Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 07:04 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I keep seeing that the growth is due to Oil. Where in Dallas are these oil fields and oil operations?
Yes, Exxon has a corporate office, but that's it. Their operations are all down in Houston. I don't think Dallas has oil underneath it.
East Texas Oil Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-16-2013, 07:18 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Thanks for that. DFW is West of that area. It does have natural gas underground, but Dallas has some of the most strict gas drilling limitations in the country, so I don't think they are relying on oil and gas to prosper.

Also, I'm seeing that Atlanta offers alot more than the Texas cities. I could see that in a Houston vs Atlanta thread, but Atlanta and Dallas have a lot of the same type of central urban neighborhoods and the Dallas area has more attractions overall and water recreation options. Just curious what Atlanta would offer more of.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:25 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Thanks for that. DFW is West of that area. It does have natural gas underground, but Dallas has some of the most strict gas drilling limitations in the country, so I don't think they are relying on oil and gas to prosper.

But Dallas is very close and connected to the East Texas Oil Field. That is what matters.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:28 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
If you compare the types of companies in the Dallas area to Houston and Atlanta they will align more with the types of companies in Atlanta.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
If you compare the types of companies in the Dallas area to Houston and Atlanta they will align more with the types of companies in Atlanta.
I agree....

Their purpose for existence are the same and both similar to Chicago. They are all inland transportation hubs that bring the same kind of competitive edges for certain industries. They are also a touch more... white collar.

However, I also think the US Oil boom (which was not small by any means) fed a bunch of support into Dallas' financial industry.

I also wouldn't argue that Dallas soley relies on Oil to prosper, but they relied on it to mitigate the recessionary effects that were seen nationwide and in some of the industries Dallas had.

Finance, communications, and wholesale trading got hit pretty hard. The oil business was a pretty big customer of the finance industry in an otherwise bad time. Other parts of the nation didn't have that added investment/financial activity.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I agree....

Their purpose for existence are the same and both similar to Chicago. They are all inland transportation hubs that bring the same kind of competitive edges for certain industries. They are also a touch more... white collar.

However, I also think the US Oil boom (which was not small by any means) fed a bunch of support into Dallas' financial industry.

I also wouldn't argue that Dallas soley relies on Oil to prosper, but they relied on it to mitigate the recessionary effects that were seen nationwide and in some of the industries Dallas had.

Finance, communications, and wholesale trading got hit pretty hard. The oil business was a pretty big customer of the finance industry in an otherwise bad time. Other parts of the nation didn't have that added investment/financial activity.

I agree. And its not exclusively the HQ that offers those benefits. There are just naturally a higher number of gas and oil related businesses in the area than in other parts of the country.

When you do consider HQs of large companies, fossil fuel related businesses are well represented in the Dallas metro.

Exxon
Fluor - gas & Oil is one its major divisions
Energy Transfer Equity - natural gas
Atmos Energy - natural gas
Floweserve - maker of pumps, valves etc for gas, oil

Old 12-17-2013, 10:38 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
My brother-in-law once talked me into investing in a couple of oil wells out in Kilgore and they never made a nickel.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:59 AM

119 posts, read 181,723 times
It was the energy boom (including oil and natural gas) help mitigate the impact of the recession in Texas overall, helping cities like Austin, Dallas, and Houston significantly.

But Texas could start lagging the US if there's any type of energy bust.

When I was graduating from Georgia Tech in the early 90's, Houston was severely lagging because of an energy bust.

Oil and energy are volatile industries. Who knows what could happen in 5 years.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:02 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Georgia ain't exactly the land of milk and honey either.
Neither is all your beloved urban cities

Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
While there are many Fortune 500 companies here, could it be that Atlanta doesn't have any specific industry or natural resources to fuel its economy even during downturns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta