Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:17 PM

20 posts, read 33,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
I'm confused, are you looking to move to Atlanta for work? Worry about that first. You meet people the same way you would anywhere else; at work, volunteering, etc. There are plenty of white guys here who like to date women in their 30's , so that should not be a problem.
Crime does not permeate every corner of Atlanta.
Not everyone in the South is very religious - and if you want to pursue religion, there are many options here. Neighborhoods I would suggest- Buckhead, Midtown, Vinings, Virginia-Highland as starters.
I work from home on the computer actually

I currently volunteer with special needs children so I'm sure I'll be looking for that again.

I guess the question stems from the infamous 20:1 ratio which is hard to believe!

Regardless, I appreciate the feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 03:22 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophia120 View Post
I work from home on the computer actually

I currently volunteer with special needs children so I'm sure I'll be looking for that again.

I guess the question stems from the infamous 20:1 ratio which is hard to believe!

Regardless, I appreciate the feedback
If you work from home, then you need to live where you can walk out your door and be in the middle of things so you can meet people and get out for lunch. I live in Midtown and as a single female I feel safe and I really enjoy being able to walk to restaurants, the museum, the park.
Good luck on your move.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:22 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,995 times
1) I've read time and again about the number of males seriously superseding the women. I'm nervous about this even though the numbers may be misleading. I'm going to be looking to date and I'm wondering if the ratio is as bad as they say, when considering the fact that I'm caucasian and only date caucasian. ?

The % of men to women in Atlanta is Male, 49.64%. Female, 50.36%

2) I keep to myself on topics such as religion. I don't mind anyone of any religion and I'm very easy going for die hard religious folks. However, to be honest, I wouldn't be a fan of dating a religious zealot or anything. What's the damage for an atheist? I'm curious how serious guys are on this topic there. In Chicago, people aren't as traditional as previous generations and to be honest, I've had some peers tease me that men in the south are insanely religious. I'm thinking that's a silly myth but thought I would throw that on the table for curiosity sake.

Everybody in the south is not that religious. Maybe 75 miles outside Atlanta but not in Atlanta, generally. We will go to the strip club Saturday night and be in church Sunday morning

3) age range. From some articles I've read, atlanta is full of young people which is great but, what's the scene look like for someone in their mid thirties ?

We have young and old people. Fat and skinny. Ugly and cute people. Funky and good smelling people. People with jacked up credit and good credit

4) crime is talked about often too and that the crime isn't as isolated like Chicago. Here we have areas that are dangerous and others not. What's this idea that crime permeates every corner of atlanta? Is there any merit to this question?

Crime is not bad as long as you are not selling drugs, not hanging out in the hood and walking around with 100 dollar bills hanging out your pants

5) last question is fairly cliche for this site but I'm gonna ask anyways. Any thoughts on the best neighborhood to look into as a single thirty-something? I ask because I'm not a fan of online dating so I'll be hoping to meet people in my neighborhood.

Inman Park. Post a picture so we can see what you are working wit

Old 01-06-2014, 03:43 PM

Thank you so much for the feedback!! Happy it's being steered in the right direction. Midtown girl, thank you! Great point and I'll be looking in that area.

Oh and ftr, I'm single in my 30's because I don't watch tv in case you didn't catch that point earlier in the thread. Lol!!

And no pics. That would just be awkward

Thank you again for the suggestions and feedback!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:50 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,995 times
I would recommend you moving to Atlanta around March so you can get settled in before festival season begins if you are looking to move

The best odds from dating comes from being exposed to as many people as you can so I would recommend joining as many Meetup.com groups that you can, join a church, become involved in community events, join professional organizations, festivals, etc.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
I would recommend you moving to Atlanta around March so you can get settled in before festival season begins if you are looking to move

The best odds from dating comes from being exposed to as many people as you can so I would recommend joining as many Meetup.com groups that you can, join a church, become involved in community events, join professional organizations, festivals, etc.

Thank you I was actually looking at the festival's calendar on another site. I'm pretty excited. Chicago is a really big city and I'm more into nature and smaller settings. I don't want to be isolated from people so in my search, I found I kept going back to the Atlanta option. Supposedly great food too! Aside from the grumpy poster, I'm pretty optimistic the people will be friendly too.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophia120 View Post
Are you serious? Because I want to date a like minded individual and inquired ... you would rather be welcoming to a bad person who says they believe in god vs. A good person who doesn't?

Or it was crime question ... exactly what part of my post was so offensive?

You could have easily responded that it's unlikely to find anyone not religious.

Why so abrasive?
I'm an atheist as is my wife, and I agree with you. Many (not all) in the south wear their religious beliefs on their sleeve and they defines them. In some cases they take offense that others don't share their beliefs, since they "know" that their beliefs are the "true" beliefs.

I met and married my wife near Boston, so I don't know what the dating scene would have been for me in my late 20s or 30s in Atlanta. I think you can meet people who are open minded around religion in the Atlanta area, but they are fewer and further between and most likely moved here from elsewhere.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
A woman in her 30s who is not married would be a prize to many men. Perhaps she is very selective.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 PM

49 posts, read 92,518 times
Sounds to me like some people here are trying to guilt trip the OP for stating she is caucasian who only wants to date caucasians. There is nothing wrong with someone if they only want to date their own race. Saying it's "her loss" is just ridiculous. Loss of what exactly?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
If anyone else would like some extra post-holiday time out/off, feel free to continue to bicker, slander, and deviate from the topic.

Read the first post from the OP. That is the TOPIC. Respond to it in a constructive manner - or don't respond. Romper Room is closed kiddies... time to grow up. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta