Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:22 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,225 times

Advertisements

Everyone,

We are starting to look at private K-12 schools now although our guy won't be in K for a few years.

Here's the question.

What are the private schools in Atlanta that are:

1) More liberal than conservative (politically-speaking)
2) Secular
3) Academically Strong
4) Racially Diverse

We have a couple of places in different parts of town so please don't ask what part of town. It doesn't really matter. We can get to most places in the metro Atlanta area.

The most important criteria is the environment in which we place our child.

ETA: We are open to ALL schools that lean in the direction of the above criteria. So, we welcome hearing about schools from Paideia to Pace to Woodward to AIS and back. If you think they meet the above criteria (or at least some of the criteria).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
Galloway and Paideia would be top two. Another liberal-learning option would be Waldorf School/Academe of the Oaks. Pace and Woodward are both non-religious, although perhaps not as liberal as the first two I mentioned. There's plenty of other experiential type schools in the burbs too; look at High Meadows School in Roswell. Children's School in Midtown too. Those are good places to start.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,844 times
AIS also fits the bill.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Galloway and Paideia would be top two. Another liberal-learning option would be Waldorf School/Academe of the Oaks. Pace and Woodward are both non-religious, although perhaps not as liberal as the first two I mentioned. There's plenty of other experiential type schools in the burbs too; look at High Meadows School in Roswell. Children's School in Midtown too. Those are good places to start.
I concur.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 PM

550 posts, read 989,085 times
Paideia. I would love to send my girls there.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:35 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
In town, I think Children's School, Galloway and Paidea would be the best fit, maybe AIS. Love, love, love High Meadows.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Hello everyone. Thanks for the suggestions! Where do you think Woodward and/or Westminster fits i this? Are those schools that would be typically considered heavily conservative-leaning or perhaps not as racially diverse or perhaps religious in nature? I ask about these particular characteristics bc I know that they are strong academically (understatement, I know).

Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
Woodward has more diversity due to its location (pulls from the Atlanta Southside as well as the Northside). Most of the "Buckhead elite" schools have 15-20% students of color. Westminster has quite a few Asian and Asian Indian students. My understanding is that, although it's not "pushy," Westminster students do attend chapel, etc... Someone else can chime in about that. As far as politics go, I'm not aware of those two leaning heavily in either direction. Westminster is certainly less religious than Whitefield or Wesleyan, for example, but definitely more so than Woodward.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:17 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Woodward has more diversity due to its location (pulls from the Atlanta Southside as well as the Northside). Most of the "Buckhead elite" schools have 15-20% students of color. Westminster has quite a few Asian and Asian Indian students. My understanding is that, although it's not "pushy," Westminster students do attend chapel, etc... Someone else can chime in about that. As far as politics go, I'm not aware of those two leaning heavily in either direction. Westminster is certainly less religious than Whitefield or Wesleyan, for example, but definitely more so than Woodward.
That's our experience, CMMom. I do find the Westminster parents to be heavily on the conservative side of things, as could be expected.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:59 PM

Hi AnsleyPark,

I'm really trying to get a sense for these intangibles. Is there a reason that you would expect Westminster parents to be heavily on the conservative side? Is it any moreso than say, Woodward, or any of what has been referred to as the "Buckhead elites"?

We're attorneys. Ok, where are most of the attorneys in town sending their kids (from your experience)? I think attorneys tend to be a pretty liberal group overall. Please advise.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
That's our experience, CMMom. I do find the Westminster parents to be heavily on the conservative side of things, as could be expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta