U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 02:03 PM

4,183 posts, read 4,865,951 times

Advertisements

i'm talking about really cheap, like feed-a-family-of-four-for-$30-or-less-cheap, not $50+tip rich people cheap. i get a lot of suggestions for places that meet the latter definition, which can be excellent places, they just don't qualify as "cheap" to me. even fast-casual places like chipotlé often run in the $40+ range with drinks.

bonus points for healthy foods.

what i've found:

mama mia's on broad street— 2 pizzas and drinks for less than $30

eats on ponce— can sometimes run above $30 but is generally cheap and also HEALTHY.

anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 02:11 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,062,115 times
Victory. $4 sandwich & chips.

Menu | Victory

Old 12-27-2013, 02:18 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,107,806 times
The Righteous Room on Ponce but its not exactly kid friendly. Righteous Room - Virginia Highland - Atlanta, GA

Zesto's on Ponce is great retro fun with kids. Zesto Atlanta ? Ice Cream, Burgers, Chili Dogs, & More!

http://www.bellstreetburritos.com/

Old 12-27-2013, 03:56 PM

3,329 posts, read 3,993,030 times
I was going to also suggest Eats. The cafe in Ikea also has REALLY cheap food that kids love (hot dogs for 50 cents, pizza for $1, ice cream for a $1) and it's actually good. I take my daughter there when we just want to grab something but I don't want to spend a lot of money. Waikikie Barbeque is a place with great food also. You might get over $30 with drinks if you buy the most expensive meals but you can get great meals on their menu for $7.50 or $7.99 and kids' meals are $3.99

I think the trick (if you have young children) is to find what places have specials for kids on certain days and also clip coupons. Those mailers that you get with coupons for restaurants, never throw them out until you have looked through them all. You can always find deals at different casual places in those, even kids specials. Also check Groupon and Half Off Depot for discount dinners where you get a big discount on dinner for you and the wife and then just pay the price for kids' meals. There's another site that you can get big discounts on meals at restaurants and you can feed two adults for less than $20. I'll have to get the name of it from my co-worker and I'll post.

Sometimes Cheeseburger Bobby's (I go to the one on Roswell) have coupons where you can get a kid's meal free with the purchase of an adult meal. A lot of people also don't realize that Chipotle has kids meals. If you choose the soda with the kids meal at Chipotle instead of the milk or juice box, you get free refills on the soda. With Chipotle they don't do combos. The drinks add up but since most places have free refills these days, my daughter and I usually just order one soda and share it. With all the sugar and calories, we don't need separate big drinks anyway. You can do Chipotle for less than $30 if you do two chicken bowls (without guac or do a veggie bowl because the guac is free with it if you want guac), share one drink and get 2 kids meals with the sodas.

Of course eating at home is always going to be the cheapest option (I cut back on eating out and I save so much money!). What I do with my daughter is on like Friday or Saturday nights, I pick fun foods that I know she'll want to help make. We do pizza (pizza crust is really easy to make), taco or burger nights at home and things like that. Then we end it by making homemade cookies and doing a movie or game night. We also buy all the stuff to make ice cream sundaes at home.

Maybe you can do something like that where the kids can help make it and pick out the toppings and such. When my daughter was smaller I'd buy the individual frozen cheese pizzas and buy extra cheese and other toppings and let her help make those. It may not sound as exciting as going out to eat but when you do things like that with children, you save on eating out, you get a better meal and they also enjoy it.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:31 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,046,163 times
It's not exactly a cheap eat, but the Colonnade has an early bird special menu from 5pm-6:30pm Mon-Thursday that includes 1 entrée, 2 sides, drink, bread & dessert for 12 bucks.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:58 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,133,216 times
One of the new spots at KSM is suppose to fit your price range

Old 12-27-2013, 06:15 PM

29,352 posts, read 26,300,848 times
Manuel's is not bad.

These days it's hard to feed a family of four for under $30 anywhere unless you do fast food.

If you go to Applebee's and get four cheeseburgers and drinks and leave a tip you are probably looking at $45-50.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:31 PM

5,231 posts, read 4,282,994 times
If you can stand the mediocre foods, Waffle House.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:24 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,046,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
If you can stand the mediocre foods, Waffle House.

Mmmmm...country ham!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:13 PM

23,049 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Crawfish Shack Seafood | A Louisiana-style Vietnamese-Cajun restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or