Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:18 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not putting them down, Ansley, but our neighbors to the west never seemed to have quite the polish and sophistication that characterizes us Georgians. It's just the little things -- perhaps it goes back to the fact that they were not part of the original 13? Then there's the unfortunate situation of them being right next to Mississippi, although I know they can't do anything about that.

Needless to say the last thing we Georgians would do is look down our noses at anyone. To the contrary, most of us feel obliged to help out those redne -- I mean, our dear Alabama friends -- to the extent it is possible.

:-)

Alabama does have beautiful beaches and coastal areas. They have some pretty lakes, too. I've never found Birmingham to be "bad" - in fact, they have some very nice areas.

I do think you have a good point about their neighbors to the west!

And as for polish and sophistication... Lord, arjay, you've clearly never encountered my extended family! My Granny could cuss better than a sailor! She would have fit right in with the cast of that new Beverly Hills Rednecks or whatever that show is called!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 11:36 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why does a streetcar require a million dollars in maintenance per mile each year?

As to capacity, many busy urban streets carry 10,000 vehicles a day, and some carry many times that. How many folks do they anticipate will be riding this streetcar on a daily basis?
Because the city or state doesn't have to pay for very much of the cost of driving a car, whereas they have to pay a significantly higher portion of mass transit's costs. It is my understanding that dollar for dollar, the real prices of transit vs. cars are much closer than first meets the eye.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:47 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
i don't get the idea of connecting the entire city with streetcars and nothing else. the fact of the matter is that streetcars operate in a shared right of way, whether that's with vehicle traffic or pedestrian and bike traffic on the beltline. streetcars are vital for last mile connections but are not good for long distance trips because they have to sit in traffic just like cars. this is why we need a better backbone of HRT in the city that will work for longer distance trips and make streetcars only for those last-mile trips. if you rely on streetcars to take people 5-10 miles, you're going to have a lot of frustrated commuters, because it's not going to go as fast as other transit modes.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't get the idea of connecting the entire city with streetcars and nothing else. the fact of the matter is that streetcars operate in a shared right of way, whether that's with vehicle traffic or pedestrian and bike traffic on the beltline. streetcars are vital for last mile connections but are not good for long distance trips because they have to sit in traffic just like cars. this is why we need a better backbone of HRT in the city that will work for longer distance trips and make streetcars only for those last-mile trips. if you rely on streetcars to take people 5-10 miles, you're going to have a lot of frustrated commuters, because it's not going to go as fast as other transit modes.
Streetcars along the BeltLine will operate more like LRT at higher speeds with farer spaced stops. The proposed streetcar network is acting like the last mile connection to those areas not close to MARTA rail, eg: O4W and Grant Park. You are correct that creating a LRT to Cobb is pointless and placing LRT in the 400 corridor as well.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:05 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm so tired of the anti-transit attitude in this city. There's no wonder cities like Houston, Seattle and Dallas are sweeping past this city. Nothing can ever get done about anything without it being political. That's why Atlanta will never push that barrier that separates it from a truly world class metropolis(NYC, SF, LA, Chicago, etc).
How is Houston and Dallas beating us in transit?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
They have built LRT, not comparable to Atlanta's true HRT system. Houston doesn't have a large system, only 2 lines. Dallas have the largest LRT system in US, but lacks the ridership and speed of MARTA.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
I never said they are beating us in transit, but they are actually expanding their systems as we speak. MARTA has been stagnant for 14 years now. A 2.7 mile downtown streetcar loop just isn't significant in the overall aspect of things and does almost nothing to help locals. We don't even really see any expansion in the horizon either.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I never said they are beating us in transit, but they are actually expanding their systems as we speak. MARTA has been stagnant for 14 years now. A 2.7 mile downtown streetcar loop just isn't significant in the overall aspect of things and does almost nothing to help locals. We don't even really see any expansion in the horizon either.
The cliftom corridor has a LPA, I 20 corridor is working on a LPA, and the 400 corridor is starting out. All these studies are needed to qualify for federal start up funds. The streetcar loop is a starter line and will become part of a bigger network. Now that COA can apply for federal funds it'll speed up the system.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:12 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Actually I believe that I-20 has its LPA now and they are into the environmental reviews. Hrm, I wonder if they couldn't start the BRT component of I-20 East before they even build the rail service. Would certainly help to jumpstart things.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:52 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
the clifton corridor LPA sucks. it's essentially a 14 mile streetcar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta