Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 10:23 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

This has gotten ridiculous.

It's only natural that a person who used to live here would occasionally visit this forum and comment on a thread comparing the city he now lives in (and other cities in that state) with his former home. And from what I've seen, he did not bash Atlanta but only defended his current city.

I hate to say it, but some Atlantans seem to have a bit of an inferiority complex right now with regard to its better-performing Texas peers, and it shows.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This has gotten ridiculous.

It's only natural that a person who used to live here would occasionally visit this forum and comment on a thread comparing the city he now lives in (and other cities in that state) with his former home. And from what I've seen, he did not bash Atlanta but only defended his current city.

I hate to say it, but some Atlantans seem to have a bit of an inferiority complex right now with regard to its better-performing Texas peers, and it shows.
My point is that he has not made any effort to actually contribute to the thread, but simply argue with other people. You can defend your city, but do it with class.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I simply stepped in to clear up some misinformation that was posted about the Texas side as I assumed some Atlanta posters may not be fully informed of what is currently in Texas. I'm sure there's Texas posters who are not fully aware of what Atlanta offers as well and I would step in to clear that up also. No bashing of Atlanta or even Houston here. I did not say anything to bash Atlanta or be negative toward Atlanta. So there's no need for any fingers to point at me.
You have done it before. Even when we where not talking about the Texas cities. You will bring up Dallas in a heartbeat in the Atlanta forum. The way u act towards Dallas I would have thought you were born and raised there. Some how you never seem to correct the Texas forumers when they say things that aren't true but your quick to correct Atlanta posters about Dallas. The way it looks is like your coming to Atlanta forumers just to correct people's opinion or misinformed post..

I think that's what the trying to say. Your Pro Dallas and it's okay just own up too it. You can tell u are because u speak so highly of it.

Last edited by Staysean23; 12-23-2013 at 11:28 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
My point is that he has not made any effort to actually contribute to the thread, but simply argue with other people. You can defend your city, but do it with class.
Mutiny is going to straddle the fence. He has to keep his reputation as being
A level headed poster. But I guess he hasn't seen the trend with those 2

I think we shouldn't bring up new Orleans or Texas cities in these threads anymore. That will keep those 2 out. Because they only show up when those cities are mentioned.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
No, you're being pro-Dallas, which entails throwing every other city under the bus, as long as your town is involved.
This I will agree with u on.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, do we? I haven't been on a Texas forum since forever. I simply dont understand the obsession.
It's boring over in the Texas forums that's why they always in our forum. They know they can get a good debate or argument in this forum. It's hard for the Texas duo to be relevant over in Texas forums when there boards are dry.

Like I said if you keep New Orleans Dallas and Houston out these threads you will barely see them

They never show up on important issues like transportation, or any of the big projects that are going on to revamp these city and make this city a much better place. If they were so interested in what's going on in Atlanta you would think there name would show up in other topics not concerning the Texas cities..

Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
You can argue with other people and contribute to the thread; the two are not mutually exclusive when done so in defense of your city. For instance, Nairobi mentioned the fact that Houston, like Atlanta, is embracing smart growth as a counterpoint to another poster who implied that Houston wasn't doing such.

Truth be told, this thread took a wrong turn when it seemed as though another poster wrongly assumed that this thread was created by someone from Texas in an attempt to bash Atlanta when it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Mutiny is going to straddle the fence. He has to keep his reputation as being
A level headed poster. But I guess he hasn't seen the trend with those 2
I'm not "straddling the fence;" I just call it like I see it. I don't see where Nairobi was in the wrong in this thread; he was only defending his city without being insulting, and another poster was like, "Why do y'all Texas folks start stuff like this? Take it over to your forum" when this thread wasn't even started by a Texas forumer. I have to admit that it's a bit mind-boggling that anyone can blame the Texas folks for the dust up in this case.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:07 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Mutiny,

I have alot of respect for you man, but sometimes it isn't all about being right or wrong. There aren't complete white and black answers to most things people discuss begin with.

But the reason you shouldn't defend him so much (And the reason why Ant should just leave the guy alone) is his first message in the whole thread as this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Several former Atlantans I know have chosen to look at it as trading up. So it is what it is.

Like the man said, all y'all have is chicken biscuits.

It only got worse at points from there.

That isn't exactly intellectually stimulating conversation, bringing up a good point, or friendly by any means.

I took it as a windbag taking a quick cheap shot, bypassing the whole conversation, and most likely doing it to cover up some insecurities. Either way, he wasn't showing up to take this seriously and that was evident at the beginning.

If he doesn't want to be a troll, he should stop acting like it and no one here needs to defend him.

There are much more mature ways to approach a subject.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Mutiny,

I have alot of respect for you man, but sometimes it isn't all about being right or wrong. There aren't complete white and black answers to most things people discuss begin with.

But the reason you shouldn't defend him so much (And the reason why Ant should just leave the guy alone) is his first message in the whole thread as this:

It only got worse at points from there.

That isn't exactly intellectually stimulating conversation, bringing up a good point, or friendly by any means.

I took it as a windbag taking a quick cheap shot, bypassing the whole conversation, and most likely doing it to cover up some insecurities. Either way, he wasn't showing up to take this seriously and that was evident at the beginning.

If he doesn't want to be a troll, he should stop acting like it and no one here needs to defend him.

There are much more mature ways to approach a subject.
No, no, no; you've got it all wrong and you obviously didn't go back far enough in the exchange. That was a tongue-in-cheek statement that was made in response to this statement, which could be considered the first cheap shot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Problem is, you still have to live there.
("There" meaning Texas)

This was a retort to a statement that another poster made about Texas doing everything bigger than Atlanta (which is an obvious reference to the state's unofficial motto). Even so, that particular exchange between Nairobi and LovinDecatur fizzled out until the implications were later made that this thread was started by a Texas poster as a way to bash Atlanta.

I've interacted with Nairobi many times on this forum, and while we may have had a run-in or two, he's pretty level-headed and from what I've observed, will only take a cheap shot when only when one has first been thrown. He's not been acting like a troll from what I've seen; in short, he didn't start it.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:56 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,526 times
Quote:
So I've been looking at the Houston development recently and notice that their development in the metro is far more than Atlanta, despite the fact that Atlanta still has more than the vast majority of cities in the U.S.(Atlanta is #5, Houston is like #2 or #3). In fact, there are rumbling of two supertalls being built in Houston, one 102 story mixed used tower(This will make it the tallest tower outside of NYC/Chicago instead of the BoA tower here in Atlanta.It's going to be 1200-1400 feet) and another 60 story tower and I'm just thinking wow...why is Houston and Dallas so prosperous at the moment? Why did they survive and weather the economic collapse so well? Atlanta's metro has been growing so fast, but it just doesn't feel nowhere near as prosperous as those cities are. Only recently have we gotten a mass scale project pre-proposed(the 3 skyscraper project in Midtown), but still doesn't feel anywhere as epic as a supertall.

These cities were once pretty close, but now it's not even close...soon enough, Houston and Dallas will be a tier above Atlanta.
They are succeeding because the government of Texas value dollars over human lives:

1. Fracking to blame? Texas rocked by 16 earthquakes in last 3 weeks ? RT USA
2. Fracking-Harmed Residents Demand U.S. EPA Renew Investigations | Environment News Service
3. The Cancer Belt: Page 2 of 10 | Texas Monthly

You people better start waking up. "The Love of Money is the Root of All Evil"!

If it means that we take a back seat to these Texas cities, so be it. I would rather have my health and sanity than to deal with the problems they are experiencing in Texas due to fracking and other oil related issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta