Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 12:44 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,192,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Just strange to me and I would have expected Atlanta would have recovered almost fully by now...it's essentially 2014, but it's still lagging.

Can you really say it's all due to oil/energy though? Dallas isn't nearly as reliant on oil/energy as Houston is, but still very prosperous.
I read an economy article some time back that said Atlanta will take at least 10 years to recover from the recession, and another one that said that many people who lost their jobs then will never find work again in the Atlanta area and they need to be willing to relocate to find jobs. Neither article really went into depth is to why Atlanta continues to lag.

What I don't understand is all the building while the area is still lagging. I'm no economist though.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:45 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,720,252 times
Many of the Texas metros were not effected by the recession. Oil money is a big reason why those cities never felt effects of the recession.
But, neither of them have the worlds buiest airport and a true HRT system. LRT is nice, but can't compare in speed and capacity.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:50 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,653,635 times
Plus, their higher education system is incredible. They have the token elite private(Rice), but UT-Austin and TAMU both boast billions in economic output, employees(and employers), powerful alumni networks, big college sports franchises(for added economic boost), millions in research expenditure and the biggest endowments around. UT has the largest endowment of any public university, besting even University of Michigan. TAMU is in the top percentile too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_endowment

They have an 88 PERCENT HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION RATE!
Texas Education Agency - Texas high school graduation rate sets another all-time high

Texas is just pwning.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:51 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,075,487 times
Also (if it hasn't been mentioned), no state income tax.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:00 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,259,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Also (if it hasn't been mentioned), no state income tax.
As a former Houston homeowner, property taxes more than make up for it.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:12 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
As a former Houston homeowner, property taxes more than make up for it.
Briefly or in PM...would you mind explaining me why they don't have income tax but instead have property tax?

Old 12-16-2013, 01:29 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,259,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Briefly or in PM...would you mind explaining me why they don't have income tax but instead have property tax?
It's a way to produce revenue that is a) highly regressive, or b) as friendly as possible to "job creators," depending on your ideological commitments. The scare quotes probably betray my bias.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...ncome-ta.html/

Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,612,065 times
No income tax and even with that (compared to many Northeast and Midwest states) manageable property taxes. In 2010, the average property taxes on a 300,000 home was about 5800 in Houston and in Atlanta it was 4700 or so. I am guessing that most people in Atlanta pay more than 1K in property taxes.

I think Texas cities have more economic diversity than many on this board are giving them credit for. Dallas has Southwest airlines, ATT, and more headquartered there. Dallas has 18 companies on fortune 500, metro Atlanta has 13. Houston has more than Atlanta has well, but certainly is less diversified.

Here is an interesting list
18 DFW area companies make Fortune 500 list - Dallas Business Journal

I was at a meeting last week, and heard that three companies that were going to relocate to GA, pulled their plans when the Atlanta cheating scandal happened and one of those relocations was going to the Savannah area! I think our k-12 challenges hurt us and I think the Texas university system is great as well, though so is GA, just much smaller.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:24 PM

3,698 posts, read 5,945,128 times
Mainly energy.

Like OP keeps saying, Atlanta is no slouch. This can't be underscored enough. We have a super-diverse economy, so you wouldn't expect it to boom like an economy that is dependent upon a really, really fast-growing sector.

Latest census housing data, as of October.

http://www.census.gov/construction/b...t3yu201310.txt

YTD, Atlanta has added ~20,500 units. That's #4 in the nation, behind Houston (~40,000), Dallas (~32,000), and New York (~32,000). We're narrowly ahead of Washington DC, then others such as Austin.

I'm actually happy for the Texas cities growing. Yeah, it would be cool to see that pace in Atlanta, but the growth in domestic energy production is paying massive economic dividends for the entire country. Atlanta can't grow unless everyone else does also. So yeah, keep it up, Texas!

Also, our growth is FAR more oriented towards multifamily housing than our previous boom was. Not even close.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,083,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
No income tax and even with that (compared to many Northeast and Midwest states) manageable property taxes. In 2010, the average property taxes on a 300,000 home was about 5800 in Houston and in Atlanta it was 4700 or so. I am guessing that most people in Atlanta pay more than 1K in property taxes.

I think Texas cities have more economic diversity than many on this board are giving them credit for. Dallas has Southwest airlines, ATT, and more headquartered there. Dallas has 18 companies on fortune 500, metro Atlanta has 13. Houston has more than Atlanta has well, but certainly is less diversified.

Here is an interesting list
18 DFW area companies make Fortune 500 list - Dallas Business Journal

I was at a meeting last week, and heard that three companies that were going to relocate to GA, pulled their plans when the Atlanta cheating scandal happened and one of those relocations was going to the Savannah area! I think our k-12 challenges hurt us and I think the Texas university system is great as well, though so is GA, just much smaller.
Yeah, I don't know why Atlanta has so much corruption going on. Why? I just don't get it. Dekalb and Atlanta city schools. It's not good and if what you say is the truth, that's a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta