U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 3,071,112 times

Advertisements

Do you fell like Atlanta is separated by race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 04:58 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,133,500 times
No different than segregation in LA, Chicago or NYC. Actually we have less segregation than Chicago and NYC. Check out the segregation map

Atlanta recognized as one of the least segregated cities in the US
http://adairpark.com/2010/12/16/atla...ies-in-the-us/

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 12-16-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 05:26 PM

23,381 posts, read 17,551,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
No different than segregation in LA, Chicago or NYC. Actually we have less segregation than Chicago and NYC. Check out the segregation map
In my area its nothing to see people of all races shopping at the stores.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 PM

4,370 posts, read 5,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post

No, if you think Atlanta is separate, then go to your average city in the Northeast, Midwest, and West Coast.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:39 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,814,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
No I don't. My neighborhood, while majority white American, is multiculural and I live in Kennesaw. As for socializing, I have not gone anywhere that seemed to make anyone feel uncomfortable or unwelcome regardless of the diversity or lack of diversity.

That being said, I don't walk around with my ears plugged up so I'd be lying if I said I never heard any inappropriate comments, but it seems those have only come from Atlanta natives. There may be a bit of grudge going on, but I'm a transplant and not part of it.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:49 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,344,288 times
I don't feel, it is segregated. Numbers>opinions...especially opinions of Americans. -shudders-

Like the above posters said, it's like that everywhere. It's natural biologically and psychologically. We tend to associate those who look like us. It's safer that way. Look at history and you'll see why... no need to go into evolutionary biology or anthropology to explain when different groups mix..atrocities happen(whites enslaving blacks, muslims vs hindus, japanese vs chinese, british vs native americans, relentless african wars, middle east disputes.....celtics fans.)

Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 PM

15,412 posts, read 7,873,596 times
Yes I do feel it is segregated but I am from a city that was not segregated like Atlanta is. I think the burbs here are more diverse but the city itself is pretty heavily segregated and it does still bother me even after living here so long because I have seen first hand here that the seperation causes a lot of ignorance and it gets on my nerves.

Those who deny the seperation IMO have never lived in a diverse place. It is less segregated now than it was when I first moved here but it is still glaring and uncomfortable for me at times.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 AM

4,364 posts, read 6,033,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Yes I do feel it is segregated but I am from a city that was not segregated like Atlanta is. I think the burbs here are more diverse but the city itself is pretty heavily segregated and it does still bother me even after living here so long because I have seen first hand here that the seperation causes a lot of ignorance and it gets on my nerves.

Those who deny the seperation IMO have never lived in a diverse place. It is less segregated now than it was when I first moved here but it is still glaring and uncomfortable for me at times.
Where are you from?

Atlanta metro pretty much follows the norm of most metro areas of the US.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:20 AM

4,183 posts, read 4,866,875 times
yes, atlanta is segregated. fortunately, as places like midtown and downtown are continuing to urbanize, census data shows that black, white, asian, and hispanic populations are all increasing, rather than one demographic getting "kicked out" so another demographic can replace it. unfortunately, in the less urban, single-family neighbourhoods in atlanta, this is not the case; many neighbourhoods go from 100% black to nearly 100% white in the span of a few years. it's likely due to the absence of affordable housing.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:24 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,587,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Yes I do feel it is segregated but I am from a city that was not segregated like Atlanta is. I think the burbs here are more diverse but the city itself is pretty heavily segregated and it does still bother me even after living here so long because I have seen first hand here that the separation causes a lot of ignorance and it gets on my nerves.

Those who deny the separation IMO have never lived in a diverse place. It is less segregated now than it was when I first moved here but it is still glaring and uncomfortable for me at times.
I used to live in Columbus, Ohio which has to be one of the least segregated cities I know. But even it has a certain amount of segregation.

One very important thing that most people don't consider in these discussions is that much of the segregation that takes place in the actual city limits is not actually so much racial segregation as economic class segregation. While Atlanta is known for having several well to do majority Black neighborhoods, the majority of African Americans actually living in the city fall into lower economic brackets while the majority of whites within the city of Atlanta are relatively high economic standing. Obviously the poor Blacks and wealthy whites are not going to be living in the same neighborhoods with one another.

The median household income for whites living in the city of Atlanta in 2009 was around 80,000 while for Blacks it was only 25,000. So with half the whites in Atlanta earning 80,000 or higher and half the African Americans earning less than 25,000 according to this City Data Stat not only are they going to be living in completely different areas of town with differently valued and priced housing but they are very likely to have great differences culturally, educationally and socially due to the extreme variation in economic class.

Now out in most of the suburbs you have a completely different dynamic. African Americans living outside the city in the majority of Atlanta's suburbs have much higher income levels much much closer to that of the whites in the area. They are able to afford houses and apartments in the same price range and therefore live closer ofcourse. Then they also have closer educational level and other things in common.

Bottom line. It's only common sense that you would expect a black family in Powder Springs that makes 60,000 a year working at Lockheed is more likely to live on the same block with an equally paid white resident than a former African American project dweller in town that barely makes minimum wage as laborer to be living in close proximity to a white executive that earns 80,000 a year. It's economics really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or