Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,391 times

Advertisements

This sounds pretty cool...

"In an interview last year, Jamestown Properties officials said a bounty of unique features for Ponce City Market's rooftop were in design phases. On the project's Facebook page this week, one of those attractions — miniature golf — was confirmed. It's a safe bet a round of 18 atop PCM will offer skyline views like no other mini-golf course in metro Atlanta, but what else will be up there? Officials alluded to "food and beverage options," a "possible stage area" and — coolest of all — "a nostalgic amusement area with both mechanical and human-powered rides" for the expansive roof..."

Full Story: Miniature Golf Destined For Ponce City Market's Roof - Market Watch - Curbed Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 12:00 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
How cool is this? I love out of the box thinking.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
I was hoping they would follow through with this. If done right it could be quite popular.

Heres hoping for a reservation system with decent spacing between players.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:12 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I was hoping they would follow through with this. If done right it could be quite popular.

Heres hoping for a reservation system with decent spacing between players.
Excellent idea. My assumption is it's going to be extremely crowded. Not many places for miniature golf in the city, and definitely none with that view and amenities right below.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:31 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Once somebody on the street below gets hit in the head with an errant golf ball, that'll be the end of that.

I actually think the idea of miniature golf on a rooftop with no topography is quite lame. Unless they do it up with all kinds of tacky obstacles like at Goofy Golf, or maybe there's some new technology in how to make perfectly flat golf course holes cool that I'm not aware of.

But I think the idea of some flat rides is solid. That could look quite neat from the ground below, too.

Rooftop entertainment is a great idea. I'm just not sure miniature golf is really the best use of the space.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Once somebody on the street below gets hit in the head with an errant golf ball, that'll be the end of that.
Why not just put up some nets and do a full on driving range? I'd love to see the day when I can hop the Beltline streetcar over to PCM and hit a bucket of balls, and then go downstairs and pick up a few items for dinner at the gourmet market.

And I'm not being silly. It's time for this town to start thinking big again!

Old 01-11-2014, 04:46 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

I actually think the idea of miniature golf on a rooftop with no topography is quite lame. Unless they do it up with all kinds of tacky obstacles like at Goofy Golf, or maybe there's some new technology in how to make perfectly flat golf course holes cool that I'm not aware of.

But I think the idea of some flat rides is solid. That could look quite neat from the ground below, too.

Rooftop entertainment is a great idea. I'm just not sure miniature golf is really the best use of the space.
Trying to remember the last time I used a one-wood at a Putt-Putt. I can't really envision patrons driving balls into the path of pedestrians on Ponce de Leon Rd.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Think back to when you were 14 years old and what hijinks might have ensued if you were out with a bunch of your 14 year old friends.

Take it from someone who has worked at one of these places. The balls end up all kinds of places you would never imagine.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:48 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
This sounds pretty cool...

"In an interview last year, Jamestown Properties officials said a bounty of unique features for Ponce City Market's rooftop were in design phases. On the project's Facebook page this week, one of those attractions — miniature golf — was confirmed. It's a safe bet a round of 18 atop PCM will offer skyline views like no other mini-golf course in metro Atlanta, but what else will be up there? Officials alluded to "food and beverage options," a "possible stage area" and — coolest of all — "a nostalgic amusement area with both mechanical and human-powered rides" for the expansive roof..."

Full Story: Miniature Golf Destined For Ponce City Market's Roof - Market Watch - Curbed Atlanta
I agree it sounds pretty cool to me too. I'm surprised there is enough room for restaurants, a stage area, and an amusement area in addition to the mini-golf course. It must be larger than I think it is. I was amused at the FB page saying as long as they don't put a Waffle House up there and I'm with them on that lol. There's potential for problems but when or where is there not?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
I think a Waffle House in the PCM would be great. Very Atlanta--an excellent way to leave our mark.

Chelsea Market is not going to have a Waffle House...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: