U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 PM

32 posts, read 47,460 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move from Kennesaw area to Cumming area (or Buford/Sugar Hill/or Suwanee) this spring/summer. My child has learning disabilities (ADHD/Dyslexia). I am wondering if I should be concerned to send him to schools with top test scores (which are in Forsyth county) being that he has a learning disability. I have been told they will have more funding at the schools with higher scores to help kids, but I've read by reviews on some websites this is not the case for how well their kids with LDs were cared for in Cumming schools (some of them). I just want to make sure my child is cared for with good support at the right school being he does have a LD. Can anyone recommend specific schools in Cumming? What about the other areas, anyone recommend schools in Sugar Hill, Buford, or Suwanee?

Also, we are looking to buy a home in house range of $150,000 -$250,000....any advice also which neighborhoods, family oriented, with younger kids (lots of them) in the 30040, 30041, 30028, or 30024 area codes which are above cities (Cumming, Buford, Sugar Hill, or Suwannee)?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,062,958 times
I am curious where you heard the funding piece. That isn't true.

Since you live in the area, go visit the schools you are considering. Make an appointment for a tour and with the school counselor or ass't principal for instruction and ask questions. Gauge their responses and see if you think the school would be a good fit.

Also, public schools generally don't do a good job with dyslexia. How severe is your child's? Does he have an IEP?

Old 01-04-2014, 06:37 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,760,209 times
If your child doesn't already have an IEP or 504 Plan coming into a Gwinnett school, it will be an uphill battle to get one. Dyslexia in and of itself is generally not recognized as a "Specific Learning Disability" (SLD) or served, and the ADHD will need to be pretty severe in order to get a 504 plan (for extra test time, etc...). I don't know as much about Fulton/Forsyth, but I can't imagine that they would be dramatically different.

It's extremely unfortunate, but many families of children with dyslexia (particularly those who are higher-functioning) wind up having to pay for private tutoring out of their own pockets in order for their child to receive the direct remediation he/she needs in order to achieve to his/her potential.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,851,219 times
How old is your child?

Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 9,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaseballmom View Post
We are looking to move from Kennesaw area to Cumming area (or Buford/Sugar Hill/or Suwanee) this spring/summer. My child has learning disabilities (ADHD/Dyslexia). I am wondering if I should be concerned to send him to schools with top test scores (which are in Forsyth county) being that he has a learning disability. I have been told they will have more funding at the schools with higher scores to help kids, but I've read by reviews on some websites this is not the case for how well their kids with LDs were cared for in Cumming schools (some of them). I just want to make sure my child is cared for with good support at the right school being he does have a LD. Can anyone recommend specific schools in Cumming? What about the other areas, anyone recommend schools in Sugar Hill, Buford, or Suwanee?

Also, we are looking to buy a home in house range of $150,000 -$250,000....any advice also which neighborhoods, family oriented, with younger kids (lots of them) in the 30040, 30041, 30028, or 30024 area codes which are above cities (Cumming, Buford, Sugar Hill, or Suwannee)?

Thanks!
We moved from East Roswell to the South Forsyth area for the schools when our oldest was 2 years old and is now 13..…we were told by many prior to moving here and believe now having lived here for 10 years that we are in the best public school in the county.Vickery Creek Elementary and Vickery Creek Middle School scheduled to attend West Forsyth. I will first tell you I have rewritten this post now 5 times b/c I do not want to be negative at all because I believe every situation is different. With that being said it is my opinion and of some teachers whom I am very good friends with that our pocket/demographic consists of extremely bright children….. More children than there are capable bodies to provide an optimal educational experience for a child who is gifted and/or with special needs such as ADHD….I've only had one friend whose child has dyslexia and her opinion was the school was not equipped properly. Secondly, I will tell you that we have been beyond blessed by the majority of the teachers my two sons have had. These women are amazing, following their hearts and callings to reach and teach every child that God places before them. These are not the gifted endorsed teachers or special needs teachers I am speaking of but the everyday teachers that are all over these two schools. I will also tell you that my greatest disappointment came this year through a special needs teacher. Finally, I found your post because I am currently planning for my son's next school year which I believe will include a private school. Should you choose public, I believe our schools are the best yet I do not believe our county is equipping the schools to reach and teach those with ADHD on a consistent basis. May you have great success finding the perfect spot for your child and their "sound mind" 2 Timothy 1:7. on housing….keep a close eye on our districting….we have had some significant changes that are not for our betterment this past year…a total side bar opinion only comment is I believe there is a certain under current that would like to see those whom are financially capable of having their children attend private school, do so….just an opinion but the last few years have shown me this concern. We recently took on many students from Midway Elementary…ck out that schools demo..

Old 01-12-2014, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaseballmom View Post

Thanks!
on your funding concern…..I have been told by a handful educators…teachers and higher that funding does play a role but not exactly as you have it listed. I refer back now to my longer comment.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:39 AM

10,022 posts, read 9,330,986 times
One of my children has dyslexia. We found that the APS had absolutely no understanding of dyslexia and no program to help my daughter. After a year at Schenck her improvement in school is remarkable. I realize that Schenck is a ways for S Forsyth, but surely there must be options near where you are.

I suggest contacting the Dyslexia Network of Forsyth County. www.dyslexiaForsyth.com. Great organization with great resources

Old 01-13-2014, 07:15 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,851,219 times
The Swift School in Roswell would be closer to you and has a very good reputation for helping dyslexic students. It uses the same approach as Schenck.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 PM

26 posts, read 31,734 times
I'm glad I read this post....I live in Suwanee, my three boys attend one of the top schools. One has autism, the other two ADHD. I had to move my autistic son into a not so great school(rated 8) after a few months he has progressed greatly. I still think they can do more for him. Example: I'm from California, there he rec'd individual speech and OT twice a week. Here he gets group therapy once a week. So I found a very good Speech therapist in Alpharetta: she told me whatever you do don't move to the Forsyth area with a disabled child. Georgia needs to realize these children are going to be adults. Invest in ALL your kids.

I also couldn't believe Georgia doesn't have Gifted IEP. My first grader is so bored with his work he has stopped trying. I had to call a SST meeting for both boys. One is bored to death the other is all over the place with his work.

I wasn't going to write anything but anyone who has a disabled child moving to Georgia needs to know what to expect.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,874 times
Default Question for Sjfinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjfinger View Post
I'm glad I read this post....I live in Suwanee, my three boys attend one of the top schools. One has autism, the other two ADHD. I had to move my autistic son into a not so great school(rated 8) after a few months he has progressed greatly. I still think they can do more for him. Example: I'm from California, there he rec'd individual speech and OT twice a week. Here he gets group therapy once a week. So I found a very good Speech therapist in Alpharetta: she told me whatever you do don't move to the Forsyth area with a disabled child. Georgia needs to realize these children are going to be adults. Invest in ALL your kids.

I also couldn't believe Georgia doesn't have Gifted IEP. My first grader is so bored with his work he has stopped trying. I had to call a SST meeting for both boys. One is bored to death the other is all over the place with his work.

I wasn't going to write anything but anyone who has a disabled child moving to Georgia needs to know what to expect.
Hello,
thank you for your advice! I am moving there with my two daughters. I came in March and visited sooo many schools. Both of my daughters have been diagnosed with ADHD. My 10 year old needs more help, she has symptoms of aspergers and I was considering Mill Springs Academy in Alpharetta. Can you tell me what school your kids go to in Suwanee? We visited there too and I really liked the area. Any suggestions you have I'd appreciate.

Thank you!
Jasmine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or