Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:50 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,751 times

Advertisements

There is another Target a few miles up Pleasant Hill Road around Medlock Bridge. There is also another Target at the south end of Ronald Reagan Parkway. Although neither one of these is in the Gwinnett Place area, they are both close enough to where the Gwinnett Place location probably became to "odd one out" when it came time for the company to re-evaluate and close locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:53 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
When I lived in Buckhead, I practically lived at that 2-story Target. For a while there, it was really the only place to get a lot of stuff intown. There were always quite a few people there.

I still go there for all kinds of things, too numerous to mention.

But that's really wasting time. I shouldn't have to explain what people go to Target for, most people get it.
A lot of people here like Target, so I don't get what the other poster was talking about either. I'm only 38 and I have been going to Target for items pretty much as long as I have had money and access to stores. I also shop at Walmart as well, but naturally there is a difference between the stores in many cases.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanista View Post
But to adress cqholt's point, Target and Walmart have slightly different demographics. The Atlanta suburbs are getting poorer as people move closer in. The Atlantic actually had a pretty good article about this recently featuring Norcross. I know I refuse to go to Walmart due to their business practices and clientele. I'll go to Target as it doesn't seem as bad and they do have lines that are targetted to the more asipirational customer (Toms, Lily Pulitzer, etc). I would expect Walmart to profit from the Atlanta suburbs getting poorer as if what the analysts say is true, the poorer demographics shop at Walmart.
I don't go to Target because about 6 times out of 10 I still have to go to Walmart to get what I need. The prices aren't much different at all, their selection simply just isn't as good. ESPECIALLY when it comes to groceries. Their produce section is honestly a joke.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:29 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This doesn't have anything to do with the Gwinnett Place Target, though.

We're a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG way from that are being too poor to support a Target!

Especially when you consider that right across the street is a Costco, which caters to a much wealthier demographic than Target does.

Shifting demographics isn't why this Target closed. There are plenty of Targets still open in areas with much lower median incomes.

The median income within a 3 mile radius of Gwinnett Place Mall is $64,000. Something else is going on here.
Exactly, and it's not much different in Smyrna. We're not talking about poor people here. They also just shut down ALL 133 of their stores in Canada because they weren't making any money. This isn't about the poor, it's more about Target just not being a go to store for most. Target is closer to Walmart for me and I did my grocery shopping there once....that was enough for me to realize that they didn't have a third of the things that I usually buy. Their meat selection was so small that I still ended up having to go to another store.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:50 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellanta View Post
Honestly... Besides women who are either having a baby shower or are registered at Target for their wedding, who under the age of 47 shops at Target. </end thread>

No one's buying music from target.
No one's buying electronics from Target with Fry's, HHGREGG, Sams Club, Best Buy all in the area and Amazon being at your finger tips.
You're not buying Groceries from Target with Publix, Walmart, Super H-Mart and Aldi all in close proximity.
A correction is in order for Gwinnett Place.

Stores are just all over the place and there's no logic or reasoning for their current location other than them either being legacy stores or they're new developments that are taking whatever real estate they can get. (e.g. Studio movie Grille next door to Baby's R Us, Lumber Liquidators and a store that sells Women's Lingerie).
Just being close to 85 is no longer enough. The area is too spread out
You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. I'm around 30 and I shop at Target on a regular basis...

Old 01-26-2015, 12:15 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I don't go to Target because about 6 times out of 10 I still have to go to Walmart to get what I need. The prices aren't much different at all, their selection simply just isn't as good. ESPECIALLY when it comes to groceries. Their produce section is honestly a joke.
I agree with you about groceries, but the only groceries I ever get at Target are the one or two things I need while I happen to already be there. I go mainly for the general merchandise stuff. Groceries and clothes... not so much. In those respects, I think the Target selection is far better and often better designed. To me, that is where Target does better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta