Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 04:35 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,218 times

Advertisements

snsh5713, this is definitely a stressful process, no doubt. The good thing is with a fourth grader, you and the schools have more to go on in terms of what type of student (and person) she is and what kind of school will help her develop her character and gifts to the fullest. Bad news is there are not a ton of spots, but just apply to a lot of places. I bet you know happy, successful adults who went to all kinds of high schools, right?

I will be going through the process again in a few years with two children--my daughter will be in upper elementary when she applies again...so I will be right with you! And although I'll apply her to the school she went to in pre-first, I am also getting really excited about some of the lesser known schools around town and am just really listening to who she is...

Those most selective schools can be very stressful. I recently talked to a young man (recent grad) who went to one of these schools. He was an ok student-- but his real passion as a teenager was golf. He did not make the team until his senior year. He expressed a certain ambivalence--appreciated the education he had gotten but wondered if it would have been more fulfilling to get to be on the team for four years at a smaller school. . .

I know that is just an anecdote, but I'm just saying the most selective school does not always equate to the happiest place for your child. . .Sometimes *not getting in* to the top one or two schools is the best thing that could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 04:47 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snsh5713 View Post
When I saw her JATP report, I was kind of dismayed to see the one "above average" among the other "very superiors". This entire admissions process has got me very stressed.
Wow, I wouldn't know how to deal with that.

Having a child that gifted must be both a challenge and a delight every day.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:30 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,616 times
Hello AtlJan,

Thank you for this insight. You are right that parents really should not worry. It is nice to consider that admissions personnel know their school and the type of children that will work well in the environment and you are right that the instinct that they have should probably be trusted. I do believe that all things happen for a reason and that everything is in divine order. I also agree with your insights about the stresses at some school. I remember enjoying school and don't ever remember being stressed K-12. I often wonder if those days of just going to school, spending time with friends afterward (or maybe talking the night away on the telephone) and maybe working a part-time job in high school are gone with the wind....

I actually felt a dislike for the notion of a JATP at pre-k level. It felt too competitive and I don't believe that children at that age should compete. I was glad to know that there are schools that don't require the JATP (e.g., Woodward and Paidiea (sp?) and AIS). One less headache is always good. Hopefully, we'll end up with a set of schools that miraculously don't require the JATP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
LovelySummer, There are definitely those with more knowledge than I on the JATP. At the time my daughter took it (fall 2011) it was basically the wppsi 3 IQ test with a few added things, clerical speed I believe. For little children, the test involves asking them questions, having them do block puzzles, match pictures etc. So yes, there are ways to test verbal reasoning, spatial awareness etc in 4 1/2 year olds.

She has dyslexia--basically it takes her longer to associate a letter to the corresponding sound. And, no, it doesn't show up on an IQ test (that isn't paper based)--it is unrelated to IQ. And most moms of dyslexics will tell you it is part of their brilliance :-) and builds their grit.

Please do not worry about the JATP. It is a one hour test--that doesn't even really feel like a test to the child. Worst case scenario, kid does terrible. So he goes to a wonderful, but less intense, kindergarten? I kind of think that is a win-win! When he gets to fourth grade or fifth grade, and needs more of a challenge, you can reapply. . .but really, most of these schools have room for kids to push themselves and excel all they need to.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:32 AM

126 posts, read 287,806 times
ATLJan....I'm curious. Which are some of the lesser known schools that have got you excited and you are planning to look at for your children later. I know Mt Vernon Presbyterian has caught my eye but their high school and college admissions process does not seem very developed yet.

arjay57...the problem is that I don't really know what the JATP means and so, I am not able to interpret that these scores mean my child is gifted. To me, when I look at both my kids, they are just regular kids but we've done a lot of additional supplemental work with them at home...focused reading on good books, science, math. It hasn't been an effort to do this because I love learning new things right alongside with them.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:50 AM

126 posts, read 287,806 times
On another note (and I don't mean to hijack this thread. It's just that some of the posts seem so well informed and helpful so I thought I'd ask another question on my mind).

All the schools ask for a transcript, which includes previous report cards. My child has received stellar report cards. But this semester (and of course, it just has to be the most recent, most important report card) she received a comment from a math teacher to the effect of "being talkative, will work on focusing"...something to that effect.

The background of this is...my 4th grader is presently doing 6th grade math. Since there was no one to teach just her and two others, the school pulled this assistant teacher to do so. My feeling is that though she gets this teacher gets the job done, she is not a qualified math teacher. My child has often said that she is bored and I think that this may be reflecting in the talkative behavior.

To cut a long story short, do the schools look at the comments on the report cards and view this as a huge negative. (I understand the underlying factors at play but they don't and may view this child as having a disruptive influence on class if selected). The same teacher has also given a very good Math reference for her. But how much importance is going to be given to this type of comment on a report card.

I know I'm beginning to sound obsessive at this point but please bear with me folks.....a lot of this admissions process is stressful, and I'm trying to understand the finer nuances to the whole picture

Old 12-21-2013, 05:13 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
I don't think those comments will hurt. I think the schools look at the big picture. I am sure, though, that you know that there aren't normally many (any?) spaces at the grade you are trying to enter. Especially at the tippy top schools. Do any do grade expansion in 5th grade?

I point this out to you to make sure you understand that if she/he isn't accepted anywhere it probably is as much about space as anything else. And even if there are spaces, these schools gets lots of qualified applicants - most of whom are so similar.

I think I have said this to you in a post before -- it is important for you not to just do private for private's sake. Not all private schools, for example, are equipped to handle a child who is doing math two years ahead. You are applying a grade level which may very well limit the options you have at acceptance time as opposed to the next year when most schools do grade expansion.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:55 AM

550 posts, read 989,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I don't think those comments will hurt. I think the schools look at the big picture. I am sure, though, that you know that there aren't normally many (any?) spaces at the grade you are trying to enter. Especially at the tippy top schools. Do any do grade expansion in 5th grade?

I point this out to you to make sure you understand that if she/he isn't accepted anywhere it probably is as much about space as anything else. And even if there are spaces, these schools gets lots of qualified applicants - most of whom are so similar.

I think I have said this to you in a post before -- it is important for you not to just do private for private's sake. Not all private schools, for example, are equipped to handle a child who is doing math two years ahead. You are applying a grade level which may very well limit the options you have at acceptance time as opposed to the next year when most schools do grade expansion.
In fact I know many people have found public to be more accomodating, especially once you get into middle school, for a child working at that level. I would encourage you to get private testing with a tester experienced with gifted kids, (see Hoagies Gifted) and also to check out the Davidson Institute for Talent Development for resources. It is very helpful to have a clearer picture of your child's learning strengths and relative weaknesses.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:58 AM

550 posts, read 989,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snsh5713 View Post
AtlJan...I wanted to thank you for your post and encouraging words. One thing that I neglected to mention in my post that my daughter is a 4th grader and is applying for admission to the 5th grade, she is not applying for pre1st. When I saw her JATP report, I was kind of dismayed to see the one "above average" among the other "very superiors". This entire admissions process has got me very stressed.
Oh, and I don't think it is too late to sign up to have you daughter take the Explore test through Duke TIP. It is a cheap and easy way to get an indicator of what the child may be capable of with a big enough ceiling to be useful. It was very eye-opening for us and allowed us to ultimately make choices for our daughter that resulted in much better academic fit. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:37 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,218 times
snsh, I like Mount Vernon a lot too. We will also look at Whitefield, Wesleyan, and Woodward.

The first two are on my list b/c I think our child needs structure and we're Christians. I like Galloway, but don't think husband would go for it and don't think it's right for our girl, anyway.

If my daughter were a different kid, I would look at High Meadows and Intown Community School (& go public for high school or reapply for private). . .I LOVE these schools, but again, it's about her and she lives and breaths team sports--so I'm looking for a middle school with a full range of sports.

We're also not against moving so I've gone to see Darlington and... The Heritage School in Newnan is on my list to see.

For you, I know you probably don't want to switch schools twice, but if you absolutely need a new school for fifth grade, some of the schools that do not go through 12th have openings in 5th grade where other schools do not. High Meadows, Intown, St. Martins, Christ the King, Heritage Prep, and the Heiskell School go through 8th. Trinity and The Children's School go through 6th. I'm sure there are more. . .

Old 12-21-2013, 07:21 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
St. Martin's only goes through 8th and I am not sure their placements after that are necessarily what you are wanting. I really think it is very different than the rest of the schools on your list. Galloway is too. Frankly, in my experience a child (and their family) who is a good fit at Westminster may not be such a good fit at Galloway and vice versa. I like both schools very much but think they are very different.

Again, as a parent who has had children in both public and private, it is important to know why you are looking to move your child. if it is for academic fit reasons, social reasons, whatever, you need to be sure that the move you are making truly lands your child where they need to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta