Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 02:16 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it's not deserted and it's not 'bad' per se, it's just not the caliber of place you'd think would be located in a major downtown area. it looks like something you'd see in downtown chattanooga, maybe. not dissing chattanooga, which i love, but it reminds me a lot of chattanooga. or a mall in columbia, SC.
For that area it's exactly what I would expect. It's a bit ghetto and cheesy, and I guess for many folks it's just not popular with the "right" crowd.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 12-29-2013 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

Replace the Willis with Joe...lol!
Not "what" but "who"...and I think you know exactly who I'm talking about. UA and Greenbriar are both popular place for black teens and a more ghetto crowd. It's not where I want to hang out, but every spot in town can't be so exclusive. UA has been hanging on without the northern suburbanites for years now. Most people can't really comment on how it's doing because they haven't been to UA since the mid-90s when it began to "decline", but it isn't deserted as some have said. It's just not the same crowd as it was then.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 12-29-2013 at 02:30 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
yeah i thought about mentioning greenbriar mall, but greenbriar seems to get more business from what i've noticed.

the thing is, if underground was in the middle of the forementioned chattanooga or columbia, the amount of business it gets now would be acceptable; just like the amount of traffic greenbriar is great for where it is located. the problem is, this is downtown atlanta. it's totally out of place— not the historic storefronts, but the type of development. it could be so much more.
Why? It's at Five Points and right next to the South Downtown shopping district with the run-down but mostly successful retail along Peachtree south of Five Points. It kinda fits in nicely. Any downtown has some nicer areas and some not-so-nice areas, and that general area is one of the not-so-nice in Atlanta. But it still serves a purpose, just not exactly the one we would like it to.

I'm not an advocate for Underground...but it is what it is until someone decides to change it, though I'm not sure any amount of redevelopment could draw the suburban crowd back. Once those people get a certain perception in their heads it's very hard to change it. Maybe the next generation can bring Underground back.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:54 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Not "what" but "who"...and I think you know exactly who I'm talking about. UA and Greenbriar are both popular place for black teens and a more ghetto crowd. It's not where I want to hang out, but every spot in town can't be so exclusive. UA has been hanging on without the northern suburbanites for years now. Most people can't really comment on how it's doing because they haven't been to UA since the mid-90s when it began to "decline", but it isn't deserted as some have said. It's just not the same crowd as it was then.
Gotcha. So is that bad?! If so, how so?

Old 12-29-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Gotcha. So is that bad?! If so, how so?
It's bad in the sense that Underground isn't really for everyone and a large part of the population doesn't see it as a place to go anymore, but in the sense that the businesses remain fairly profitable I would say that it isn't bad. Customers are customers. I'm sure they would be more profitable with higher-income customers, but they just aren't frequenting the place anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta