U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 12:26 PM

1,151 posts, read 974,393 times

Advertisements

Is there any change that The ITP area will ever offer affordBle urban living for the middle class that isn't the hood?

Seems like Atlanta as well as the rest of the country is moving toward urban living but the areas that cater to this (mix-use, walkable, transit, street-fronted retail etc) are either dangerous with bad schools or too expensive for the middle class ( I'm defining that by a single person no kids 40k-70k in ATL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 12:30 PM

23,254 posts, read 17,451,661 times
Edgewood, kirkwood, east atlanta, cabbagetown, reynoldstown, O4W, west end.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:42 PM

59 posts, read 111,039 times
Edgewood has a good retail district but I wouldn't say it's exactly a "nice area", especially over by Screven St and Moreland Ave. Reynoldstown is about the same. O4W is a really pretty area and I always enjoy driving through it. If you're looking for affordable, middle-class places try the Highlands or Inman Park. Inman Park has some really nice apartments and small homes for rent that aren't incredibly expensive. The historical area of Inman Park is really expensive, however. Homes there are pushing $1,000,000 plus.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:46 PM

23,254 posts, read 17,451,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halseyspartan2 View Post
Edgewood has a good retail district but I wouldn't say it's exactly a "nice area", especially over by Screven St and Moreland Ave. Reynoldstown is about the same. O4W is a really pretty area and I always enjoy driving through it. If you're looking for affordable, middle-class places try the Highlands or Inman Park. Inman Park has some really nice apartments and small homes for rent that aren't incredibly expensive. The historical area of Inman Park is really expensive, however. Homes there are pushing $1,000,000 plus.
Virgina-highland and inman park are not middle class affordable. Edgewood has nice areas, and a new mixed use project was announced on moreland ave in reynoldstown.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM

7,899 posts, read 12,132,383 times
Middle class folks can afford to buy a home in pretty much every neighborhood ITP. There is a huge caveat though: Your mileage will vary on what you can actually buy.

My wife and I for instance are decidedly middle class, but we live on Peachtree Road in Buckhead not far from Phipps...in a two bedroom condo in a converted midrise building. We don't have a yard, but we didn't want one to begin with. And though we are childless now, we plan on having children in the next few years and plan to stay put. Some people think us mad, but our condo is larger than the house I grew up in and we had 8 people living there.

I think the problem comes in with the whole "Middle class people can't afford to buy a home in a (so-called) good neighborhood ITP" because it usually means that you cannot afford to buy detached house with a yard the same way you would be able to OTP. There are however plenty of condos and townhouses (if you look really hard) that an average middle class family afford, you'll just have to give up space and be ok with the idea that you'll be sharing a wall with someone more than likely.

However, there are A LOT of places to buy all over the city that have a bad reputation where you can have a really nice home and small bit of land. While it may be a fixer upper more than likely and in a so-called bad neighborhood with so-called bad schools, I say so what to that. Some times people need to come out of their comfort zones and be pioneers. If enough people do it, then it will pay off. Just ask the people who invested in the Eastside and Midtown when they used to suck. It paid off big time for those who were patient.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:33 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,197,429 times
I agree with this. We are a family of soon to be 4 in the under $75k family income range living in Midtown - just depends what your priorities are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Middle class folks can afford to buy a home in pretty much every neighborhood ITP. There is a huge caveat though: Your mileage will vary on what you can actually buy.

My wife and I for instance are decidedly middle class, but we live on Peachtree Road in Buckhead not far from Phipps...in a two bedroom condo in a converted midrise building. We don't have a yard, but we didn't want one to begin with. And though we are childless now, we plan on having children in the next few years and plan to stay put. Some people think us mad, but our condo is larger than the house I grew up in and we had 8 people living there.

I think the problem comes in with the whole "Middle class people can't afford to buy a home in a (so-called) good neighborhood ITP" because it usually means that you cannot afford to buy detached house with a yard the same way you would be able to OTP. There are however plenty of condos and townhouses (if you look really hard) that an average middle class family afford, you'll just have to give up space and be ok with the idea that you'll be sharing a wall with someone more than likely.

However, there are A LOT of places to buy all over the city that have a bad reputation where you can have a really nice home and small bit of land. While it may be a fixer upper more than likely and in a so-called bad neighborhood with so-called bad schools, I say so what to that. Some times people need to come out of their comfort zones and be pioneers. If enough people do it, then it will pay off. Just ask the people who invested in the Eastside and Midtown when they used to suck. It paid off big time for those who were patient.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:11 PM

15,309 posts, read 7,821,308 times
Someone making $40-$70K can afford to live ITP. It depends on what type of housing you want and the area, but it can be done without living in "the hood" actually rather easily IMO and I do live in the hood by choice lol.

But we were thinking of buying in O4W, Decatur, the West End, Westview, and in Cascade before deciding to buy where we did. FWIW, we bought during the crazy scamming period over in West End and Westview and I would have preferred West End, there were a lot of affordable options at the time but too many of the bank reps we spoke to kept trying to tell us we had to have specific mortgages and specific sorts of banking products/loans and due to me having a banking background, I wasn't going for that so we decided to look in the Vine City /English Avenue area instead where they were willing to do whatever we wanted for us to buy a home - we ended up with tens of thousands of down payment assistance and having all the electrical wiring and switch box in our house replaced and guaranteed prior to closing along with getting all our closing cost paid, so it was worth it financially to me.

Look for Beltline developments if you are in the market. You are eligible for down payment assistance and special terms for those locations and many of the apartment communities cater to people making within the $40-$70K income range in regards to renting.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:35 PM

7,899 posts, read 12,132,383 times
I should add that when we purchased our condo I was making $50k a year (and thought I was balling because I grew up in the hood. LOL) and my wife just quit her job to start working on her second degree. We just saved up for about 3 years and cut out pretty much every unnecessary expense aside from the occasional dinner out and beach trip. It's amazing what you can afford if you cut out everything but the essentials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or