”?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top