U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 11:02 PM

7 posts, read 19,469 times

Advertisements

Hello! Glad I found this page. We have decided to move to from MN to ATL next year. I have done a lot of research, so I am not expecting anyone to do the busy work for me. Just wanted insight if I was heading in the right direction based on my critiera.

I am looking at Riverside, Bolton, Underwood Hills, Berkeley Park, Grant Park, and East Atlanta.

1. Budget
$250-350k. No more than $350k. (We also want to buy a vacation home.)

2. House/Condo/Townhome?
Prefer house, but would consider townhome. No condos.
I loooooove bungalows and older houses in general.
Absolutely need at least 3 bedrooms.
Absolutely must have at least a 1 car garage, really prefer 2.
Really prefer to have some sort of basement, doesn't have to be much or be finished, but I've lived in the south enough to know I want tornado shelter.

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
Husband is transferring to ATL. He would be driving to and from the airport 2-3 times per week.

4. Children(public school vs. private)
No children at home, but need decent schools for resale value.

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
Urban or mix, I guess. We are a married couple, wife 35, husband 53.
We want to be in an area with many bars, restaurants, shops within walking distance. (Urban type places, not strip malls)
I am not really interested in moving to Peachtree City to be with the other Delta people. I don't know much about it, but I can only envision Stepford................
It is just the 2 of us now, we want to get out and do more, without having to worry about driving. (aka we want to go out and be able to drink and walk home)

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
I don't really know much about it, but I guess not really important.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
Safe area is priority #1. Upper middle class (let's pretend there is such a thing).

Any comments or opinions are appreciated and will help me narrow down my search further (or not). :-D

Last edited by da1chifan; 12-14-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 08:01 AM

23,393 posts, read 17,568,631 times
Any neighborhoods along the east MARTA line; candler park, edgewood, kirkwood, east atlanta, grant park, cabbagetown, & lake claire. With your husband working at hjia, being close to MARTA is a huge plus.
Personally, I live in kirkwood. Its a nice nneighborhood that can offer y'all what you've listed. The downtown business district has shops, restaurants, and bars all within walking distance to most homes.
Historic Kirkwood Neighborhood Atlanta GA

Old 12-15-2013, 08:04 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,241,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da1chifan View Post
Hello! Glad I found this page. We have decided to move to from MN to ATL next year. I have done a lot of research, so I am not expecting anyone to do the busy work for me. Just wanted insight if I was heading in the right direction based on my critiera.

I am looking at Riverside, Bolton, Underwood Hills, Berkeley Park, Grant Park, and East Atlanta.

1. Budget
$250-350k. No more than $350k. (We also want to buy a vacation home.)

2. House/Condo/Townhome?
Prefer house, but would consider townhome. No condos.
I loooooove bungalows and older houses in general.
Absolutely need at least 3 bedrooms.
Absolutely must have at least a 1 car garage, really prefer 2.
Really prefer to have some sort of basement, doesn't have to be much or be finished, but I've lived in the south enough to know I want tornado shelter.

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
Husband is transferring to ATL. He would be driving to and from the airport 2-3 times per week.

4. Children(public school vs. private)
No children at home, but need decent schools for resale value.

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
Urban or mix, I guess. We are a married couple, wife 35, husband 53.
We want to be in an area with many bars, restaurants, shops within walking distance. (Urban type places, not strip malls)
I am not really interested in moving to Peachtree City to be with the other Delta people. I don't know much about it, but I can only envision Stepford................
It is just the 2 of us now, we want to get out and do more, without having to worry about driving. (aka we want to go out and be able to drink and walk home)

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
I don't really know much about it, but I guess not really important.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
Safe area is priority #1. Upper middle class (let's pretend there is such a thing).

Any comments or opinions are appreciated and will help me narrow down my search further (or not). :-D
You said you were interested in Grant Park, so I've copied and pasted this from one of my other posts and made some edits for your criteria, as I think the neighborhood is fitting for your needs:

I live in Grant Park, and it sounds to match what you are looking for perfectly. Look in the neighborhood bounded by Memorial on the north, Hill Street on the west, the railroad tracks on the south, and Cameron/Confederate on the east. You will definitely be able to find a 3/2 or 3/3 in your price range within those boundaries. The neighborhood is very diverse, and mostly educated. By diverse I mean both racially, lifestyle wise (gay/straight/family life), and SES (mostly middle-upper middle class, but there are people who have lived here forever and ever that are of different SES). The center of the neighborhood, as you can see on Google Maps, is a giant part (Grant Park, one of the largest in the city). In the park, there is a farmers market held every Sunday from March-Christmas, as well as a number of 5k's, the Summer in the Shade Festival, and other neighborhood events, so it is a great combination of peaceful and lively. The houses are what you are looking for - we are the largest historic district in Atlanta, full of Victorians, bungalows, and some shotgun houses. However, garages may pose a problem. They are around, for sure, but this is a historic district and I believe carriage houses are the requirement rather than an attached garage. The houses here were not built when cars were the main mode if transportation, and the neighborhood reflects that. However, I'm not sure why a garage is a must? Coming to Atlanta, you won't have to worry about snow much, and garages reslly just heat up in the summer, so I'm not sure it should be a requirement. Just keep that in mind. However, if it is going to be a requirement, they are around, you'll just have to look harder. Also, For any of the neighborhoods you mentioned, you will be hard pressed to find a basement - it's mostly crawl spaces. In intown Atlanta, and especially in the historic area, there really aren't many basements, even in newer builds.

The neighborhood is walkable to bars and restaurants, and has MARTA rail and/or bus access depending on where you are in the neighborhood. The bus that comes through here is the #32 and goes to Five Points where you can catch the train to the airport for work. I take it fairly often, and it is basically always on time and reliable and a number of commuters use it to go downtown in the morning. If you are in the northern part of the neighborhood, you'll have MARTA train access that goes right to the airport - better than driving and parking IMO.

Safety wise, we are comparable to the rest of intown Atlanta. Every now and then there is the rare burglary, and petty crime can be an issue (car break-ins). However, we do have our own security patrol (Grant Park Security Patrol) that has done wonders for the neighborhood. You can look up crime stats on APD Zone 6. If you have any questions about the neighborhood, feel free to send me a Private Message.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the information! I will continue my search in the areas I found and expand to the areas mentioned.

The reason for the garage is my husband has a very expensive classic car. It needs to be protected from any and all elements as well as temperature controlled.

I look forward to learning lots of things about the area on this board.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:29 AM

29,371 posts, read 26,328,600 times
I think you are right to look at Bolton and Riverside. Very up and coming areas with lots of great homes that would fit your needs.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:46 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,145,810 times
Nix the vacation home. Buy a big house in Morningside. Thank me later.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,853,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Nix the vacation home. Buy a big house in Morningside. Thank me later.
I disagree, with no kids and (I'm assuming) a husband who has some flexibility during the week, a vacation house makes a lot of sense. You could make good use of it and don't need a huge place intown. Go for it!

Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I disagree, with no kids and (I'm assuming) a husband who has some flexibility during the week, a vacation house makes a lot of sense. You could make good use of it and don't need a huge place intown. Go for it!
Correct, there are no kids at home. They would only visit occasionally and live across the country.

The vacation home makes sense for us due to flight benefits. We don't want the oversized (for us) house. We like being able to take 5 vacations a year. That is more important to us.

I appreciate all the help!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or