Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,086 times

Advertisements

Do people always ask you when you go home "How do you like Atlanta?" It seems like everybody in south Ga ask me the same question each time I go home to visit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Do people always ask you when you go home "How do you like Atlanta?" It seems like everybody in south Ga ask me the same question each time I go home to visit
They absolutely do. Often times, that question is followed by the exclamation, "I don't know how you can stand it there!" (or something along those lines). I think that there are occasional racial undertones to the question and statement, but I think, too, it is fear of a fast-passed life, traffic, big metro governments, political and religious bents, etc.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:00 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I think it's more so an urban vs rural thing. Unfortunately, Georgia doesn't have a midsized metro that could serve as more of an intermediary between the very large Atlanta and the other much smaller metros and rural areas--something about the size of Birmingham or Charlotte.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:03 AM

I also get questions about all of the "yankees" in Atlanta. There can be some interesting conversations! But, then again, plenty of the rural denizens appreciate Atlanta and understand its critical importance to the region.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:08 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Being from Savannah, my parents (especially my mother) ALWAYS say "I could never tolerate the traffic, I don't know how you do it."

A positive counter is that there are many big city amenities that smaller Savannah does not have.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:24 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
They absolutely do. Often times, that question is followed by the exclamation, "I don't know how you can stand it there!" (or something along those lines). I think that there are occasional racial undertones to the question and statement, but I think, too, it is fear of a fast-passed life, traffic, big metro governments, political and religious bents, etc.
I'm not from South Georgia, but I travel around the state a lot for work, and meet a large number of people from some of the most rural counties in the state. Whenever I visit the small towns, it's obvious I'm not from there, and people ask where I am from. When I say I'm from Atlanta, I ALWAYS get responses similar to what you've heard. I've gotten, "Oh my God, I don't know how anybody lives there", to a simple " I HATE Atlanta". I defend Atlanta, and try not to retort back with "and I don't know how you can live HERE!" :-)

I've noticed, at least in my experience, that people in southwest Georgia seem to come here more for concerts and the like, while people from areas between Valdosta and Brunswick (the swamps) tend to be more on the extreme end of avoiding it like the plague. But, they are also 4 hours away and in the most rural part of the state, so it's understandable - their lifestyle is VERY different. I always do love visiting those small towns though - I'm originally from a small town and it's nice to get out of the city every now and then.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I'm not from South Georgia, but I travel around the state a lot for work, and meet a large number of people from some of the most rural counties in the state. Whenever I visit the small towns, it's obvious I'm not from there, and people ask where I am from. When I say I'm from Atlanta, I ALWAYS get responses similar to what you've heard. I've gotten, "Oh my God, I don't know how anybody lives there", to a simple " I HATE Atlanta". I defend Atlanta, and try not to retort back with "and I don't know how you can live HERE!" :-)

I've noticed, at least in my experience, that people in southwest Georgia seem to come here more for concerts and the like, while people from areas between Valdosta and Brunswick (the swamps) tend to be more on the extreme end of avoiding it like the plague. But, they are also 4 hours away and in the most rural part of the state, so it's understandable - their lifestyle is VERY different. I always do love visiting those small towns though - I'm originally from a small town and it's nice to get out of the city every now and then.
I agree with you, CCATL. I wish our rural cousins loved Atlanta as much as this Atlantan loves rural Georgia.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:32 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
I wish I had a dollar for every refugee from a Pentecostal family in rural Georgia that I met. I'd be a millionaire.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:51 PM

They seem shocked when I say I love it here

Old 12-09-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post

Same here, same here . I want to say it so bad. If I said it I would be the bad guy smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta