Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:14 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I would have to see exactly what areas they are proposing. My impression from the statements was that they were considering a larger area to annex than they previously have. But I would not be in favor of them grabbing just commercial area.
They tried to grab the commercial areas at Clairmont and N. Decatur, but that failed. I think they'll try to take Suburban Plaza next, and possibly stretch their footprint down E. Ponce towards the Farmers Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 AM

207 posts, read 322,031 times
This map indicates a larger area than previously proposed is under consideration for annexation:

Old 12-31-2013, 08:59 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Ignorant and selfish. The gateway to their city is their border, but they think it's some arbitrary place outside their border. If they annex, then by their reasoning the gateway will move once again to some other arbitrary place. Where does it end?
It sounds like Decatur is suddenly interested because they're finally got some competition.

If Decatur had wanted to try annex these areas they've had about 150 years to do so.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:06 AM

668 posts, read 994,294 times
Quote:
Ignorant and selfish. The gateway to their city is their border, but they think it's some arbitrary place outside their border. If they annex, then by their reasoning the gateway will move once again to some other arbitrary place. Where does it end?
Iwould classify it as self-interest, not selfishness. They do need to plan for 25, 50, 100 yearsdown the road and the cityhood movements are forcing them to act now longbefore they may be ready for itHis comments on the immediate stressors on thecurrent city’s infrastructure (including schools) implies they are looking atmore than just existing desirable commercial properties. I would hope that the cityhood organizerswere expecting that their fight wouldn’t just be amongst the various proposals,but with the established cities surrounding the areas in question, as well.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:17 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Iwould classify it as self-interest, not selfishness. They do need to plan for 25, 50, 100 yearsdown the road and the cityhood movements are forcing them to act now longbefore they may be ready for itHis comments on the immediate stressors on thecurrent city’s infrastructure (including schools) implies they are looking atmore than just existing desirable commercial properties. I would hope that the cityhood organizerswere expecting that their fight wouldn’t just be amongst the various proposals,but with the established cities surrounding the areas in question, as well.
I call it selfish because grabbing these properties could very well make it impossible financially for bordering areas to incorporate. So, Decatur gets more whole others potentially get nothing. How is that not selfish?

PS: would you mid changing your font size? Your post is difficult to read with the tiny font.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:26 AM

668 posts, read 994,294 times
Quote:
I call it selfish because grabbing these properties could very well make it impossible financially for bordering areas to incorporate. So, Decatur gets more whole others potentially get nothing. How is that not selfish?

PS: would you mid changing your font size? Your post is difficult to read with the tiny font.
But that is true of all parties involved, is it not? Why is it more selfish for Decatur and not one of the other proposals?

P.S. - Yeah, cutting and pasting from a Word document apparently messes up both the font and spacing and doesn't show up until you hit submit.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:26 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Cities aren't in the business of being charitable with local tax digests. I don't see a problem here if local property owners are cool with it, though I'm not sure if that's the case here. If it were me though, I'd rather be annexed into an existing, established city (especially if it's Decatur) than into an unproven new city like Lakeside.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
But that is true of all parties involved, is it not? Why is it more selfish for Decatur and not one of the other proposals?
True*, but you have to understand that Decatur's annexation efforts for some of these areas failed last year and were shelved. Decatur only has an interest in these areas now that other incorporation efforts have emerged and some of the proposed new cities want to draw these areas into their borders. They're behaving like a child who has no interest in a particular toy until their friend wants to play with it.

*Actually, it's not exactly the same. Decatur has long been a thriving city and has gotten along just fine without these commercial areas. That can't be said for any of the proposed cities. Nothing Lakeside, Briarcliff, or Tucker do will prevent Decatur from incorporating and succeeding, because they've already done that and there's no reason to think they will stop succeeding. On the other hand, there is good reason to believe the unincorporated areas will continue to stagnate if left either in their current state or in a state of weakened revenues as a result of Decatur annexation.

Last edited by JPD; 12-31-2013 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 09:53 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Cities aren't in the business of being charitable with local tax digests. I don't see a problem here if local property owners are cool with it, though I'm not sure if that's the case here. If it were me though, I'd rather be annexed into an existing, established city (especially if it's Decatur) than into an unproven new city like Lakeside.
Decatur might want to look into building a moat if they take this course.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:40 AM

125 posts, read 232,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Tucker should get Northlake Mall.

And Lakeside? Give it up. It's the one causing all the "overlapping" problems.

More...

https://www.google.com.br/search?q=T...UpIDgCA#imgdii=_
ITA. Northlake should be Tucker's. What is the point of the cityhood movement, though? Aren't the residents going to pay both city and county taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta