Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:06 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,969,424 times

Advertisements

The poster is correct who said that the precise location is key--as in you want to be on the end of the neighborhood that is nearest the shops and restaurants. I would definitely include town homes in your search. In our neighborhood (south Buckhead), the ends of the streets nearest to the retail areas have upscale town homes with small private courtyards and garages. The SFHs are further down into the neighborhood. Because Atlanta is hilly/curvy and walkability is at a premium, you'll want to capture these types of town homes in your search.

Many single family homes are technically walkable to things, but if that two-block walk is straight up a hill around a blind turn--you won't be taking advantage of it much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,572,943 times
I'd check out Peachtree Park and Garden Hills. The latter can pricey, though.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:39 PM

65 posts, read 130,559 times
bizchick, in Chicago alone: Wicker Park, Bucktown, Ukrainian Village, Logan Square, Andersonville, some of Old Town, etc. Pretty easy.

Again really helpful info that continues to pour in--can't tell you how much I appreciate that!

We looked at a home in Edgewood today (among a dozen others) that was one block east of the retail district and about a block south of Dekalb? Any thoughts on this neighborhood? We would clearly be giving up a bit of walkability, though Little Five Points is one mile away, and there is the retail district there.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM

10,347 posts, read 11,357,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeddd View Post
bizchick, in Chicago alone: Wicker Park, Bucktown, Ukrainian Village, Logan Square, Andersonville, some of Old Town, etc. Pretty easy.

Again really helpful info that continues to pour in--can't tell you how much I appreciate that!

We looked at a home in Edgewood today (among a dozen others) that was one block east of the retail district and about a block south of Dekalb? Any thoughts on this neighborhood? We would clearly be giving up a bit of walkability, though Little Five Points is one mile away, and there is the retail district there.
Though Edgewood does not necessarily have the traditional mixed-use urban village vibe that you seem to be looking for (where most detached single-family homes are in very-close walking distance to neighborhood retail and shops) Edgewood is another Intown neighborhood that is on the rise over the long-term.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,817,247 times
Quote:

Depends on what you want to be able to walk to. Predictably, the Edgewood Retail District is primarily made up of large national retail chains and franchised fast casual dining. Your first post mentioned wanting to be close to bars and restaurants, which you'd probably be quickly tired of at the Edgewood Retail District. Areas like Virginia Highlands, Downtown Decatur, Inman Park, EAV, Little 5 Points, etc are going to have a higher concentration of smaller independent establishments and better nightlife, but lack some of the everyday conveniences afforded by having a Target, BB&B, Staples, Lowe's, and Best Buy across the street.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:33 PM

Thanks. Yes, I'd prefer the neighborhood places, but the difference between houses we loved equally in Edgewood v. Virginia Highland today was $270K. Just have to figure out how much I value the neighborhood places.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:43 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,817,247 times
Quote:
Thanks. Yes, I'd prefer the neighborhood places, but the difference between houses we loved equally in Edgewood v. Virginia Highland today was $270K. Just have to figure out how much I value the neighborhood places.
Presumably you'll be doing at least some of this walking after sunset. Visit both areas at night. Demographics between the two areas are substantially different. A $400k house in the Highlands is a fixer, and a $400k house in Edgewood is likely the nicest on the block. Part of that difference comes from the schools each area feed to, which may not be a concern for you, but obviously plays a huge role in resale.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Excellent advice, red. We will. Good point on the schools, too.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:09 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
I live in nearby Kirkwood, walk to ERD and L5P frequent. Edgewood is on the rise, but it does not have a central business district like Kirkwood, L5P, Virginia-Highland, etc. I may suggest looking in Kirkwood, only because they downtown business district is booming. 2 new bars, 1 coffee/craft beer store, 1 wine store are opening in the next 6 months. The western part of Kirkwood is walkable to ERD and L5P. Both neighborhoods are served by MARTA rail and bus. Kirkwood's schools are on the rise and the elementary is being targeted for k-8 program.
This is just my suggestion based on your desires.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,969,424 times
What about the Oakhurst area of Decatur? I know that puts you farther from where you are now in midtown, but the little retail area there is so cool. Seems like a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta