Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:33 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I'm not sure what they can do, but they should do something. For your commute to the perimeter, it may have been better than sitting in traffic. But for my commute to midtown, sitting in traffic would have been faster. A couple of people around me actually considered getting on a southbound train to go back and get their cars, and to drive back into the city.

All I am saying is that, even if another train wouldn't have been possible, they need some kind of contingency in the event that a delay of that magnitude happens. Some ideas that would have improved the experience:

- Shuttle buses to make up for the lack of trains (they do this in NYC when a train breaks down) that run
between the mechanical difficulty to other stations not being served
- Announcing an estimated wait time, so that people can decide what they should do to get to work on time
- STOP announcing the current time, which just made people more angry
- Using connector tracks (if there are any) to turn a southbound train around after the problem station
- MARTA police to organize the chaos that ensues when 800 people late for work are trying to get onto a
single train, almost causing fights

Just some ideas, and I'm sure the brains at MARTA who know the system better can come up with more. A plan is needed when a delay is going to exceed 20 minutes during a rush hour commute.
To commute to midtown there is always the 110 'Peach' buss. I thought about putting my wife on there too.
I was frustatrated when I did not see any MARTA PS, but they showed up an the northbound platform as that thought came out my mouth. I heard announcements about 'the next norhtbound train was at West End.'
Have you voiced these concerns and complaints to MARTA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Perhaps MARTA should do something about the hundreds of millions of dollars in deferred maintenance.
If this is true, then I hope that some who show up to the meetings will inquire about working on that deferred maintenance.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,981,543 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what they can do, but they should do something. For your commute to the perimeter, it may have been better than sitting in traffic. But for my commute to midtown, sitting in traffic would have been faster. A couple of people around me actually considered getting on a southbound train to go back and get their cars, and to drive back into the city.

All I am saying is that, even if another train wouldn't have been possible, they need some kind of contingency in the event that a delay of that magnitude happens. Some ideas that would have improved the experience:

- Shuttle buses to make up for the lack of trains (they do this in NYC when a train breaks down) that run
between the mechanical difficulty to other stations not being served
- Announcing an estimated wait time, so that people can decide what they should do to get to work on time
- STOP announcing the current time, which just made people more angry
- Using connector tracks (if there are any) to turn a southbound train around after the problem station
- MARTA police to organize the chaos that ensues when 800 people late for work are trying to get onto a
single train, almost causing fights

Just some ideas, and I'm sure the brains at MARTA who know the system better can come up with more. A plan is needed when a delay is going to exceed 20 minutes during a rush hour commute.
I probably just would have given up and hopped in an UberX. Five Points to Midtown wouldn't have set you back more than $10.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:01 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

This is great news for MARTA! And most of the improvements are frequencies being lowered on trains AND BUSES!! Maybe reinstated bus routes or even new routes? Maybe even later service or even 24 hour service? Dare I say it, RAIL EXTENSIONS in the near future?
I'd love to see the introduction of rush hour service. Hell, I wouldn't mind trading that for maintaining 15-minute headways late at night, when the trains are almost never crowded.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
To commute to midtown there is always the 110 'Peach' buss. I thought about putting my wife on there too.
I was frustatrated when I did not see any MARTA PS, but they showed up an the northbound platform as that thought came out my mouth. I heard announcements about 'the next norhtbound train was at West End.'
Have you voiced these concerns and complaints to MARTA?
I haven't, but I plan to. I thought about the Peach bus, but when I looked at the schedule, it doesn't come all the way downtown very often. I don't remember exactly, but the quick headways end at Civic Center station for it.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:11 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,520,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA does not express tracks or extra side tracks, until Lindbergh, to place that train. All they can do is fix the issue on the malfunctioning train or single track. Where would they have turned a southbound train around?
It was very annoying, but still better than driving in traffic.
There's a pocket track just south of Five Points they could use to turn the trains.

Quote:
The brains at MARTA have been keeping the single-tracking garbage going for 13 years and aren't planning on ending it any time soon. Don't expect too much.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
There's a pocket track just south of Five Points they could use to turn the trains.
That pocket track could not be used to turn around southbound trains. The trains would have to continue to Garnett, then the operator walk to the other end, then drive northbound(on the southbound track to enter the pocket track). walk back to the other end, drive southbound on the northbound tracks, and finally walk back to the other end and drive northbound(on the northbound tracks. The way the switch is arranged its only accessible from northbound to pocket track or pocket track to souhtbound.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I haven't, but I plan to. I thought about the Peach bus, but when I looked at the schedule, it doesn't come all the way downtown very often. I don't remember exactly, but the quick headways end at Civic Center station for it.
MARTA just posted an explanation of the issues this week on their Facebook page. This type of transparency is great to see.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:28 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,520,959 times
Are you sure the pocket track isn't accessible SB from the SB tracks? According to this track map it is, I'll try to make it down there to see for myself someday soon though.
world.nycsubway.org: MARTA Track Map

Old 01-10-2014, 01:34 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,234,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I'll try to make it down there to see for myself someday soon though.
Hey, let me how that goes. I've always wanted to do something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta