U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 PM

3,274 posts, read 1,371,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
MARTA seems to be on a great tact right now. Just read over the op-ed piece in the AJC, wow.
I assume this is what you are referring to? Had to go hunt it down. Good read: MARTA’s new momentum | Atlanta Forward
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 06:27 PM

314 posts, read 350,617 times
Incredible. Just incredible. So after hamstringing Marta for decades we ensure it's continued weakness by fragmenting the hell out of our mass transit system. And in the process, we bring in a private entity that will not only have to cover its operating expenses, but will have to turn a healthy profit in the process (i.e. gouging and higher rates).

Only a matter of time until nobody rides it because the fares are too high (since we're paying operating costs + profits), and then the OTP politicians who hate any kinds of transit can point at it and say "Hey look, mass transit really DOESN'T work! More proof that cars are the only viable way to get around any city." And instead of giving Marta a shot at horizontal integration, we ensure that it stays isolated and weak forever.

Just incredible.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:55 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,320,509 times
LOL.

Even MARTA doesn't want to operate this riderless train to nowhere.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:19 PM

295 posts, read 179,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
LOL.

Even MARTA doesn't want to operate this riderless train to nowhere.
You're going to call this thing "riderless" 5 months before it even opens? Oh right...that's what you do.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:52 PM

245 posts, read 154,937 times
I trust both Reed w. CoA and Parker w. Marta. I hope they like each other and will work well together and both agree about this without any animosity to allow for any future effective partnerships. Who knows, if this "privatized" company does well it can help Marta in some way. Or if Marta does well like it has been lately maybe the ins costs would lower for them and they can take over the streetcar in the future when it makes fiscally sense.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,320,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
You're going to call this thing "riderless" 5 months before it even opens? Oh right...that's what you do.
It doesn't go anywhere. It averages like what, like 6 miles per hour? If you think this will be a viable transit solution, you are out of your mind.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:02 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,282,616 times
Quote:
It doesn't go anywhere. It averages like what, like 6 miles per hour? If you think this will be a viable transit solution, you are out of your mind.
I don't think ridership will be that great either. If the end game was just the current route, then I think it would have been an incredible waste. However, I just look at it as a catalyst to Beltline and crosstown transit.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,000,528 times
Quote:
MARTA didnt go anywhere when it first opened. Look at her now.

You gotta crawl before you can walk

Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 PM

295 posts, read 179,222 times
Quote:
I think that this depends on your personal opinion. I'm excited to be able to get on a streetcar and zip on down to Sweet Auburn market.

This will undoubtedly be used by Ga State students across their spread out campus. Edgewood has become a very successful nightlife district. Factor in the tourists, conventioneers, residents of Downtown, office workers, and direct connection to Marta's Peachtree Center... I think it will be just fine. Like others have said, this line is the beginning of something bigger. Let's just give it some time and an opportunity to do well.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:22 PM

7,406 posts, read 4,136,945 times
This will most likely be ran like the portland streetcar. The outsourced company will not raise rates.
Please take the walking tour. All these questions are answered and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: